Old 09-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #1  
Started IP Alt 1/29/14

S/C/G: 234/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation Soy Free protein shakes/bars?

Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a soy free shake or bar for IP?

I followed IP all last year using alternative products, lost 84lbs and met my goal weight. WAHOO! I started Infertility treatments in January and was on a whole gamut of hormones from BC pill, Lupron shots, Estrogen pills, and progesterone shots. After a failed cycle in April they ran my thyroid numbers and I was high so they put me on thyroid meds (Hypothyroidism). I then did another cycle after the first one and I had a early miscarriage in July. From being on all these hormones for 6+ months and then my thyroid meds I put on 50lbs.

I've been following IP again since mid-July and I've lost 14lbs of the 50 I put on. I've read however; with my meds' I shouldn't have soy within at least 4 hours of taking the meds otherwise I negate their effect. I would rather not wait until 10am to have a protein bar or shake during my 3 day work week.

Ultimately I will do what I need to do. Taking care of my thyroid is priority one, if I can't find a alternative I might have to modify my diet plan accordingly.

Thank-you in advance!
Johnsdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #2  

I use the the HealthSmart Chocolate Drink Mix from Nashua Nutrition. You can buy it in individual packets or a tub and it's soy free! Better tasting than a lot of the shakes I've tried too.
TrueblueRutabaga94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Hi JD - I am hypothyroid (since 2008) so avoid soy as much as I can and found out at the start of my IP journey 8 months ago I have a soy intolerance.
I use Premier Protein (chocolate shake)- it's not 100% IP because it's 30g protein, but I monitor my protein intake and adjust accordingly. Quest protein powders are also soy free and is also good for baking.

FYI - my primary told me hypo's should avoid soy in general, not just 4 hours after meds - also be careful about certain raw veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower- cooked is fine. I would suggest doing a Google search on hypothyroidism and goitrous vegetables
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/184/150 Age:21

Height: 5'11"

Hey JD,

Im doing a reboot again also!! Some new products I found that are Soy free are:

D's Naturals™ The No Cow Bar - Mint Chocolate Chip (All Flavors are acceptable, found at GNC)

Quest Protein Powders are Whey based.

B-UP™ - Chocolate Mint (Most Flavors Acceptable, also found at GNC)

GNC Pro PerformanceŽ 100% Whey Protein – Vanilla Cream (Other flavors available)

Quest Chips are also soy free.
ShelbyLynn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #5  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

I just wanted to reiterate what Beth shared and Shelby.

I mainly use Quest products because they are soy-free and so versatile as I can have shakes, cookies, bread, muffins and pancakes/French toast with them. And, recipe is so simple for all. I bake in advance for the week and store in fridge and take with me to work and travel. They are great because I can't always count on having a microwave and baking cookies/muffins/bread, I don't have to worry and it packs so easy.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote