Old 06-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #115

Good morning to you all. I have to be out and about in this awful heat today as I took off my nails and need to get a new set put on and get my toes polished. I also have to go to Target because I got the bath mat and hate it so want to get a refund and see if they have the one I usually buy in the store and pick up some milk. I am going to go over to Fresh Market and get some more fruit today too. I need bananas, both types of melon and some cherries.

I got two new shirts yesterday, one of which is a baseball style shirt and in lovely cool seersucker. Only problem is my boob measurement is much smaller that what I need to get the thing over my behind so I have to order a bigger size, which means it gaps at the top if I am not careful and the darn buttons are too far apart on this thing so it gaps down the front when I sit down. I am not sending it back though as I like that it is so cool and goes with my banana seersucker capris. I may wear a tank top underneath it and leave it open if it drives me nuts today.

Today my sweet boy Thomas is 15 years old. Where did all the years go? Mom says he is dating and will start driver's ed when he gets back from New Mexico. Scares me to death for him to drive around here as the people are crazy and it is dangerous for experienced drivers. We will take him out to dinner after he gets back. Like I said, I sent him his birthday card with his money in it on Sunday so he would have it to take with him to New Mexico, but I doubt he will be anywhere to spend it for sure.

I am calling a lawn service next week to have them come and clean up the back and deck area. We have no grass, but we have leaves and sticks all over and it is just too much for us to be doing in this heat. We also need our big tree trimmed back and we don't have the equipment or the ladder to get up and do that anyway. I am hoping it won't be too expensive.

Jean: What kind of fruit did you get? It sure isn't cheap. I paid $15 for a bag of cherries and they were moldy so ended up having to get my money back. They fell all over themselves apologizing and didn't question it a bit. They refunded me the money right away even though I had no receipt and did it online through their corporate office. Tell Bob I feel for him. I felt like I had a baseball under both shoulder blades the last couple days. I have used roll on Icy Hot and a heating pad and finally they have eased up.

Tonight is hot dog night as Jack has been craving them. I am having red cabbage with mine instead of chips or tots or something. I also just put mustard and a dab of relish and onions but he has chili dogs. Thank goodness I am losing weight again. I lost 7 lbs this week.

Have a great day!!!

Last edited by gma22; 06-25-2015 at 09:23 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Day

GOOD MORNING IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

I just got back from the dentist having my teeth cleaned and a check up. YEAH I am cavity free. My next cleaning will be in about 6 months. Will has a small cavity so he has to go back this month.

Will is at the museum this afternoon then a presentation there this evening. In about half hour I will make my first protein drink of the day. I think I will make a strawberry one.

Our Jeep sure likes having that metal radiator now that it is installed and that plastic one disposed of. It sure makes the Jeep run better also since it can breathe better.

DONNA FAYE You could put stick on velcro fasteners in between where the buttons are on that blouse and solve the gaping problem. Congratulations on that huge weight loss.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it's cool this morning. Still haven't heard from the car dealer saying the computer is up and running. I'm sure that is frustrating for them when everything they do is connected to the computer. We will be leaving mid-afternoon for Ian's game which is the last early game, three more late ones and a make-up before the 4th. That early game hour plus makes such a difference coming home. I woke up at 3 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so got up at 4. I'm beginning to feel it now.

"Gma," to Thomas! Have you ever tried just having the nail "goop" applied to your own nails rather than gluing on new ones? My nails aren't super long but are longer than the end of my finger. When I first started going to this salon, one of the nails was loose on one edge. He said, "time for them to come off." My own nails were long enough to go without the acrylic nail. I used to soak mine off at home and that is a pain. I was going to suggest sewing a tiny snap in strategic places on your blouse. I've been known to use tiny safety pins or even tape in a pinch. I bought bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, and grapes. I really wanted strawberries but couldn't find any that didn't have bad ones in the box. Bob likes cherries but they didn't look the best either. He will eat everything I brought home so it won't last long. on losing 7 big ones! You're on your way!

Maggie, glad to hear your teeth are squeaky clean and no cavities! How does the stick on Velcro wash? I've never used it but it would be faster than sewing.

The dishwasher should be finished soon. We had fresh fruit, potato salad, and grilled hamburgers for lunch. Hope you all have a nice day and do something you enjoy!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone. It is supposed to cool off slightly between now and the weekend. I know it was miserable yesterday and I was sick all evening from going in and out of ac buildings then out in the heat. It does that to me when I have a lot of errands where I am going into the cool buildings then out in and heat and back and forth and I ran a lot of errands yesterday. I am fine this morning.

