Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #116

Good morning ladies. I guess it stayed warm overnight because the house is kind of sticky overall. We are in for more high temp days this week as it is supposed to climb back into the 90's.

I got involved doing something that took pretty much all day yesterday so never got what I wanted done so I have to kick in and get it done today. As soon as Jack leaves for work in about 10 minutes, I am going to vacuum and get the mopping done then sit down and get those pants hemmed.

My new handbags will be here today along with a long sleeved cotton top I ordered from a veteran's site that feeds homeless veterans. I have ordered stuff from them before and it is always nice. We are waiting to see about Jack's sunglasses because they are on backorder. The optometrist's office called yesterday and changed his appointment from this Saturday to next as she is not going to be in the office. I don't know why they make the appointments like that. She works every other Saturday so they should know by now which is her Saturday and which is her partner's. Anyhow, we shall see if his sunglasses make it here before his appointment, but I doubt it. I ordered a couple pair of sandals in aqua and purple. I have a purple pair of Rockports I really liked, but they are thong style and completely tore out the toe part and to fix it I think would cause me discomfort even if they can fix it. I am all set with sandals for vacation though as I have pretty much every color now with a few besides.

Jean: Wow, what a nice gift for your church. I know they can probably use it. When we went to the commissary on Sunday, we went past several churches and the parking lots were pretty empty. So, I am sure churches struggle to have enough money to operate. I have given up on finding a church here. We have visited over 20 and actually went to a couple for long periods until their pastor up and left and then they had lay people preaching and badly so we quit going. I just watch preaching on tv now when I can find someone that's not a kook. So many of them nowadays preach about how to make more money or have more money, etc and that God wants us to be rich. Sheesh, if God wanted us all to be rich, I imagine it would happen. I like to be taught about the Bible, I can handle my day to day stuff. That's what we found in the churches we visited that they were all about telling you what you should and shouldn't do and how to go about dumb things like one was about your checkbook for heaven's sake. No where in the Bible did people have checkbooks!!!

Everyone have a good Tuesday. I am off to tell Jack goodbye then start on the chores.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #2  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly but it's a chilly morning; it was 53 degrees when I came downstairs this morning. Where, oh where is SUMMER? I've been doing laundry and balancing check books. Mine balanced the first time and now I need to do the gift shop. I noticed I got the dime back from the bank! Bob is getting tractors ready for the newspaper article so not sure when I will see him. Ian's team lost last night and it was a cold, very windy hour and a half. He had two nice hits but was "out" before he made it home. The coach had practice in the afternoon which everyone thought was stupid. He chewed the kids afterwards saying half of them didn't come to practice so they didn't have their mind on the game. They play again Friday and then a tournament game on Saturday. Another dumb thing is, if they win their first game Saturday, they play a second game, and if they win the second game, they play a third -- all on Saturday. I don't hold much hope beyond the first game -- the coaching leaves a lot to be desired. Ian gets the rest of his football equipment on Friday so he is excited about that.

"Gma," hope you get all of your chores done today. Small town churches (at least the Methodist Churches we know about) are struggling to stay open. The biggest problem is the conference head honchos are taking more than their fair share; they base our share on our budget rather than the number of members. Pastors have to serve more than one small church which is a challenge. We used to have an assistant but didn't replace the last one who was determined to start a Mexican service. Didn't happen either. The churches that have the bands and entertainment seem to be growing though. The one Beth belongs to is huge, with one main pastor and five or six associates. They have groups that meet for every possible interest you can think of. I always liked Robert Schuler and the hour of Power, maybe because he was an Iowa farm boy who made "good."

I need to think of something for lunch. Soup sounds good! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #3  

Good Morning! Just taking a quick peek while the coffee is brewing. The sun is shining and it's another 53 degree morning! Today is my lunch bunch and I need to run a couple errands either before or after. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD MORNING IN JULY MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

It is a beautiful day in the ♥-Land this day. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

We bought some more heirloom seeds to add to the ones we already have. We like those the best and they will make a good small garden in TX in containers or in the ground which ever we decide to do ~ maybe both. I still have a few peat pots to start seeds in and will get some more when we get to TX. With the price of produce going ever higher it will be good to have a garden. The neat thing is anybody can grow a garden in what -ever space they live in. We can also grow cows, pigs, and chickens there.

We rented a place to keep the MH at the same place we had the work done on it. They charge half the price of what we were paying at the other place. The city frowns on having a rig parked out front for any length of time. A day or two are fine but the fines build after that. When we load it up with our “stuff” we will park it out front. Next month Will is doing a wedding out at the lake and the folks are renting a spot for us to park the MH there. It will be a good time to make sure everything is working properly in it.

