Old 08-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #1  

Default Weight Watchers low carb plan?

Hello!
I am wondering if there is much of a difference between ww low carb plan and a regular low carb diet like Atkins? Is the WW low carb plan easier to follow? I was thinking of joining to get the information packet new members get so I can get the program materials. I don't plan on going to any meetings. With that being said, is it worth it to get the program or am I better off just doing on of the other low carb type plans out there.

Thanks in advance!
snowflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #2  
Less of a Better Me

WW doesn't have a specific low carb plan. However, it is entirely possible to eat low carb on WW. Grains are not required, nor is sugar. They do want fruit or veggie servings but this can done through lower carb veggies and berries.

I tend to eat lower carb and have found WW great for that. I like WW because I like the meetings and the accountability of the weigh in. Also, I do believe in portion control.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
WW doesn't have a specific low carb plan. However, it is entirely possible to eat low carb on WW. Grains are not required, nor is sugar. They do want fruit or veggie servings but this can done through lower carb veggies and berries.

I tend to eat lower carb and have found WW great for that. I like WW because I like the meetings and the accountability of the weigh in. Also, I do believe in portion control.
Thank you for the reply! I read they have a new lower carb plan new for this year. Well they call it a lower carb plan so it's not low carb totally, I just noticed that when I re-read the article I tried to post the link to the new program but it won't let me without 25 posts. But I am really interested in this plan.

I did the meetings a few years back but I didn't find any benefit to it except it emptied my wallet. Id like to try the program again possibly but not do the meetings. I have the program materials but it's from 2012 I think so it's not updated. Do you think I would benefit from joining again to get updated materials?

edited to add: here is a copy and paste of the article I read

On Saturday we introduced Lose Weight Your Way, the most flexible diet plan ever. This revolutionary approach, based on Weight Watchers' tried and trusted ProPoints plan, not only puts you in control of what you eat but allows you to try some of the most popular dieting styles.

Today you can start the Lower Carb plan, seven days of meal ideas that are a delicious, lighter way to healthy weight loss.

Lower carb doesn't mean no carbs, as we know that's not a healthy approach to weight loss. Instead this is about enjoying lighter carbs with a focus on satisfying proteins.

It is important to include healthy, especially wholegrain, carbohydrates in your meals each day so you'll see some throughout the diet.

We have given you a seven–day menu planner but feel free to mix and match the meals depending on what you feel like each day.

This plan is based on a daily ProPoints allowance of 26. This is the Weight Watchers minimum so it's important to not go below this. To get your own bespoke ProPoints allowance you can join a class or sign up online. See the voucher on page 33 for our exclusive offer to join Weight Watchers and get your first week on the plan for free.

If you're hungry you can snack on fruit and vegetables, which mostly contain 0 ProPoints. Starchy vegetables such as potato, sweet potato and parsnip all have a ProPoints value. For the full list sign up online or join a meeting. You also have an extra 49 ProPoints to enjoy for snacks or treats throughout the week. See the box on page 32 for suggestions.

We recommend you include ˝pint of skimmed milk (3 ProPoints) every day either in tea or coffee, with cereal or as a drink.

We have included a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the meal ideas but feel free to switch them for your favourite seasonal fruits and vegetables.

We advise drinking six to eight glasses of fluids throughout the day. This can include coffee, tea, milk, sugar–free squash, diet drinks and water.

Once you have chosen your meals and added your milk allowance if the total falls below 26 ProPoints then you may choose an extra treat or snack to make it up to the full amount.

All recipes serve one unless otherwise stated.

Last edited by snowflakes; 08-03-2015 at 01:50 PM.
snowflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/137/117

Height: 5'1"

Wink

I was at a meeting yesterday and nothing was said about a new Low Carb Plan, so maybe it still hasn't been introduced. Personally, I find the low carb plans like Atkins VERY hard to follow religiously. They are not the way normal people eat on a daily basis and, therefore, seem more like a "diet" to me than a lifestyle-change kind of eating.

The regular Weight Watchers plan is actually fairly low-carb if you really count those points because "white carbs" (sugar, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc.) are so high in point counts that you just sort of naturally reduce how much you eat of them and opt for foods with less "white" and more protein ...but, because nothing is actually forbidden, you don't feel deprived and when you reach your goal, you don't say "Yeah, I'm finished with this diet and can go back to eating normally" ...and then start gaining again.

If "low carb" works for you, you can definitely work that into the WW plan (old or new), but if you are struggling to lose weight, it's probably best not to rely on any one "plan." Rather, just learn to eat higher caloric or high carb foods in much smaller amounts and fruits, veggies and proteins for the rest of your nutritional needs. That's what the WW plan tries to teach you. It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle change
konslerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflakes View Post
Thank you for the reply! I read they have a new lower carb plan new for this year. Well they call it a lower carb plan so it's not low carb totally, I just noticed that when I re-read the article I tried to post the link to the new program but it won't let me without 25 posts. But I am really interested in this plan.

I did the meetings a few years back but I didn't find any benefit to it except it emptied my wallet. Id like to try the program again possibly but not do the meetings. I have the program materials but it's from 2012 I think so it's not updated. Do you think I would benefit from joining again to get updated materials?

edited to add: here is a copy and paste of the article I read

On Saturday we introduced Lose Weight Your Way, the most flexible diet plan ever. This revolutionary approach, based on Weight Watchers' tried and trusted ProPoints plan, not only puts you in control of what you eat but allows you to try some of the most popular dieting styles.

Today you can start the Lower Carb plan, seven days of meal ideas that are a delicious, lighter way to healthy weight loss.

Lower carb doesn't mean no carbs, as we know that's not a healthy approach to weight loss. Instead this is about enjoying lighter carbs with a focus on satisfying proteins.

It is important to include healthy, especially wholegrain, carbohydrates in your meals each day so you'll see some throughout the diet.

We have given you a seven–day menu planner but feel free to mix and match the meals depending on what you feel like each day.

This plan is based on a daily ProPoints allowance of 26. This is the Weight Watchers minimum so it's important to not go below this. To get your own bespoke ProPoints allowance you can join a class or sign up online. See the voucher on page 33 for our exclusive offer to join Weight Watchers and get your first week on the plan for free.

If you're hungry you can snack on fruit and vegetables, which mostly contain 0 ProPoints. Starchy vegetables such as potato, sweet potato and parsnip all have a ProPoints value. For the full list sign up online or join a meeting. You also have an extra 49 ProPoints to enjoy for snacks or treats throughout the week. See the box on page 32 for suggestions.

We recommend you include ˝pint of skimmed milk (3 ProPoints) every day either in tea or coffee, with cereal or as a drink.

We have included a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the meal ideas but feel free to switch them for your favourite seasonal fruits and vegetables.

We advise drinking six to eight glasses of fluids throughout the day. This can include coffee, tea, milk, sugar–free squash, diet drinks and water.

Once you have chosen your meals and added your milk allowance if the total falls below 26 ProPoints then you may choose an extra treat or snack to make it up to the full amount.

All recipes serve one unless otherwise stated.

Are you in the UK?
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote