General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #1  

Default Veggies that keep for at least 2 weeks?

I would like to add more veggies to my diet. I don't have a car, so I can only grocery shop every 2-4 weeks, and need to find some veggies that will last all the way to the next grocery trip.

For fruit, I eat more-spoilable things like berries first, and tend to choose thick-skinned things like Red Delicious apples (which keep FOREVER) to make sure I have some fruit until the next grocery trip. But for veggies, once the quick-spoiling ones are gone, I've mostly been limited to frozen or canned...

Does anyone have any suggestions for fresh veggies that will keep for a few weeks, instead of going bad in a matter of days? Things that can be munched on raw are ideal...
kittytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Many veg, will last longer stored in glass containers. Lettuce, spinach and such.

Take a look when you shop at how it is in the store. Is it in the cold side, or just in a crate, no cooling. That is how you should store it.

Lettuce, spinach, kale, etc, will store nicely in glass.

Things like broc, cauliflower, cabbage, the gassy stuff, does not like being sealed up.

If you have access to a cool, dark place, some squash, sweet taters, regular taters, pumpkin, will store nicely.
Hope that helps.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #3  

At least carrots and bell peppers will keep for a few weeks easily and can be munched on raw...
Weightever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I use my veggies to make things like egg bakes, soups, stews, chilis (all with tons of vegetables), burritos, chicken/veggie nuggets, turkey/veggie meatballs or burgers, etc. I just make them and freeze. They don't go bad and you're able to have veggie-rich meals at your disposal.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #5  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

I was reading New Posts & saw this one.

TY kittytoes for your question.

Their posts r helpful to know! I pasted them into my folder.

TY chicks for your Wisdom
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #6  

Beets last a long time! & Frozen veggies can be just as good as fresh
MsMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #7  
it's always something

Leafy greens store well in special green bags. There are a few brands available, such as Debby Meyer and EvertFresh. Kenetic Go Green containers work well. You can also buy a variety of little gadgets that go in your fridge to help extend the life of fruits and veggies. No matter which product you choose, just make sure your veggies are clean and dry before you store them. I've been using the bags and containers for a few years and they have really helped me reduce food waste.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/185/135

Height: 5'2

Squash can last for months.
I know you said fresh, but would you consider going frozen? For many veggies it doesn't make a difference in taste if you cook it well.
LettuceDoThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Height: 5'5"

I think we've all heard, "eat fresh veggies," so much we think it's way preferable, but actually, those vegetables that were picked and frozen on the same day, at the farm-factory, may actually be retaining more vitamins than the 'fresh" ones that were loaded on the truck, driven to the supermarket distribution center, driven to their final supermarket, sorted, put on the shelf, lain there for a few more days, then bought and stored in your refrigerator for a few more days.

I eat salads in restaurants almost every day, but for dinner at home it's always steamed from frozen. I can easily eat an entire bag of California mix at one meal. That's cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, five servings down at once. Yum.

Last edited by FluffyFat; 01-14-2016 at 06:54 AM.
FluffyFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #10  
banned

Beets and potatos last a long time!
sammysummer is offline   Reply With Quote