I ordered some new pots and pans, cake pans and cookie sheets from Macys and they should be in today. I have needed to replace my stuff for awhile and they had a big housewares sale so I jumped on it.

I went and got my nails and toes done yesterday, then went to Target to get a new rubber bath mat and picked up some milk for Jack, some reduced fat club crackers, and some cashew milk, which I want to try instead of the skim milk and see how I like it in my protein shakes. I'll let you know how it goes. It is supposed to be creamier than skim milk, which Jack calls water. I had forgotten the mat I wanted to take back to Target so came home and put everything away, then out I went again and back to another Target to take the mat back, then out to Fresh Market to get my fruit. I restocked on cantaloupe, watermelon, and cherries and got some potato salad for last night, but ended up not having any as I didn't feel well. Oh and I bought some sf chocolate covered raisins and some sf gummy bears just in case I have a craving for sweet. You can only eat a tiny bit of these or you will think you took a laxative so it keeps you under control as to the amount you eat. I am home and put it all away and had a bite of lunch then had to go back out and get Jack from work. They are on their summer schedule, which Jack refuses to do, so he and two electricians were the only people out there from 2-3 except for the office staff and the operators who have to be there 24-7. He says he is not going to get up at 4 AM to go to work so he stays on his 7-3 schedule when everyone else works 6-2.

I got an email from our friends from Kansas City and she ask if we were going on a cruise next year. I think they might want to go so I emailed her back and gave her our info, so we shall see if they want to go as we will be going to the same place again.

I have some leftover Velcro disks I bought to put on the pockets of my jewelry hangers so I might use those for the shirt. We shall see. I am not sure how well they would go through the washer as they are stick ons.

Maggie: The protein powder I have is strawberry, rocky road, cupcake batter, and ice cream sandwich. I haven't tried the ice cream sandwich, but the other flavors are good, though I change them because I add fruit to them. I am hoping by using the cashew milk they will have a little more body to them as they are pretty foamy with skim milk and I don't like using shakers as they don't ever seem to break up the powder enough and you can't use fruit in shakers. I have a Ninja blender that works great.

Jean: The place I go to get my nails done always does tips, but that is ok as my nails are very thin and when I used to just have the stuff spread up onto a paper form, they would always break off before I would go the next time. I haven't ever had any trouble with fungus or anything so they do ok. I do get acrylic and not gel. Gel nails are a lot harder to get off than acryllics and cost more too. I have lavender nails and toes for a couple weeks this time. We had the hot dogs last night and I just had a dog in a bun with mustard as I wasn't feeling to well. When I am out in the heat like that I get a queasy stomach and a headache.

You gals have a great weekend. We are going to go to Lowes and get some work gloves and get the broken glass out of the storm window I think and maybe do some grilling. I am going to call the lawn people next week and get them out here to clean up. It is such a mess.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, no wind, and it's a beautiful day in my neighborhood! I feel like Mr. Rogers and I should be singing. Bob's manager sent out an email at the beginning of the week requesting a five minute conference call this morning. He lives up in the cabin vicinity, and is in charge of several counties. He wanted to tell the agents and office staff that he was officially quitting as of this afternoon. The company has had four managers quit this month; I would think the company would be taking a look at why. We went to visit his secretary to tell her the news. She told Bob she thinks it will be mid-September, at the earliest, for her to be able to come back to the office. I made a macaroni and tuna salad for supper tonight. I haven't made one in years and, in fact, forgot about it until my cousin mentioned how much she liked it when my mom made it when we were kids.

"Gma," it would be nice to have housekeeping "showers" every so many years. I have some white bath towels that we got for a wedding gift and have never used. I'd hate to guess how many sets of towels, sheets, kitchen items, etc., that I have replaced in the last almost 48 years! The new colors and designs are so appealing. Have fun with your new pots and pans! Bob won't drink skim milk either. Like Jack, he says it's like water. What is the brand name of the protein powder you like? I thought the Gel was a nail polish, not the nail itself. I've seen that stores are advertising them. I take my own boring pink polish, and sparkly red for my toes. I notice some gals bring their own files, etc., but I don't have those either. Be careful with the broken glass!

Bob just came in and asked about supper. Guess that is my cue to get it on the table. Still haven't heard anything on the car. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday evening!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD EVENING IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

Good evening Magnolias. We have been out and about and Will bought me a watch. One of those solar powered ones. Just think if there is an electro-magnetic pulse or a solar flare (last one was in the 1920’s or there about) the cars will all be stopped in their tracks and anything with a battery will STOP but my watch will still tell me the proper time.

DONNA FAYE What type of drink do you make? Is a meal replacement nutritious drink OK by your doctor?

JEAN Macaroni and tuna salad is good. There are all kinds of ways to make it and one can find one that suits their taste.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-26-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. We had a thunder boomer come through last night, but if it rained, it wasn't much. It supposedly cooled everything off through the weekend so we shall see.

I am going to have to vacuum again today. All my stuff came yesterday and I dragged sticks and leaves and stuff into the house trying to get the darn boxes in. I wanted to get them in and washed up and put away before Jack got home and discard the old stuff, which I did. I got anodized pots and pans and some nice heavy duty baking sheets and cake pans. I was really surprised by the weight of the cake pans so they should last awhile. I don't make round cakes, but for biscuits or cinnamon rolls or that sort of thing they are great.

We are having steak for dinner tonight and I am cooking the corn. I am going to have to husk them though as the husks are drying out it looks like. I so rarely buy fresh corn I guess I don't think about using it right away. I made the pan roasted brussel sprouts last night with pork chops and he had mashed potato and I had purple cabbage with the sprouts. He did eat some of them though it was only about one cooking spoon full.

Maggie: Enjoy your watch!

Jean: What are the managers all so miffed about that they are quitting? Hope Bob's secretary is on the mend. Who is doing her work while she is out? You'll have to email me your recipe. One of the lady's from our church used to make it and it was delicious. I haven't had any in a very long time and that sounds good. Of course, Jack won't eat tuna. I like to take those little single serving Kraft macaroni and cheese and one of those single servings of tuna and mix them together for lunch once in awhile. I like tuna in mac and cheese. It is just called protein milkshake. I buy it at Amazon and really like it. It is no sugar, no fat, but packs 22g of protein and is made for women. Since my son is part owner in a jui jitsu dojo and works out and drinks protein shakes, I asked him to look at he ingredients. He said it had a good amount of protein, which is good for abating hunger. All in all I like what I have bought and the cashew milk is so much better in it that skim milk. With the skim milk it was like drinking foam, but this was much more like a milkshake sans the ice cream of course! One thing I found was no blueberries in it as the skins end up in minute pieces and makes the consistency really icky, but so far all the other fruits I have used have been great.

Well I guess I had better go. You all have a nice Saturday.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and no wind. It is more humid though not terribly hot. I've been doing laundry and sorting through the clutter. I swear I am on every catalog and junk list there is. The furnace man called late yesterday afternoon and wanted to come and look at the furnace. I asked if we could schedule next week instead. I didn't tell him but I would like to at least vacuum the kitty litter and cobwebs before he comes. We had a Sears repairman friend who said everyone keeps their cat boxes next to the washers and dryers. Mine are in the same room but not close and I scoop them every day.

Maggie, I am curious about your watch. I thought anything solar needed sunshine to continuously work? I'm sure you will enjoy it! The salad turned out good and Bob said it was extra good since I didn't have any peas in it.

"Gma," it seems we have had lots of thunder this summer. In fact, the sun was shining yesterday and we had some really loud rumbles. Strange. The office has a temporary gal filling in at the office, but she is willing to stay on permanently. Bob says she is so upbeat and cheerful, fun to have in the office. When I was still at school I know the athletes were into the protein drinks. I don't know if that is what Ensure and Boost are, but Bob's mom drank those.

The insurance company structure is so different from when Bob started almost 34 years ago. Then his manager covered only two counties, and maybe 7-8 agents and two secretaries. Now the managers have several counties, multiple office staff, and maybe 50 agents to keep on track. It's hard to keep new agents because the requirements of so many new accounts in a certain period of time is hard to do. There are no training classes, mentors, nor reference books like when Bob started with the company.

Break time is over and I need to vacuum fur hunks. The boys had a little discussion this morning and I can see the evidence. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 06-27-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #9  

Good morning everyone. Gonna be a pretty day here today, no rain and it is cooler. We have nothing on the agenda outside though.

Jack cooked the steaks on the grill and said he was going to have to get used to it as he overcooked them. I eat my steak really rare and Jack eats his medium rare. I got a steak that was a little over medium and his was almost well done. He did enjoy cooking on it though. I ate about 3 bites and some corn and veg and that was it.

I sat around yesterday afternoon and caught up on the new Rizzoli and Isles episodes and Major Crimes episodes on my Ipad. They sure do have a lot of commercials though, about every 10 minutes you get 3 1/2 minutes of commercials and they are the same ones over and over and over. Jack put the game on at 6 but we gave up on it when it got to be 6-1. The starting pitcher hurt himself last time out so they brought one up from triple A and he and the bullpen were getting their butts kicked.

Jean: Jack wouldn't have eaten any of it but the pasta so at least Bob will eat the salad. Jack hates mayo or miracle whip, won't eat celery for the most part or the other veg except for the onions, won't eat tuna. It can be a trial cooking for him sometimes, but it is his mother's fault. She only cooked what my fil would eat and even then never ever made the kids try anything new, not even one bite. Hope you can get the furnace situation all straightened out. I have to get upstairs and vacuum and dust today and put away clothes I washed yesterday and put in the new bath mat and such. I would make a bet Jack hasn't put away the suitcases from our trip either so I will have to do it. He is the big procrastinator until I finally get angry then he is all about why are you so mad. He is always telling me I expect things done yesterday, but it has been almost two weeks for heaven's sake and he sees them every time he goes upstairs. I too get catalogues all the time, most of which I have never even heard of. I get this one for plus size and the thing is geared for black women totally. I don't do leopard print and spangles and tight and such and all the models in the thing are black. I get clothing, shoes, housewares, you name it and Fingerhut. I get those darn things all the time and they are huge to boot. I don't know how I got on their list but sheesh. We also get credit card pre approvals all the time. At the moment, capitol one and chase are driving us nuts trying to get us to open credit cards with them. In the trash they go unopened.

Everyone have a great Sunday. Next weekend is a three day weekend for Jack so he wants to wait until Friday to do the glass. {{{sigh}}}
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #10  

Good Morning! We (I!) got up early so we could leave earlier for the lake. It's a beautiful day, sunny and no wind which is a bonus up here. Jason and family are here too.

"Gma," I imagine Jack will have the grilling down to a fine science next time. When I order beef, if asked how I want it done, I always say medium well. I don't want it to moo. We get the credit card stuff too. The ones I really don't like have the two checks to transfer balances. Bob's office has a sealed security file that a security company picks up and destroys the contents. He will take some of papers with account numbers there rather than shred them at home. I do save credit card statements if I have purchased big ticket items, just to have a record.

I am going outside to sit and watch the boats. Hope you all are enjoying a nice sunny day wherever you are!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. Going to be back to hot days and no rain until tomorrow then they are predicting rain the rest of the week. Don't know what is going to happen with the fireworks this weekend. I am not sure whether they are going to do them Friday or Saturday though since Friday pretty much all the government people have off and the banks will probably be closed.

I was going to do some cleaning upstairs today, but I didn't sleep last night as the knot in my shoulder is bothering me. I am going to keep the heating on it and see if that helps. I probably didn't fall asleep until around 2 then had to get up and go to the bathroom at 4 and it was hurting so I turned the heating pad back on and went to sleep about 4:45 and Jack got up at 5 and he turns all the lights on when he comes downstairs so I am up, but going to try and nap a bit this morning.

I put on a crockpot of chicken, then will shred it and make chicken and noodles for dinner tonight. We haven't had them in a long time. I'll probably have the rest of my red cabbage for dinner with it.

If you saw my FB page you saw one of the scouts died in the weekend where Thomas is camping. He was swept away in a flash flood in the early morning hours. I do not understand why they had people camping in a canyon in NM. I know that when I lived with my in laws out in the dessert and it would rarely rain, but when it did it would be big problems. The dirt road out there had arroyas you had to drive through and if it rained, they became like raging river rapids. You were stuck until it went through. Weather there can be unpredictable and fast and it was stupid to camp in a canyon, IMO. I just pray for the family who lost their son. Thomas and his troop are fine as one of the dads go ahold of the camp officials and his troop is all accounted for,

Jean: About once a year they have some company around here offer free shredding of documents. I haven't cleared out stuff in awhile and need to go through it and get it destroyed. Hope you had a nice day at the lake.

Everyone have a good week this week.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! Our air is hazy and wherever the sun is shining on something it looks pink. I stopped for a loaf of bread and the checker commented on the same. She said someone checking out said they heard on the news it is smoke coming in from the forest fires. It is weird! We are on our way to Ian's ball game.

"Gma," I hope your shoulder is feeling better and you got a nap in today. That is so sad about the scout losing his life. A few years ago we had a tornado rip through a scout camp. I think only one was killed but several injured. When they rebuilt they made a structure to withstand heavy winds. The alarm went off at 2am, while Ian was at camp, and they had to get dressed and wait it out in their tent. They were ready to evacuate but I didn't think to ask him where they would go. They finally went back to bed a couple hours later. Scary for leaders, kids, and parents! Yesterday was the best day we've had at the lake so far, and we didn't even take the boat out. Jason and Ian took the little fishing boat out to see how it would run and it was ok. Ian said he liked the big boat better!

I am losing my signal so will quit. Enjoy the rest of your marvelous Monday!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. Gonna be hot today and probably clear until tomorrow. We had a bad thunderstorm move in last night and popped off a bunch of electrical stuff and I noticed this morning our smart meter won't connect for me to look at the cost and usage so I imagine they are going to have to reset it downtown or wherever. I don't know how that goes as we haven't had any trouble with it and have had it about 8 months now. I have to say it seems to be more cost effective than the estimating way.

I have lost another 6 lbs! On the down side, the hyperplasia is really acting up so I guess it is back to the gyno and more tests, ugh!

I am going to make a valiant effort to get upstairs and get vacuuming and dusting done today and straighten up whatever needs straightening and such. I still have the "rock" in my shoulder, but I imagine it will ease off in a couple days. It usually does when it gets that way if I keep heat on it and such.

I have to get my cleaning done and get those pj pants hemmed. I have dilly dallied around not getting them done, but I think he will be home next week.
Here he is with his dad out in the NM desert and notice the shoes. He is now 5'11" tall. He has such skinny little legs. I am looking forward to getting together with his for dinner or whatever and catching up.

Jean: Thanks for the macaroni and tuna recipe. I got it, but completely forgot to thank you for it. Looks pretty much like the same one I have made before except I put sliced green olives in mine and I like egg and a touch of sugar in mine. I guess I could make enough for one by using one of those little cans of tuna and I would use miracle whip light to cut down on calories. Jack is the store goer for us tonight. He said he needs bread and more lunchmeat. He eats cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch everyday when he is trying to lose weight. I do not know how he keeps from getting bored out of his skull. I am not a cereal eater for one thing and not much of a lunchmeat sandwich eater either. I would rather have tuna or chicken salad or even egg salad for a sandwich.

Everyone have a good Tuesday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomandthomas.jpg (27.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It's cloudy and cool in my corner of the world. I am so tired! We didn't get home until almost midnight last night. Ian hit a home run and then made it home on another hit. We were low on gas so stopped on our way home, about an hour from home. We drove past a McDs and I suggested sharing a mocha frappe. Ended up each getting one and never again will I drink one any time after lunch! I couldn't get to sleep and then spent the night tossing 'n turning, looking at the clock. Bob caught Orphan Andy this morning and he is at the vet's being tested, shots, and neutering. A friend stopped by here yesterday and liked him, and as I said I needed to find him a home she offered to take him; she already has two cats and two dogs.

"Gma," on another great loss! Somehow Ian often stands next to the shortest kid on his team. Talk about seeing "Mutt and Jeff!" I think he has to be going through a growth spurt because he eats nonstop. How tall is Tom? If Thomas keeps growing, Tom will soon be looking up at him. I haven't made egg salad for a long time. Sounds good!

Bob's been spit shining his tractor for the 4th and should be home soon. The retirement community is going to use it to pull a trolley in the parade and again for shuttling people during the bike ride sleepover. I need to dream up something for supper tonight. I have a gift certificate for a restaurant that is only open at night. We hardly ever go there and Bob heard they were struggling, so we'd better use my gift certificate.

Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday evening!

Last edited by Jean; 06-30-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday & a Very Nice Hot Day

GOOD MORNING IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

Good early evening Magnolias. We had a busy day today and both got our hair cuts done and some shopping for “needful” things done.

DONNA FAYE Congratulations on that weight loss. You go girlfriend!

JEAN I guess my watch gets enough light during the day to keep it going during the night. It just has to be exposed to light ½ day per month and that should be easy enough by just wearing it. The entire face of the watch is a solar panel. It has a little opening over the number 3 that tells the date so instead of seeing the 3 you see what the date is.