General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Cashier didn't mind her own business.

Grrr, just a bit of a vent. I decided to pick up some Slimfast because I've used it before to jumpstart a diet that actually worked and I ended up losing 50+, and managed to keep it off for years. Well I've got a husband and kids now and I just turned 40, and I even go to Weight Watchers and the gym regularly, but I can't get my eating stuff together and I keep gaining. So I hatched a plan to start Slimfast when I get back from vacation next week, to get me going in the right direction again.

You can probably guess where this is headed. The cashier says "You know you will gain back all the weight when you stop drinking these, right?" I didn't have time for an argument so I just said uh huh, paid, and left. I mean, she knows nothing about me or my history or even why I'd purchase Slimfast.

Last time I checked, nutritionists weren't running the checkout at Walmart on Wednesday mornings. Which is exactly the sort of thing I wish I'd said at the time!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/149.2/130

Height: 5'0

I'm sorry that the cashiers comment bothered you. It is not surprising that unasked for advice was not well received. I'm hoping she was trying to be helpful, regardless I am sorry that she interfered. Hugs coming your way regardless.
valid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Oh goodness. She certainly doesn't get paid enough to be doling out advice to customers on top of ringing you up.

*hugs* Good luck with your plan!!

Last edited by nonameslob; 06-24-2015 at 03:52 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #4  

I'm sorry this happened to you. Good luck!
WWMaintainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

"Last time I checked, nutritionists weren't running the checkout at Walmart on Wednesday mornings. Which is exactly the sort of thing I wish I'd said at the time!"

LOLOL.

Once in college I was grabbing some Red Vines from the vending machine before class and a total stranger informs me that "fat-free doesn't mean it's healthy." Because I apparently look stupid or something. I just stared at her open-mouthed in shock but to this day regret not saying "I'm sorry, I'm don't remember hiring you as my personal dietitian."
Violette_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Eeek, I hate it when strangers give me their unsolicited advice. It sucks. Once at a sushi restaurant my friend ordered 3 rolls and the waiter laughed and said "wow that's a lot of food!" I told him it's none of his business what we order and spoke to the manager. How insane is that? I mean why do they have a 3 roll special on the menu if they're going to make fun of anyone ordering it?

And just last week I went shopping and I bought clothes. Ok some of the clothes were black and the cashier said "whoa that's a lot of black, why do you want to wear so much black? It's summertime!" I was really annoyed but I told her I like black. What else was I supposed to say?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

UGH! I HATE when people put their noses where they DO NOT belong!!! Don't be looking in my shopping cart, don't be listening to my conversations, don't be staring at me anytime I make a move. Cause it's none your bleeping business!
Sorry she had to give her 2 unwanted cents. Let me guess, she also really had no room to talk? She probably would have gotten a "Shut the &%$# up" from me.
I liked your idea for a response. I have another: Grab 2 pennies out of your purse, hand them to her saying, "For the next person you think really needs your unwanted opinion." That'd shut her up!

BTW don't give up! Just keep moving forward towards your goal each day. You can do it!!
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #8  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Very rude and inappropriate of her to say that! Don't let it get you down.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #9  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

Unsolicited advice is almost never helpful. Even if it had been a doctor or nutritionist strolling down the aisle and they had walked up and said that to you, it still would have been inappropriate (and they didn't have any info about you at all).

People get nosy about food and weight. It sucks, but it happens.

I'd do what works for you and ignore the advice from others if it's not beneficial to you.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

Too bad stupid people arn't wearing a sign and you would have avoided that line.

I always find the perfect line for idiots like that after the fact and imagine saying things. Like for her something perfect would have been "I understand your profession as a Nutritionist didn't go well and you got stuck working at Walmart but when you want to share your opinion on nutrition with someone you really should ask. Have a nice day". Bam! hehe
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Honestly, I would have spoken to the manager.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, that was way out of line. I'm not one to think of snappy comebacks so likely I would have just done what you did, and then thought about for the rest of the day what I WISHED I had said!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

For those of us who can't think of snappy comebacks we should come up with something that would fit all occasions. How about "I can't think of a snappy comeback to that so I'll just stand here until I do".
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

I remember when I was very young my mom tried losing weight with slimfast. We didn't have much money and this was sort of my mom's very special investment every now and then, and she would also try to get them on sale whenever possible. This makes me think that perhaps, being that the commenter was a cashier and likely not earning much, the comment may have been innocent and with the intent of helping.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 276/257/200

Height: 5'6

Wow. How rude. I'm a cashier, but I would never dream of saying that to someone =/ though I think I have accidentally been offensive before. I'm an awkward turtle when it comes to socializing, and I don't always say the right things

I haven't tried slimfast, but I have tried the hydroxycut drink powder. It has helped me lose what I've lost so far, so I bought more with hopes of losing more.
JigglyFluff is offline   Reply With Quote