Old 08-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331.8/308/220

Default Is it impossible?

Hi everyone!

I started losing weight (again) and im reading a lot about it. At 310 I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible. I am convinced it can be done, but can it really? You read that only 1% can lose the weight and keep it off. I even signed up for a gastric bypass forum. Don't know why, maybe because I'm scared it can't be done.

Anyone who has done it have helpfull words?
Whoopdidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #2  
Keto4life

S/C/G: 378/272/250

Height: 5' 0

Well, i have to say i go through loads of days when i have that fear of "can i really do this? can it be done? can i be a healthy weight for the first time ever in my life?"....etc and the list goes on.

I used to have alot of those questions before i ever started on this journey, and realised that the "fear" kept holding me back from ever starting...so i just pushed those thoughts to the back of my head and said, screw it let me just do this one day at a time and see how it goes.

One year later and i've lost 76 pounds, down to 301 pounds...it makes me wonder what on earth i was thinking letting myself balloon upto 378 pounds in the first place. I have alot of regrets about that, but i can't change the past. But can work on the "here and now". So for now i push all the doubts aside and just keep going...praying that one day i will get to my destination.

Wishing all the best to you too!
cherrygarcia80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

Height: 5'7

Woohoo, go cherrygarcia! That's a huge accomplishment in one year! And it is definitely possible, whoopdidoo! People do it all the time, and you can too!
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #4  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Yes it can be done but it just takes alot of hard work
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Can "it" be done?"

I think a lot depends on what you decide "it" means, and how you define success while you're at "it."

When I defined success as losing at least 2-3 lbs per week, I would give up when I couldn't accomplish "it" consistently.

When I saw any significant backslide as proof of failure, I would give up when I experienced them.

When I saw "not losing" as failure, rather than "success at not gaining," I would give up.

When I felt like the sacrifices NOW weren't worth the future benefits someday, I would give up.

And probably worst of all, when I decided that losing it all wasn't possible, I believed there was no point in losing any, so would give up (and regain it all and then some).

I don't know if I can lose it all. I do know that I've not been back to my highest weight in 11 years, so I can keep some weight off. Sure that means it's taken me 11 years of work to get this far, much of it backsliding. After all, I'm up about 30 lbs from my lowest weight during those 11 years.

I don't work very hard, so my results aren't impressive to anyone but me, but even if I never lose another pound, maintaining my 85 lb loss, and trying to lose just a few more, is extremely important to me, because of what I gained in life quality with the weight loss I HAVE accomplished.

I was extremely ill, depressed, and disabled at my highest weight. I am much less so now. Even though I'm still ill and disabled, I'm looking forward to more progress, but even if I never get any better, I'm not willing to let myself get worse again.

Even when I gain, I know giving up entirely will only make my life worse again.

"It" isn't really about the number on the scale at all for me, it's about pain relief and being less sick and incapable.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-22-2015 at 06:22 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It's easy once you find the diet and exercise regimes that work for you. It takes a lot of trial and error but if you make it fun it's a breeze.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #7  

Height: 6'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Can "it" be done?"

I think a lot depends on what you decide "it" means, and how you define success while you're at "it."

When I defined success as losing at least 2-3 lbs per week, I would give up when I couldn't accomplish "it" consistently.

When I saw any significant backslide as proof of failure, I would give up when I experienced them.

When I saw "not losing" as failure, rather than "success at not gaining," I would give up.

When I felt like the sacrifices NOW weren't worth the future benefits someday, I would give up.

And probably worst of all, when I decided that losing it all wasn't possible, I believed there was no point in losing any, so would give up (and regain it all and then some).

I don't know if I can lose it all. I do know that I've not been back to my highest weight in 11 years, so I can keep some weight off. Sure that means it's taken me 11 years of work to get this far, much of it backsliding. After all, I'm up about 30 lbs from my lowest weight during those 11 years.

I don't work very hard, so my results aren't impressive to anyone but me, but even if I never lose another pound, maintaining my 85 lb loss, and trying to lose just a few more, is extremely important to me, because of what I gained in life quality with the weight loss I HAVE accomplished.

I was extremely ill, depressed, and disabled at my highest weight. I am much less so now. Even though I'm still ill and disabled, I'm looking forward to more progress, but even if I never get any better, I'm not willing to let myself get worse again.

Even when I gain, I know giving up entirely will only make my life worse again.

"It" isn't really about the number on the scale at all for me, it's about pain relief and being less sick and incapable.

This is good. Redefining "success" to things that are actually attainable is a good strategy.
luketurner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #8  
will it ever stick??? lol

S/C/G: 283.6/236.8/155

Height: 5'6

This can absolutely be done. Its all a mix of will power and focus and faith really. This is my 3rd time trying and the first time ive not given up after a month of falling off and a time where I do not sneak bad food into my grocery cart when I go. this is the first time where I realize you know what? this will not happen over night. This journey is different for everyone. I think one of the BEST decisions I ever made was to not go throught he Weight loss surgery but that's just the way I feel.
Amberkkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopdidoo View Post
Hi everyone!

I started losing weight (again) and im reading a lot about it. At 310 I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible. I am convinced it can be done, but can it really? You read that only 1% can lose the weight and keep it off. I even signed up for a gastric bypass forum. Don't know why, maybe because I'm scared it can't be done.

Anyone who has done it have helpfull words?
Hi Whoopdidoo! I loved your post, because I've been asking myself that same ridiculous question my entire journey, I will probably still ask myself that question until I hit goal! lol

YES! YES! This can absolutely be done! I've seen it too many times (if you don't have instagram, it is a weight loss journeyer's bff sometimes, because there are so many people on their journey who have so much inspirational stuff to share) my proof that it can be done -

Divaslimsdown on Youtube (her start weight was over 340 lbs.)
Weightwatchergirl1 on Youtube
Makeupgeek on Youtube
Kimberlyuhles1 on Youtube
Big Fat Life on Youtube
tons of others, but I'd have to go through my subscriptions , also me. I don't say that as a personal pat on the back, but just seeing my old Weight Watchers booklet w/a 330+ lbs. weigh in and now stepping on the scale and weighing 215.6 lbs. (by the way I didn't stick to Weight Watchers, I do My Fitness Pal calorie counting but I have a ton of respect for the WW program).
I've been fat since around 7-8 years old, still fat in fact, but I weigh less than I did at 14-15 years old. I remember on a doctor's chart my weight at 16 was 290+ lbs., and weighing 350 lbs. 4 years ago. Yes you can do this!

If you're in it to win it, believe me you will succeed. If you can have a bad day of eating anything that doesn't eat you first, and the next day go back to eating food & servings of that food that is conducive to weight loss, then you will be successful. Most of us didn't get to these sizes without occasionally losing control of our appetites, the most important thing is to KEEP GOING, then to answer your question, yes you can do this. If you keep putting one foot in front of the other, no matter how slowly you go, you will be in a different spot after awhile. I know that you know this already but you sound like me, so if that is the case, you sometimes need it on a pillow or something to remind you lol. This site, Youtube, Instagram, etc. can be so motivational, use those tools to build a healthier you.

Lastly, I LOVE following Weight Loss Surgery patients, they are super inspirational to me, in fact what helped push me on this journey is something a friend who was considering gastric surgery told me -
"I realized I had to change the way I ate if I had the surgery so I thought why not do it now?" she said something to that effect, and it hit me so hard (by the way she lost something like 75 lbs. in less than 5 months just changing her eating). Seeing weight loss surgery patients struggle like the rest of us, hit me hard as well, and let me know that at this time in my life, I am making the right decision to do it without surgery. If I had the kind of days I've had w/my food addiction post surgery, I could seriously harm myself, so I appreciate doing this my way.

Some great WLS Youtubers are -
Mellie May
NoOneStoppingMeButMe
Clusie L (great videos)
Lauren Losing

and tons more, but those are some of my favorites.

I wish you the absolute best on your journey, be honest w/yourself, be confident in yourself, don't let ANYTHING get in your way, not even your own failures one of the biggest killers of weight loss journeys is "I messed up, I'll start my diet again..." no you're still on your journey, you just took a detour, pit stop, whatever, get back on the road. lol

Last edited by Candidcamster; 08-26-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 331.8/308/220

Thanks guys!
Posting on the gastric bypass forum really didn't help. They all say that if they could've done had, they would have. Honestly I dont know if that's really true (I really don't want to offend anyone). I believe it's all in your head. Everyone can lose weight, it's about what you put in your mouth and exercise. And if you do that right, there is no way you gain everything back after losing 100 lbs. But it's the mental thing that's hard I think. I also don't believe in going hard all the time. We got fat because we love 'bad' things, not because we love carrots. And every normal person in the world has that kind of food every once in a while, so I think even in the process of losing weight you should be able to do that. My normal eating habits are the same as my diet ones, except more fruit and vegetables. The reason I gained all this wait is the food I eat outside of my regular meals. And they weren't just cookies, no it was cookies, chips, and sweets(because the chips gets in your teeth). It shouldn't be and, and and and. It should be one thing.

My mindset has changed I think. I had my period and really wanted everything. But I'd rather lose the weight. So I had french fries and a milkshake for dinner. I gained like 3lbs and normally I would've said **** it im going to eat if I gain this much from that little. But I didn't. I'm going to Paris september 6th, and that was gonna be a foodfestive. But now I don't want to. Yes I want croissants for breakfast, and I'll still do that. But I'll try to keep it a bit normal. And if not, I'm gonna make the choice to eat it, conciously. Not just eat for the sake of eating. And I know I will gain 5lbs maybe, but that's calculated in. Maybe some of you think that's not good, but I believe that's the way I have to do it. Also you walk a lot in Paris so I'm hoping that's going to even it out a bit. And if not, we'll see that when I get back.

Thanks candid for all the youtubers, I'll check them out! You have done an amazing job! In lbs it's all about getting in the 100's, in kg it's about getting under a 100kg, and you already did that!
Whoopdidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you for this thread. I needed to read what you've all written here today.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 343/248/200

Height: 5'4"

Oh yes, it can be done. It's just a lot of hard work and determination. Something I have struggled with for years because if the scales aren't moving, I get discouraged.

In October 2014, I weighed in at 343 pounds. I am 28. I have sleep apnea, PCOS, and am insulin resistant. I hit a point in my life where I decided enough was enough. No more excuses. So I started going to the gym and eating better. In July after I had lost 61 pounds, I was told by my doctor that my body doesn't process carbs correctly, so they get stored as fat and I gain weight quickly. I started eating low carb and since then, I have lost an additional 34 pounds. So in less than a year, I have lost 95 pounds. No surgery was required.

I still have a long weight to go because I am at 248 pounds. However, it's a great feeling knowing that my hard work has paid off. You can definitely drop the weight, but you have to be committed to yourself. You have to tell yourself that no matter how discouraged you will get, you will fight through it.

Last edited by lemc87; 09-20-2015 at 10:54 AM.
lemc87 is offline   Reply With Quote