General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #1  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Question Have any ladies had sudden menstral changes after weight loss?

All of my weight loss info and journey is in my stats and signature. I stared almost a year ago now, I'm currently maintaining and don't think I'll go down to 120 lbs. It's "supposed" to be the max number for a normal weight someone my size according to charts but I don't think that's true for my body! I'm plenty perfect now and fluctuate between 128-131, even if the bmi chart says its still "overweight" .

I've been maintaining for a bout two-three months now with IE. But for the past two months my period has just been bizarre. Last month it was over a week late (completely abnormal for me.) I had a little spotting, and then suddenly my normal-ish flow. I have a copper IUD but checked to see if I was pregnant anyway (I wasn't). My breasts have been getting super swollen around the time I should be getting my period which is not usually what happens for my period.

I did see the doctor about it last month, and he did two blood tests, and even tested me for diabetes. I didn't get called back, which means they didn't find anything (here, no news is good news.) Doctor said the sudden changes are from the weight loss.

Right now, my period is doing the same thing...late with just light spotting and super sore breasts. Has anyone else experienced a sudden wacko period since loosing weight?!?! My doctor was a man and didn't really tell me what to expect. Has my cycle maybe changed, is it permanent, my body readjusting? Thanks so much for listening
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:32 PM   #2  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

I'm in a similar boat, but a little different. After my Husband passed in 2009 I didn't have my period for 3 years. Whenever I'm extremely stressed it's pretty normal to skip a month for me though never that long before. I'd always had a regular flow 5 day period until then. When it came back in 2012 it lasted for almost 2 weeks. Which is also the time I started my weight loss. Since then I've had horrible breast pain for usually the week before it starts. I'd never had that before. Though it has lessened somewhat in pain intensity now they do still hurt. The most annoying thing though is that since it came back it's now 7-8 days long and varies from heavy the first day to medium and very light the remaining days. How I miss those five day periods.

I've never figured out if it's related to my weight loss or if it's possibly even early menopause. Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but at least you know you're not alone.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #3  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

I've lost 22 lbs this year, first time I lost that much. For the past few months, my ever normal and regular 28 days period has shifted to 22 days.
BUT... I am 31 now, so I don't know if it's a matter of age or an effect of weight loss or both.
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #4  

Since I can give you experience of being over weight and healthy weight 3 (almost 4) times across my mid/late 20s and into my early and now mid 30s, I can say every time I was heavier my cycle was longer like 30-35 days and more irregular. The closer I was to a healthy weight, my cycle would shorten to maybe 25 days and was more regular for the most part. My siggy shows my weights. HTH
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

I have only been losing weight for 2.5 months, so I don't have a lot of data to pull from. But my last period was only 4 days long instead of 8 days like normal, and my cramps were half as bad as they normally are. I hope this is a continued effect of weight loss and not just a coincidence.
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #6  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

It may also have to do with the IUD...I'm not sure about copper, but with Mirena, it is normal to experience changes in your period even after you've had it for a year, two, or more.

Then again, I got my IUD around the same time as I started trying to lose weight so it would be hard for me to know what caused what!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

Jesslan Rose , this may be TMI but I'm also a 5-dayer, it is nice to meet another, because I rarely do lol. That said, the one issue I've noticed is that PMS begins sooner & lasts longer than prior to my weight loss journey. I've only noticed this around the past several months (meaning it might not have been an issue my entire journey, for the past 20 1/2 months) but it is not pleasant. I feel like PMS lasts at least 2 weeks, I don't get enough "relief" from the desire to overeat, being overly emotional, and all the other symptoms I get from PMS but when my cycle kicks in all is right in the world (minus the inconvenience of having a period & the period pains ). Even posting this makes me feel like people aren't going believe me when I say hormones cause many of my overeating incidents, but I believe they do. I should also mention I have PCOS, which is been mostly symptom free since my journey, which has been shown to alleviate symptoms and help w/fertility *hint,hint*.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #8  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Cam, I always assumed 5 days was the norm. LOL Yes, the symptoms last longer and are much worse. Also, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until last month when I also had horrible cramps and nausea just 10 days after my last period, but ovulation is another new trigger for immense hunger (and pain) for me. Much more so than just PMS the week before AF. Wish I could get that 'all is right in the world' feeling!! LOL
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 AM   #9  
banned

My sister constantly suffers from that.
sammysummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #10  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Interesting thread...cause i have a 32 day cycle like clockwork and my period last for 3 days but this past cycle..im 8 days late and i took a preg test at home and at drs and both negative..so i seemed to have skipped it this month. I just started an atkins-ish low carb diet so i wonder if thas causing the changes????
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 73.4kg/71kg/62kg

Height: 168 cm

When I lost 15 kg last year, my cycle changed. I also lost someone very dear to me right after that. Due to the weight loss and stress/grief? I got 3 periods within 6 weeks and then missed a month. Since November last year, I have been back on my regular 28-day cycle.
Mickiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 284/279/180

This is interesting...I've had horrible periods all my life and have been on birth control because of it. After having 3 kids, had my tubes tied. My periods were still bad, so Dr put me back on the pill. Now that I've been doing a low carb/low calorie lifestyle change for about a month, I've gotten cramps, spotting and tender breasts a week prior to starting my actual period. (Assuming I'll still start my period next week?)
Sassypants75 is offline   Reply With Quote