Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat July 27 - August 2

I've let threatening rain derail my exercise for the last few days. Ouch! A few years ago, I welcomed walking in the rain remembering that I have ample dry clothes at home. Shying away from minor inconvenience is just lazy.

I did take a terrific 2 1/2 hour hike with DW this past week. There are some neat places around here that feel as isolated as the White Mountains of New Hampshire even though only ten minutes from Boston.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill It's nice to feel like the only people in a place. I experienced that with Trixie this morning in the local ravine system. Had to take my car in so she and I went out @ 6 a.m. Still nice and cool too - going up to 35 C highs the next few days. I'm going to be at galleries, malls, and a movie.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

We were out of town last week, near Chicago, where the summer weather was blissful! Now back here in Fla. where it's not. I already have done my stint at the fitness lounge this morning in the A/C. A good thing! More rain is forecast around 10 a.m.

I guess I'm pretty much retired now. Not a lot of work is coming my way. This gives me a chance to catch up on all those things I have been "putting off." Only problem is, I think I was putting them off for some other reason.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We had a lovely weekend with extremely low humidity and nice temperatures to boot. We golfed Sunday and I beat everyone! That never happens! I don't exactly know what happened, but I was hitting the ball straight and far. The best was that I didn't hit any houses. It seems when I'm on my game, DH is off, and he was really off. I think he hit three houses (roofs, mainly, but very errant hits).

Back to exercising this morning after taking last week off due to rotator cuff pain. I added a couple new exercises to my routine and so far there is no pain. I felt less rotator cuff pain as last week wore on but the golf didn't help it as the pain was back yesterday. But so far today, I feel good.

We're still babysitting my DD's three pets (2 cats, 1 dog) so we have a full house. I'd like to be back to normal, though. Still more than a week to go.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Morning all. I'm currently housebound and not thrilled about it. Ellie was spayed Friday and she's bouncing off the walls but supposed to be low key. Dh on the other hand is a mess. He returned Saturday night after three weeks overseas. We went to bikram yesterday late morning. It was a very humid class. He was wiped out after and just wanted to sleep. I assumed he was jet lagged and let him sleep for a few hours. Then he didn't want to get up and was nauseous and dizzy. We thought he had a mild heatstroke but as the evening went on he started having stomach issues. I'm pretty sure it's a stomach virus now. He was up all night with fever and stomach issues. I went to the store at 6 am to get crackers, ginger ale, etc.... I've cancelled my plans for the day as I'm on nurse duty. Why are men such poor patients? I'm going stir crazy!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sorry about you being housebound and tending to the sick and healing, Michele. That's not what summer break should be for you. Hopefully your DH will get better well before he needs to leave again so you can enjoy time together.

I just booked a cruise! We aren't taking a vacation this year because we're so busy at work, and who knows what will be in store for us next year, but we have to plan. We've wanted to do a British Isles cruise but I had no idea what cruise lines to use. But one of my high school classmates is on a British Isles cruise and the stops sound just like what I want so I messaged him and he replied right back. We're booked for a round trip London-London 12 day journey on Oceana's Nautica ship on June 1st! I guess we'll need to get some cool weather clothing.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Took my car in @ 7:30 this morning for what I thought were major repairs. They DID do the oil change. Apparently that and ordering the necessary parts for the rest of it took close to 6 hours.

Back in Thursday morning for the actual repairs. SIGH. Good thing we cancelled the "going away" part of my vacation as that would have started on Thursday.

So lots of hanging around and reading. Tomorrow and Wed. I will go out and do things at the mall and at the AGO (art gallery) and see my movie. Too blasted hot for anything else.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Michele - hope DH is better. My DH isn't a good patient either; but I'm not a very good caregiver when he's sick either.

Allison - how exciting on the cruise! Wow, you booked it a year out almost. My DH and I celebrate 30 year anniversary in December and are planning a trip next summer as an anniversary trip. It's too difficult to do a long trip in December for either of us. We are going to Europe and were thinking of a river cruise, and then another week of just visiting relatives and different cities but we haven't booked yet. He's been bugging me about nailing down just what we are doing and I haven't been able to commit. Maybe I better if people are already booking!

Had a nice weekend of biking both days. Only thing is Saturday it rained while we were out and although it helped cool us off I'm not crazy about the water shooting up in my face from the bike in front of me. Plus I was completely soaked when we got back to the starting point and just ran to my car and put on a towels over my shoulders to avoid the wet tee shirt contest it appeared I was trying to enter. A lot of people go get smoothies or bagels after the ride but I just had to go home after that!

I go back to school on Monday. so I will have to be back to my 4:30 runs on those days.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #9  

Dh stayed in bed literally all day yesterday. He said he had to go to work today and says he feels much better. I wish he'd given it another day. I'm just praying I don't catch it. Dd came home from work yesterday with an awful headache and I wasn't thrilled to have two patients to deal with!

Sorry you go back to work already, Sharon. I don't go back till August 17. Have fun planning your 30th! That's exciting. Our 28th anniversary is Saturday. Hope dh feels 100% by then.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Michele, how is Ellie doing after her spay? Have a great anniversary tomorrow!

I get to stay home for two days and then go backpacking for two days. My new trainee at work is learning fast. I'm sure I'll be working for at least 3 or 4 more months, but he may be up-to-speed by then and I can retire in earnest!

Another hot one in Central CA. Over 100 with clouds still lingering and upping the humidity In the mountains the clouds are producing thunderstorms, which is why I'm delaying my overnight until Sunday. I'll be going to the Tablelands in Sequoia Nat. Park. It's a stunningly beautiful trail-less area mostly above treeline, filled with alpine meadows, tarns, streams and granite.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend!
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
Michele, how is Ellie doing after her spay? Have a great anniversary tomorrow!

I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend!
Hooray for your imminent retirement!

Ellie is doing amazing. She really wants to get out and run but I have to keep her somewhat quiet until her staples come out Monday.

Thanks for the anniversary dh met with his knee doctor today and scheduled his partial knee replacement for December. Recovery sounds awful. I wonder how long I need to take off from work to care for him?

Anyone use uber? I'm thinking of trying them next week to go to the airport. Dh has a service he uses but it's more expensive and they sometimes drive like maniacs. Hope it goes well!

There's a brand new Starbucks by my house. I've been walking up to it and hanging up/ working.... In a week it went from empty to packed! Guess everyone else found it too!

I have several meals out planned in the next few days and then my physical Tuesday. I cringe thinking of what my weight may be then!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Happy anniversary, Michele!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote