Old 06-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #1  
Changed 1

S/C/G: 268/250/150

Height: 5' 10"

Default Why Can't I Eat As Many Carbs As I Did 6 Months Ago?

I started Old Atkins on November 1st and lost 30 lbs in 60 days eating under 50 carbs a day. On January 5th I hit a major stall. I started cycling 3 or 4 lbs. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with Hashimoto's Disease and prescribed medication. As of May 25th my Hashimoto's is under control and I am losing weight again, however, I must eat under 22 carbs a day or I stop losing. I did not stop eating Atkins while my Hashimoto's was not under control and even did Fat Fasts several times even though I just cycled those same 3 or 4 lbs. I am using the Ketostix and they work with me. I spent the first 60 days in high ketosis and stayed in Ketosis while trying to regulate the disease. Now 22 carbs takes me out of ketosis completely. June 8 I started counting calories to boost the weight loss. Why have the amount of carbs I can eat lowered and what can I do to fix this?
Changed 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #2  

Throw out the Ketostix. Dr. Atkins told his followers to stop using them in a later book because they are not that accurate. I suggest you get a newer book and follow the carb ladder to add more carbs. The New Atkins Made Simple is the latest book.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #3  
Changed 1

With or without the ketostix I stop losing after 22 carbs a day. If I follow the ladder and add more carbs I stop losing weight once I hit 22 carbs a day. I was able to lose on the 50 carbs a day in November and December. How can I go back to eating 50 carbs a day? Why did the amount of carbs I can eat in one day become less?
Old 06-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Metabolism can change for many reasons. In your case, you may be eating different carbs than you were eating before, but my best bet is that the medication has changed your body chemistry. You could try increasing your fat or drinking more water.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #5  
Changed 1

Thanks Carol Sue. That makes a lot of sense. I'll try doing both of those.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #6  
Changed 1

Update:
Since my last post I have been back to the doctor and he ran some tests. Apparently, I had messed my metabolism up. I was not eating enough calories so my body was storing every little calorie I gave it. I increased my calories just a little more and have lost 11 more pounds. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #7  
It is what it is...

This is unrelated to the carb thing, but i was diagnosed with Hashimotos last year and my dr didn't put me on any meds ...and I don't think she is doing right by me for not putting me on some...not that I need another med to take

Were your thyroid numbers okay ? Because mine were, even with the Hashimotos, so maybe that's why she didn't ...although I've heard others say you should medicate anyway
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #8  
Changed 1

My numbers were technically within normal limits at 3.91 but I had a slew of symptoms and my TH3 was off. It took months of watching and slowly increasing my hormones then suddenly I woke up and things were different.