Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/178/160

Height: 5'9

Default Not Getting Down on Yourself

So recently my weight loss has slowed. I was getting a little depressed/unmotivated because I had started with such a bang and I was hoping to get a bit lower before the inevitable slow down happened. I have been noticing a lot of stalls, not really any plateaus per say because they only last 2 weeks tops. Since it is half way through the year, I wanted to check my 2015 mid point progress, I wasn't expecting much because I remember getting on the scale a lot and thinking to myself "wow this isn't going anywhere".

But.... when I did my progress check up. I have been averaging a 1.37 lb loss per week. An inch from my hips and thighs per month. And about half an inch from everywhere else (waist, arms, etc). (Side note most of that weight came off my butt, I swear I can't find it anymore it is so flat).

I know I have read it over and over again that you should look at averages and not get too down on yourself because of the scale. And I thoroughly thought I was on that boat. Trusting in the process when the scale didn't move for a couple of weeks and telling myself "You have lost X amount so far, so the rest will come off eventually, just be patient". But I was really surprised when I saw the averages because I thought I had not been doing too well this year.

Anyway the moral of the story being. This process can take a long time and sometimes you wish it would move faster because in your head it may be at a snails pace. But sometimes when you take a closer look, it's not nearly as bad as we make it out to be. I think during this process people get down on themselves a lot (especially if you are a re-gainer trying to get the weight back off). We put pressure on ourselves that is not necessary or we put our expectations too high. I know I was wanting to be down to my goal weight by August, which will be a year since I started my weight loss journey and also is the month I am moving to a new country. But the pressure is really unnecessary and causes unneeded stress.

In conclusion of my probably too long post. Don't rush yourself with weight loss, don't get discouraged. If you are working at it, it is happening. So celebrate the small victories.
amy_beth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #2  

This is a very nice post to read. I have my moments that I am bummed. Not too long ago I was stuck around the same weight for 3 weeks, and it felt like it was months. Sometimes it is hard not to get down on yourself, but I just did the same thing yesterday where I looked at my average and I am pretty pleased with my results.
Becs08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Right on sister! It's easy to get caught up with details when dieting - the old can't see the forest for the trees scenario. Reflection is so important, as is optimism and gratitude. I don't know how people can look at the scale day to day to day to day. I guess I used to do it but it drove me nuts, I was basket case when I was doing that. I hated thinking of myself as some piece of meat that needed to be weighed on a daily basis. Stopping the scale abuse was eye opening, it made me see myself in a different way, like there was more to this than just a number on a scale.

Another thing that's been beneficial to me is to stop looking at myself as an arrangement of parts - nice arms, ugly thighs. Dainty hands, wide feet. Nice smile, double chin. Stepping back and seeing myself as a whole person has helped my self esteem.

Compared to you I've made little progress in terms of weightloss. But I'm still on my journey and even if it's slow I want to enjoy it. I may not have lost 5lbs this months, but I was able to do jumping jacks for the first time in 4yrs. There's a whole picture here and we can't have a sense of the whole picture if we're only looking at a number on a scale.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #4  

Becs08- That's great! Ruts can really be disheartening, but breaking through them always feels really good.

Palestrina- I weigh once a week and measure once a month. But when I notice myself getting too anxious for my weigh ins, I like to take a step back. I don't think I could ever weigh myself daily. I think as a society we are getting too accustomed to instant gratification. Weight loss is very humbling in that respect. Because lasting change isn't going to happen over night. So celebrating the victories (like jumping jacks) becomes so vital to the process. When I started I was so overwhelmed with the number on the scale that I told myself that I needed to take it one victory at a time. As I got down to a lower and lower weight I started losing sight of those non scale victories. So this was a great reminder that the scale was making me lose motivation even though I was really succeeding.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #5  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Such a great post! Thank you.

Another thing to look at is the improvements you've made in your health and how you feel.

When I first started, I couldn't walk more than a block without having to sit down for a bit. My husband would let me out at the front door when we went out to dinner or to a mall then he'd go park the car. That's no longer true. I won't win any races walking - but I can stroll with my friends and walk thru the parking lot with my husband.

I sleep better, have more energy during the day and feel less sluggish. Those things alone make the journey worthwhile.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #6  
Jean

S/C/G: 206/202/180

Height: 5'7

I was just this moment trying not to completely melt down, telling my husband about how I've been on this new "eating plan" for TEN WHOLE DAYS and I"m only down to the weight I was a month ago, about four pounds. Sheesh, I've been feeling desperate to lose the first ten pounds, and I want to lose it yesterday. WHICH I KNOW WILL NEVER HAPPEN! But I'm still so impatient and wound up about it. Reading all this amazingly good advice and words of wisdom has helped a lot. So, thanks for taking the time to write it out.

I'm putting the scale completely away and stopping this insanity. When I think my life is worthwhile if I weigh .5 pounds less, and my life is a complete waste if I weigh the same as I did two days ago it IS insanity. It's the terrible way those of us who have lived and died by the scale for too many years have learned to be in the world. I know better, and most of the time I'm mostly rational about it all, but this last ten days I've fallen right back into thinking that I have to lose weight NOW.