DONNA FAYE How many hand bags do you now have? Will's sermons come right out of the Bible ~ you can check chapter and verse. One is able to lean how to live day to day with what is written.

JEAN Some coaches don't have a clue about managing kids.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-08-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #5  

Good morning to you all. Hot and sticky today with plenty of sunshine. It in the 80's at the moment and supposed to be in the 90's today.

I got those darn pj pants hemmed and so they are all done now. I can give them to my grandson the next time I see him. Hopefully, we can have lunch or dinner soon so we can catch up on everything since he has been busy since school let out. He is supposed to be home tomorrow.

Finally finished the downstairs and was going to clean the upstairs bathrooms except my arthritis is really acting up today and I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night so went back to sleep after Jack went to work for a couple hours, then got up, did a load of laundry and just had some lunch. I have the tv on, but nothing I much want to watch so when I am done here will turn it off until the Cubs game comes on at 1 PM.

Jean: Brrr you are having some mighty cold temps for this time of year for sure. I think the whole north is having colder than normal temps. Unfortunately, unless it is school for the most part the coaches are volunteers, usually fathers and most only have the basic rudiments of coaching. I remember the summer after Jack and I got married he did umpiring for little league and coached some young boys. I was pregnant and went to the games and the parents even back them were brutal to the umpires. After awhile I quit going to games he was going to umpire. I like to watch Hagee out of Texas and I always liked the Billy Graham crusades. Franklin doesn't do national television like his dad did. He looks just like his dad did back then.

Magee: I saw some purple heirlooms at Fresh Market, but they were so expensive I stuck to the lovely beef steak tomatoes. Good luck getting the MH all done up. I imagine I have about 50 handbags or so. I change my bags out about every couple weeks. Just a fun thing for me.

Everyone have a great Wednesday.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. It only got into the 80's overnight so the ac stayed on all night. We are expecting some pretty high temps today and I have to be out and about. Ugh!

I have a cut and color at my salon today and I have to run by Target and get Jack a longer cord for his Ipad and get him a new Iphone cord as his is coming apart. I also have to get an anniversary card for Tom and Kelly as their anniversary is on Sunday.

Thomas and Tom should be back home today from the scouting trip. Kelly was sent a picture of the two of them with all their gear on their back out in the dessert getting ready to come home. I am looking forward to hearing all about his exploits in Barcelona and in New Mexico.

Tomorrow it is upstairs early and get the bathrooms cleaned then Jack is going to get a haircut on Saturday and when he gets back I am going to go and get my nails and toes done I think. I may wait until Sunday as they open at noon. We shall see.

My aqua colored sandals come today then my purple ones should be here tomorrow. Too bad the aqua ones didn't get here yesterday. I am wearing turquoise capris and a tshirt that is white around the neck and gradually is different shades of turquoise as you get to the bottom. Sort of a sideways tie dyed. It is my surgeon's favorite shirt. He always comments how much he likes it every time I happen to wear it.

You gals have a nice Thursday. Keep cool or warm whatever the case may be. Jack is taking me to see the Minions movie tomorrow night. We may be the only old folks in the theater, but I don't care. I loved the Despicable Me movies and have been looking forward to this one. Jack is humoring me by taking me.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #7  

Good morning, ladies! Already in the 80s and headed for 90s and humid this day.

I'm feeling a lot better now that I'm back to the Y. When I was at the pulmonary doc yesterday, he said I'd do better if I quit all grains since they cause so much inflammation in the body. I know I feel better doing low carb so I'll give it a shot. He also explained to me that the pneumonia vaccine only protects against one kind and there are a lot more. Drat!

Faye, I have 6 pair of shoes for summer, 3 for winter, and 3 pair of athletic shoes plus 3 purses. I just keep everything nuteral except the athletic shoes and they are wild mixed colors.

Jean, I'll gladly exchange some of our hot water for your cool weather! The only good thing is we've had rain almost every night so no water restrictions. We have a group of orientals who use our church hall for Sunday services in the afternoon. It works nicely and the church doesn't charge them any rental.

Maggie, when are you going to Texas?

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #8  

Good Morning! It's a nice sunny morning, warming up after a chilly start. I started my day making a bank deposit, then a pedicure, next was a stop at the jewelry store for a watch battery and missing backs for earrings, and lastly the Hallmark store for cards. I found a teeny tiny sparkly purse that I thought Maddy would like for her Maui money. Her birthday is in August so now to keep it where I won't forget it. I need to dust and vacuum this afternoon. Tomorrow we go back to the lake to a send off for Bob's manager who is leaving. We will cruise around the lake on a boat called The Queen, a two level boat that holds quite a few people. I don't think there is a meal planned -- hope not. A humorous tidbit from lunch bunch yesterday -- many years ago when I first started subbing the "librarian" was a short, roly poly, bald man. He had moved on by the time I was hired. Well, he has been arrested as part of a protitution ring in eastern Iowa. The newspaper article had pictures of the men (all old and scruffy) and the women, (both black, fat, and multi colored hair). Everyone thought he was gay but guess not.

Maggie, I thought you were talking about heirloom something else, didn't know they were tomatoes. Ian's first game Saturday, is at 8:30, and the second one is at 1:00. Guess the coach had the first game being played on Friday. We will go to the later game.

"Gma," glad T's pants are done, and hope they fit ok. My iPad cord is coming apart by the plug that goes into the iPad. Wonder if they made a bad batch. Bob got a virus on his machine, just like I did. The tech was able to fix it faster than mine did, but have I have way more stuff on mine. Enjoy your new "do" and have fun at the movie. I want to see Max and it will be here for just a week.

Susan, Bob just had a pneumonia shot and Medicare wouldn't pay. Guess they would rather pay for a hospital stay if he ever gets it. I like the wild colors in athletic shoes; mine are boring white. Glad you are back at the Y and feeling better.

Bob is home for lunch so will grill meat and I think leftover fruit and salad will be it. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. Going to be a blistering day today. It got up to 98 yesterday by the time I picked up Jack. Hot, hot, hot! At least it will be cool in the theater this evening. We are going to the 5 PM show, which is the last regular show. They have it on two other theaters, one is 3D and the other is some loud sound thing. Since we aren't deaf and I don't need to see yellow pill looking things in 3D I am opting for the plain ole screen.

Got my hair done yesterday and I got some of the color on the back of my shirt. She told me to use hand sanitizer on it, so I did then put Shout on it and put it in the washer to sit. I am washing it this morning so hopefully it all comes out. I got most of it out with the hand sanitizer. She did a terrific job as usual though she loves to style it pile up in the middle from the sides. I let her do it that way then when I get in the car, I use my hairspray and fix it the way I want. As I got up from her chair and started out, the owner left her color job she was doing and came over and said hello and hugged me and such. The very first appointment I ever had there for a haircut was with her and would have made her my stylist except the next time I called for an appointment she was out for awhile and unknown when she would be back. Her boyfriend had brain cancer and was dying. It was so sad. She had two grown boys and a grandson and dil so at least she isn't alone, but I felt so bad for her. Anyhow, they gave me Connie and Connie has done my hair since then and that has been about 2 years now. I wouldn't go anywhere else. I bought this Davines brand shampoo and conditioner, which is an Italian company because it actually had red color in it to keep my hair from fading. It was $59! I expected it to be more expensive but not that much. She said to only use it once a week though not every shampoo, but still the bottle is the size of the little individual bottles of chocolate milk and the conditioner is in a jar like cold cream. Hopefully it will last for heaven's sake!

I ordered Jack a couple pair of dress pants and a couple dress shirts and ties for our cruise. He wanted some dressier pants than he has that are not suit pants so I bought him some really nice pleated front trousers in a light tan almost a cream color and a gray. I bought his this bright purple shirt and tie for the gray pants and a canary yellow shirt and tie for the cream pants. I did see the darn things have to be dry cleaned though. I also bought a pair of black compression closed toe socks to wear with sneakers for riding in the car when I am not wearing sandals and some bras. I bought bras that are still ok, but I bought them too big around so bought the same bra only smaller around. I don't know what possessed me to buy them too big and never paid attention and wore them so I couldn't send them back and then realized they didn't fit as well because I bought them 2 sizes too big.

I watched this video yesterday I happened to just see of police in Phillipsburg, St. Maartin arresting a guy on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship and hauling him and his wife and their belongings off the ship. It was filmed by a passenger standing on the guard rail with a zoom lense and you saw him being taken off in handcuffs to a small police car with its lights going and being placed in the car and there was a van with open doors and lights going behind it. They took off two canvas style tote bags and put them in the van and his wife was standing on the pier with one of those huge rolling suitcases. She waved at someone on the ship and turned back around and just stood there. The police kept fooling with stuff inside the van and pretty soon you saw them close the doors, get in their vehicles, pull down the pier and turn around and drive off leaving the wife stranded on the pier with her luggage. The end of the video is this lady dragging that huge piece of luggage down the pier towards town! I told Jack to be sure and behave because there was no way I could get all the luggage I take into town if he got arrested.

Susan: We have flooding issues here as we have had so much rain, but we aren't supposed to have rain for at least two weeks here. I have to say everything is very green. I have about 20 pairs or so of sandals, 2 pair of canvas keds, one in white and one in navy, a pair of leather baseball keds, a pair of Skechers that I love, but can't walk in because of the instep and they are brand new, two pair of black dress shoes, a gold pair of dress shoes and a pair that look like cork. They are all flat heeled, open toed, sling backs. Jack was teasing me yesterday morning about buying a hand bag on the ship at the Michael Kors store. I told him I would refrain as they are too expensive, but he said no way if I found a color I might not have, which he said is impossible. He said "honey, you need purse anonymous."

Jean: I am going on Sunday and get my nails and toes done. I wish I could get a pedicure, but I can't keep my knee in that position for the length of time it takes to do the pedicure. It will lock up on me and then pop out and back in so I gave up trying after a couple times. Now, I do it at home, but have them paint my toes at the salon. I had a giggle at this librarian getting caught being naughty. You never know I guess. I wonder how this Jared thing and Subway will play out. From what I understand it was the guy that ran Jared's charity foundation that was arrested for child pornography so I wonder how the FBI thought Jared was part of it. From what I have been reading he is being very cooperative with the raid they did on his house in Indianapolis and all.

Well girls, I need to balance my checkbook and put some laundry in the dryer. You all have a great weekend!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies! Another hot day in the 90s.

After I go the Y, I'll go to Farm Fresh (grocery store) for they are doubling coupons up to $2. I normally don't shop there for their prices are higher than Kroger or Food Lion.

Faye, As I understand it, the police found a porno file that was emailed to Jared so that is why they are investigating him. I hope he wasn't part of it. I wish they'd come up with a glitter nail polish remover. I get off as much as I can then paint over it. I'll join Fabric Anonymous if you join the one for purses. LOL I went to my knitting group yesterday. We are making tea cozies since we're all tea drinkers.

Jean, I'd call Medicare to see why they didn't pay for Bob's pneumonia shot. They paid for both of mine.

Have a wonderful day!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 07-10-2015 at 08:16 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

☺♫

It is another lovely day here in the ♥-Land all but the humidity is rather on the high side. Went to Wal*Mart to get a bottle of oil oil and a few other needful things.

Last evening we went to dinner with a few folks from the museum to help one of the gals celebrate her birthday. Will is making her a holster for a gun her dad got for her. He is going to fix it up with some bling bling on it which will make her smile. She is a bright young lady who will no doubt be the director of a museum herself one day for she is the under director here.
Not much on my ticket today

SUSAN Prices on everything including food are expected to go up once again since CA won't let the folks water the fruit & nut trees or the vegetable farms we will probably have to get our produce from FL.

All y'all have a wonderful day doing what you do.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! I had my eye appointment first thing this morning and need to go back in a week. After months of watery eyes and having trouble reading the newspaper and phone book at times, he said he thought everything was "fine." He dilated my eyes which I've never had done, and I couldn't read anything on his chart afterwards. I said, "wait a minute!" yadda yadda repeating everything I told the gal who tested me on all the machines, and I don't think he bothered to read. So I go back next week. Our lawn mower croaked and died yesterday right after Bob got one strip mowed. We picked up the mower at the cabin in case Bob can't fix the rider. We've been on the boat ride with Bob's ex-manager and other agents. It was nice but we take our own boat out around the same shoreline so, for us, it wasn't anything new. Now we are heading home.

"Gma," I just read that Peroxide is a great stain remover. I forgotten but I know it takes blood out of a white T-shirt from when a tech spattered me years ago, and told me to use it. I hope you get the dye out of your shirt. You and Jack will be a spiffy looking couple in your new cruise clothes! It would interesting to know why the guy got hauled off the ship. I feel for his wife being left standing there. Could you somehow keep your foot on the bad knee leg, on the side of the basin so you wouldn't have to stretch your leg so far? Just a thought. I haven't seen the Subway guy on the news. Will have to look online for it.

Susan, our grocery stores never double coupons of any kind. The one has different ads in the Sioux City paper and will honor them if I remember to take the ad with me. Bob did try to call Medicare and gave up after spending a half hour on hold. I think he needs to try again.

Maggie, I'm sure the museum gal will love the holster Will is making for her. Does she know he is making it? I was surprised at the actor who appears to be stealing water for his grass and trees (?) in CA. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens to him.

I need to make a grocery list for tomorrow or Sunday. Ian has a game tomorrow afternoon, and we will be back at the cabin on Sunday. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a fantastic Friday!

Last edited by Jean; 07-10-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #13  

Good morning girls. It stayed in the 80's overnight and was really hot yesterday. We went to the movies at 4 yesterday and it was 100 degrees not counting heat index. Poor Jack had to work in a building without air conditioning yesterday so he was pooped when he got home.

The movie was fun and part of it was listening to the kids giggle throughout it. Most of the audience probably missed a lot of the innuendos though as this was set in the 60's and made a lot of reference to it. For example, the minions when anyone was having problems or whatever would say, "que paso?" You know George Carlin used to say que pasa in his act all the time and it became a catch phrase back then. I got to hear a lot of great 60's music throughout the movie, which was cool and the movie was just all around cute. I even caught Jack laughing a lot at it. We had to eat there because we didn't have enough time to eat dinner at home so we just grabbed a hot dog there and with the drink that we shared and Jack got himself a box of candy the snacks cost us $31!!! We got senior tickets and they were $16 total so we spent nearly $50 at the movies. Sheesh I don't know how parents do it.

Maggie: Part of California's water system is fed by Lake Mead as is Las Vegas. Lake Mead is at dangerous low levels and has been for several years. I wouldn't live out there if you paid me, because it will take decades to get the water situation back to normal even if it would start raining out there consistently.

Susan: We have a newly expanded Whole Foods here. I haven't been in it yet, but they bought the Office Max next door to them and expanded it into that huge building so I imagine it is pretty impressive now. I know that the stuff I buy at Fresh Market is pretty much double what I pay elsewhere, but it is better meat and produce frankly. I too hope Jared wasn't part of it.

Jean: Tom Selleck is the actor involved with the watering business. It kind of amazes me as he is so straight up about everything. I have always liked him very much. How could your eyes be fine if you can't read? I have had my eyes dilated more than once. I found that if I didn't try to look down I was always ok, but if I tried to look down like to read a book, everything was blurry. There is more than one reason I can't do the pedicures. My legs are so short that I have to sit forward in the chair to get my feet in the basin, which puts a strain on the back of my knee, also holding it up for long periods of time for her to do the bottoms and such hurts something awful, etc, etc, so I gave up trying.

Everyone have a good Saturday. Jack is getting his haircut today and I am going to try and do a bit of housework this morning before it gets hot.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Satruday and warm

☺♫

It is a good morning this day. Not so much humidity, thank goodness. Coming home last evening we got a nice surprise ~ in the sky we saw where someone had set off some beautiful fireworks; an umbrella of lots of different vibrant colors. Just one went up and we happened to be out to see it. I guess someone found one they hadn’t set off on the 4th but what ever the reason I liked it.

Not much on my ticket to do this day except the regular house work and such.

I am so looking forward to receiving my Can Cooker Cookbook which has over 100 pages of most requested, mouth-watering Can Cooker recopies in it. It is spiral bound and printed on coated paper to resist stains. I receive a recipe a month from those folks and it would sure take me a long time to save up 100 recipes at 12 a year. YEP ~ I will enjoy having that book.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you and your hubby had a great time at the movie ~ snacks sure do cost a lot. Yes, CA is in dire straights. I have folks who live out there but I don't want to anymore. My cousin was in charge of the water out in CA for many years and they got water from other sources than Lake Meade.

JEAN Yes, she knows about the holster and is jazzed. She loved that little ceramic snail with a bobbing head to signify Will was being slow to get her holster finished that I gave her.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-11-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #15  

Good Evening! Our summer weather has arrived! It was hot at Ian's game but there was a breeze blowing. Again his team lost but he put five kids out on 1st and had two nice hits so he was happy. It is supposed to be 98 tomorrow and we will be heading to the lake. Beth and the kids are there so will take the big boat out if it isn't too windy. Today has seemed like Sunday for some reason.

"Gma," I feel sorry for anyone who has to work without air conditioning. I remember life without it as a kid and. when we were first married. I would hate to go back to that! Glad you and Jack enjoyed the movie. Our senior price is $5, or $4 on Tuesday afternoons. The food prices are outrageous! We always get popcorn, can't resist the smell. I can't read fine print early in the morning usually. My main complaint is that my eyes water, and they are better now than in the fall. My contacts "spin" so it's hard to focus on my bell music. I'm afraid I may have to give them up completely and not sure I want to do that. My glasses are Coke bottle bottom thick -- hate them!

Maggie, are fireworks legal in Kansas? I like them too, something magical with the sparkles. The turtle sounds cute.

I have laundry that needs to go in the dryer so better keep moving. Enjoy the rest of your evening!