Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #1  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

S/C/G: 187.4/164/140

Height: 5' 3"

Default My experience with Jenny Craig (so far)

Okay so it's only been 4 weeks with Jenny. (Started my 5th week yesterday)

I'm menopausal and gaining weight and feel awful and my clothes don't fit anymore. I'm a pretty busy person monday to friday and I never seem to get my act together to have good food choices handy and end up eating horribly - too much of all the wrong foods.

So I decided to try Jenny Craig... I joined at 187.4 on May 11 and I'm 179.2 as of yesterday.

The Food - overall, pretty darn tasty. A few abominations, but wow the breakfast lunches and dinner and treats are really, really tasty.

Having the day already planned for me makes it so easy, I grab a breakfast, I grab a lunch and I'm off to work. Come home and dinner is right there too. i have completely STOPPED buying fast foods and meals - and although Jenny is expensive - compared to what I was spending on take out crap, it's saving me some money.

My consultant - pretty clueless really. She just wants to sell me stuff really. sell me bars and extra items and get me to sign up for a year (I am going monthly)

But she is friendly and nice and weighs me in - and one week when I didn't lose an ounce, she commiserated and then called me during the week to make sure I was okay and not upset about not losing.

The Cost So I am paying monthly to try it out. 39.00 a month (I'm in Canada) plus food.

it's about 22.00 a day for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and a Treat or 160.00 a week.

Breakfast ranges from an eye watering 3.00 for Cheerios CEREAL to about 7.00 for really tasty things like Breakfast Burritos.

Lunch - really yummy pizzas, chowmeins, turkey burgers - really good quality and tasty all about 6.50 each

Dinner - Hit's and misses... the frozen entres are much better than the 'stable shelf life" foods. Chicken and pasta dishes - very tasty. Dinners are about 6 - 7$ each.

Snacks/Treats. Really expensive popcorn 3.00 for a tiny portion. But some major wins - Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing, triple chocolate cheesecake - soooooo tasty and satisfying.

Protein BARS They try to sell you these things. They are horrible. Like sweet cardboard with a sandy texture. I gagged on them Week 1... was hopeful and chose another kind for Week 2 - also horrible.

layed down the law with my consultant and told her if she wanted me to stay another month I was not buying anymore bars. She was actually great about that and helped me come up with alternatives, like other brands of bars or hummus and carrots, or cottage cheese and crackers etc...

Also, I told her I was not buying her cheerios any more at 3.00 a serving... and bought a box of my own for home. but I still buy a couple of frozen entre's because they are sooo good.

POSITIVES

Consultant- accountability of weighing in with a real person, sharing a success like 2 pounds down! or getting some sympathy when the scale does not budge.

- Darn tasty stuff, ready and waiting - not being tempted by other foods because yours is ready for you,

- Routine, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, treat - not feeling hungry, feeling satisfied. Big variety of things to choose from.

- Cost, cheaper than what I was doing before - eating out all the time and no waste. (I tend to buy too much and then throw it out when I don't eat it and it goes bad)

MIX and MATCH - you don't have to follow the set plan, you can pick whatever breakfast lunch or dinner you feel like, at that very moment.

Exercise - I walk to my local Jenny - 3kilometers.. then walk back with food.

NEGATIVES
- as good as the food is, there are some real fails - but once you try them once you know and can narrow down to your favourites.

Cost - expensive, especially if you have a family and have to buy other groceries for them too

Cost - 39.00 a month - basically 10.00 a week to see your consultant for 10 minutes and weigh in.

Cost - you still need to buy veggies, fruit and milk

Room - My freezer is jammed packed at the start of the week.

Consultant - at the end of the day, really just wants to sell you stuff.
CheesecakeBrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #2  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

Update on Jenny.... last night weighed in at 175.2... so about 12 pounds lost since I started on May 11th.

I was thinking that this is sort or a lazy diet I'm on... having everything prepared for me and ready to eat, but this is the sort of personality I have. I find it hard to go to the grocery store and make good choices and stick with them without being hungry or tempted.

Still really enjoying the JC food.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #3  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

update on Jenny... still really enjoying the entres... especially the lunches, I don't think I've every had such enjoyable lunches in my life. really tasty and satisfying.

Was talking to my consultant and she mentioned how I was learning portion control and learning how much I should be eating (veg/meat/starch) so I was just agreeing with that... but then later I realized.. these portions are for losing weight, they are not normal portions for people living a healthy lifestyle. When I start maintaining.. I surely will be able to eat more food quantity and I don't think she is correct in telling me this is the correct amount of food for everyone.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:56 PM   #4  

May I also suggest you create your ideal weight goal to shoot for. Write down what your ideal weight should be, and look at it everyday to get it firmly into your subconscious.
stellawaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #5  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

update on Jenny... 15 pounds lost now since May 11. I'm pretty happy!

Still enjoying the food, I tend to buy the same thing over and over because I have favourites... but I suddenly got bored and bought a whole bunch of other entres.

I tried pancakes this morning for the first time.. the pancake part was fine, but the little weird veggie sausage disc was inedible. lol

Still happy with Jenny and how it makes my life so much easier. For me dieting is hard and having everything layed out for me daily is a huge advantage.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #6  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

169 today... tat's 18.4 pounds off !

still encouraged and feeling strong, this result despite a holiday to cuba where I went off plan, and an event at my office where I was lead into temptation with cup cakes

Still enjoying the food and ease of everything being right at my fingertips.

A new dessert came out last week.. Lava Cake, that you heat up and a liquid chocolate centre oozes out. Nice for a change, but my heart still belongs to their chocolate cheesecake and key lime pie.

The reason I am talking about desserts is I believe it is one of the keys to success - to have a sweet treat everyday and not feel deprived. I will feel a little restless but once I've had my treat I have a sense of satisfaction and calm.

Last edited by CheesecakeBrownie; 07-28-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #7  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

Okay... exactly 3 months on Jenny Craig and down 19.8 pounds...

I am starting to do some meals on my own now so my weekly bill has dropped from 160.00 to 107.00.

Still loving their food, really really loving it. I hear some new options are coming in late august with some fall themed foods (pumpkin spice cake) etc...

really pleased with how dead simple this program is. hoping to ease myself off onto my own food and continued success.

Last edited by CheesecakeBrownie; 08-07-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks for the updates! And congrats on the losses!
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #9  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

Weighed in yesterday at 165.6... that's over 21 pounds down! yay!

I know that I could not have done that on my own, trust me, I have tried and tried and tried and failed every time. This Jenny Craig program has really turned things around for me. I can't fault it really, other than the expense and the counselors really interested in selling things.

I am halfway to goal so I've been doing some meals on my own and I am really in control portion wise and choice wise. I also feel full and satisfied and don't crave binges on bad foods anymore.

I am feeling better over all because I am looking better and my clothes are feeling better. I have added some things to my diet - such as a quarter cup of roasted cashews as a snack every evening before dinner (like an appetizer)

I've been doing this for 2 weeks now and I'm still losing.

There is new food coming next week!! pumpkin spice loaf breakfast, new waffle, a pot roast, a new turkey dish, a philli steak sandwich for lunch, a new lasagna, a new italian sausage bake... so I am looking forward to trying some new foods!

Last edited by CheesecakeBrownie; 08-14-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 203/196/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesecakeBrownie View Post
Weighed in yesterday at 165.6... that's over 21 pounds down! yay!

I know that I could not have done that on my own, trust me, I have tried and tried and tried and failed every time. This Jenny Craig program has really turned things around for me. I can't fault it really, other than the expense and the counselors really interested in selling things.

I am halfway to goal so I've been doing some meals on my own and I am really in control portion wise and choice wise. I also feel full and satisfied and don't crave binges on bad foods anymore.

I am feeling better over all because I am looking better and my clothes are feeling better. I have added some things to my diet - such as a quarter cup of roasted cashews as a snack every evening before dinner (like an appetizer)

I've been doing this for 2 weeks now and I'm still losing.

There is new food coming next week!! pumpkin spice loaf breakfast, new waffle, a pot roast, a new turkey dish, a philli steak sandwich for lunch, a new lasagna, a new italian sausage bake... so I am looking forward to trying some new foods!
Thanks for your posts. I am on my 3rd week of JC. I had a two week break after the first two weeks and I am down 6 pounds.
doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/205/150

CheesecakeBrownie: Thank you so much for posting this, it was a very timely post since I'm seriously considering doing this asap for an upcoming wedding plus I, like you, have tried everything else & nothing has worked. After reading your post, I believe that I will take the plunge. Please keep us updated.
journey00 is offline   Reply With Quote