Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 06-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #1  
Reluctant Runner

S/C/G: 255/229/150

Height: 5'7"

Talking My first 5k! And somehow my best pace ever!

So, I started "running" in April and signed myself for a 5k on June 21. I figured that would help motivate me and keep me on track. I say "running" because when I started I was doing C25k and barely making it through the 1 minute running intervals. I knew at best I'd be half walking and half running the 5k, but I stuck with the program.

After some pointers from my dad and a little bit of improvement, I'd progressed a bit and was running more than walking, with my avg pace for my usual 2 miles being 16-18 min miles. Not fantastic, but not terrible either considering I was hardly able to run two months prior.

Anyway, yesterday I started my first 5k with a goal of finishing in under an hour (I've never tried to actually run a full three miles and figured that would slow me down a little). Somehow I ran almost the entire first mile without stopping which I have never done before and I had to revise my goal mid-race. I decided I'd aim for under 50 minutes, which my mid-run fuzzy mental calculations put at under a 17 minute mile which I knew would be a stretch for me.

Made it the rest of the way, more running than walking (WHAT?) then sprinted across the finish line trying to milk every last bit of my energy to maybe get in in under 50. By the way, their clock was broken so I couldn't see how I did as I crossed the finish line!

Imagine my surprise when I looked it up later and saw my time... Under 48 min, 15:24 pace. FIFTEEN!?! WHAT?! I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT NUMBER.

Anyway, I'm super excited and signed up for two more 5ks and a 10k this year. Woo!

Last edited by VegTraveler; 06-22-2015 at 01:56 PM.
VegTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #2  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

Woohoo!! That must feel amazing! Congrats!!
HIheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #3  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Congrats Vegtraveler! That's awesome that you ran your best pace ever
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations and well done! You must feel amazing!!! Wow, you already signed up for three more races!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I'm so jealous and so happy for you!!!! I'm super slow when it comes to running. I actually don't know of I've ever technically Rabin my life or it was all just a jog. Keep it up, you are awesome!!!
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #6  
Reluctant Runner

S/C/G: 255/229/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilaughs View Post
I'm so jealous and so happy for you!!!! I'm super slow when it comes to running. I actually don't know of I've ever technically Rabin my life or it was all just a jog. Keep it up, you are awesome!!!
Oh I did most of the run at what I call my "granny shuffle" pace. Eventually I hope to work my way up to actual running... lol

Last edited by VegTraveler; 06-22-2015 at 03:57 PM.
VegTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote