Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #1  
Trying hard

Height: 5'.5"

Default I was a sucker for quick fix diets

I’m 65 and over the years have tried them all. From Slender and Slimfast through Cambridge and last year, Shake that Weight. They did exactly what they promised: I lost buckets of weight but then put it all back on, and a bit more for luck. Since January, I’ve been on a healthy eating kick. Apart from my husband who is doing it with me, no one knows. I never again want to hear ‘Oooo you’ve put all the weight back on haven’t you?’ from ‘friends’.
Since Christmas we have both lost a stone (that’s an English 14lbs) and we are now starting on our second. When will we get there..? Don’t know. It is so liberating being kind to myself. There’s nothing wrong with bread, it’s how much you have and what you put on it that causes the problems. We both eat well, but sensibly. If we want a burger, we make one with lean minced (ground) beef, no cheese and grill rather than fry. Chips(French fries) we have if we want. We use a potato rather than frozen oven chips and cook them in the Actifry with just a teaspoon of olive oil.
It’s going to take a very long time but I mean to get to a much slimmer me. Quick fixes are great for people who like them, I just wish I had worked harder on weaning myself off them. In the end I went on them knowing I would fail. I had two sets of clothes, thin clothes and fat clothes so if that isn’t an indication of failing before I start I don’t know what is. Since the new year, I have been giving away clothes when they get too big. I really mean it this time.
I fell off the forum a while ago, and now I have got over family illnesses and have my head back in the right place I feel I need a bit of support like I had before from this friendly forum.
Dollydimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:10 AM   #2  

Default Me too...

I so identify with your story. I've also pretty much tried everything over the years, wanting quick weight loss and for me it doesn't work. Always goes back on really quickly as I haven't seen it as 'for the rest of my life'.

Reading 'Break through your set point' helped me understand it's going to be a long journey and I need to be patient if I'm going to keep it off.

Sounds like you're doing really well - good luck, I'm sure you'll make it
redspecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

So glad you found what works for you. I have a similar story. Tried many diets and had no problem losing weight, just keeping it off and then it would all come back and then some. Ouch!

Then I got wise and QUIT DIETING! Now I simply eat sensibly, making healthy food choices, watching my portions, and moving more and getting involved with life more.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck!

Last edited by applevalleygirl; 08-03-2015 at 04:44 PM.
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #4  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Exactly! Diets don't work. It has only taken me all of my 56 years to get this. Even Weight Watchers and such that promise to teach you how to keep it off forever don't really. At least not for me. Eventually the weight would start creeping back on, and then I would end up worse off than ever. And I think yo-yo dieting ruins your metabolism, making it even harder. For me it is emotional eating and binge eating that I need to solve.

Good luck to you and your husband. You are doing great!

Last edited by Judy Lynn; 10-18-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/155/140

Height: 5'6"

I have spent so much money on diet fads. Good grief. I have stopped that also and am going by the good old smaller portions, more exercising, healthy food way (mind you I'm just getting back on that band wagon as this year has been too busy to eat healthy - no excuse I know).

I was a vegetarian for 9 years and I loved it until I became enemic and my dr made me go back to red meat. That's when the weight really came on. (I was 105 and have gone to 165 at my largest - 155 now.)

Good luck to you and your husband.
wantochange is offline   Reply With Quote