I know…I know!!!! Crazy day for me…. Now I'm going out in the sunshine for a nice soothing walk and getting a grip. Seriously.

(sigh…)
jean1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1234 View Post
I was just this moment trying not to completely melt down, telling my husband about how I've been on this new "eating plan" for TEN WHOLE DAYS and I"m only down to the weight I was a month ago, about four pounds. Sheesh, I've been feeling desperate to lose the first ten pounds, and I want to lose it yesterday. WHICH I KNOW WILL NEVER HAPPEN! But I'm still so impatient and wound up about it. Reading all this amazingly good advice and words of wisdom has helped a lot. So, thanks for taking the time to write it out.

I'm putting the scale completely away and stopping this insanity. When I think my life is worthwhile if I weigh .5 pounds less, and my life is a complete waste if I weigh the same as I did two days ago it IS insanity. It's the terrible way those of us who have lived and died by the scale for too many years have learned to be in the world. I know better, and most of the time I'm mostly rational about it all, but this last ten days I've fallen right back into thinking that I have to lose weight NOW.

I know…I know!!!! Crazy day for me…. Now I'm going out in the sunshine for a nice soothing walk and getting a grip. Seriously.

(sigh…)
Your post made me outright smile! Taking a break from the scale is a powerful elixir of happiness.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #8  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

S/C/G: 187.4/164/140

Height: 5' 3"

yay for small victories! love your post and you are so right.
CheesecakeBrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #9  

What a great post and something everyone needs to remember. I am only a few days into my journey and really need to remember all this!

Last edited by Raining; 07-06-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Raining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #10  

Vickie Chickie- Those are great accomplishments. And way more important than the scale.

jeans1234 - I am totally guilty of the crazy days too. I think it happens to all of us. I think it is something most of us want so bad that we let it go to our heads and drive us insane sometimes. I know I have had so many moments along this journey where I feel like it's not happening fast enough. But then I try to remind myself that lasting changes take time. Plus I have found a genuine love for working out in the meantime, so lots of good things have happened.

CheesecakeBrownie- Thanks! Your username makes me hungry.

Raining- Honestly the first few months starting this journey I did not look at the scale once. I went from August until November without looking at the scale. It wasn't until I went to the doctor and they had to weigh me that I found out I had lost any weight. I almost regret letting them weigh me, because it was after that that I started weighing myself every 2 weeks - every month. And then it slowly turned into every week. I have a tendency to become a bit obsessive and want instant results (like most people), so I have to try to keep myself in check. It's not easy, but if you stay on the path it will come off and it will be worth it.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

Great post! I weigh myself once a week because I log my wt each week. Some weeks I lose weight and others nothing. I've even had a couple weeks where I gained a lb or two. To keep from getting discouraged I can go over my log and see that yes I am making progress and I am on track losing at the weight I anticipated. So that keeps me going and motivated when I am having one of those weeks when the scale says otherwise... I know better!

Frankly, I never understood why some people feel the need to weigh daily. Its a good recipe for losing your motivation and being disappointed. I think most of the info on weighing yourself says to weigh weekly and not daily. So I don't know. Sometimes I lose patience when I hear someone complain about not losing weight and in the same sentence talk about weighing themselves daily.
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #12  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

I confess to being a daily weigher inner

To me, it's just another tool - kinda like the speedometer on my car. I rarely get frustrated when the number on the scale doesn't move - particularly on a daily basis. I don't expect it to. The daily weighing thing has helped me figure out a few things about how my body responds to carbs, sodium, etc.

The times I do get a bit frustrated are when I've bounced around in the same 2-3 lb range for 3-4 weeks at a time. That can wear a bit thin. You know the drill - up and down like a see saw! I just know that if I continue to do the healthy things for my body, the weight will eventually catch up.

To each their own. YMMV.

Last edited by Vickie Chickie; 07-04-2015 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo!
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:49 PM   #13  

Height: 5'0"

Thank you for this timely post!

I was just telling my hubby that I feel so frustrated because my progress is slow. It's progress. But so darn slow. It's hard not to feel down about it.

But now I feel inspired to keep on truckin'.

Thanks!
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #14  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Great post! Like you, I use measurements too. It can give perspective that the scale cannot. For example, I recently did my monthly measuring and found out I am about an inch less around areas on my torso than I was the last time I weighed what I weigh now.

I am someone who weighs daily. I can't stay on track without it most times. Occasionally I'll break from it, but only if I can handle it and stay on plan. But for me, weighing daily gives me insight into my body's patterns. It helps a lot - I know I stall/gain 1-3 days in a row with consistency. It's normal for me and nothing scary.

I agree with Vickie Chickie - it's when it's 3-4+ weeks at the same weight that I get worn out, but that can happen with a weekly weighing, too. But I'm learning to play by prison rules with my body - I stick to my plan at all times. Eventually the weight comes off. Slow progress = progress.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote