Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/163/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Loose skin: did yours "bounce back?"

So I'm down 40 lbs since February, which makes me really happy. I now occasionally get a double-take when walking down the street (my ego really missed that). I feel lighter, more energetic, and I can fit into a size 8. An 8!! Which is weird, because I couldn't fit into an eight when I weighed 23 lbs less than I do now. Which brings me to my next observation:

This body that emerged from under 40 lbs of fat is not the one I remember from 10 years ago. While I appreciate getting a thigh gap back, I can't say I ever remember my butt being so...flat. And flabby. My upper arm skin jiggles. My belly, wrinkly as it is, is not too bad considering I'm 40 and have had two kids. I didn't have high expectations for that area of my body, so I'm pretty happy that I can at least see to shave my bikini line without having to shove rolls of flesh out of the way (sorry for the graphic visual). The biggest disappointment is my boobs. I went from a 38H (that's 'H' as in, Help, I've fallen and can't get up) to a 38 or 36D...maybe DD. So what's left? A pair of tennis balls in floppy, wrinkly leather tube socks, that's what. The only reason I'm a D/DD instead of a B or C cup is because of extra skin. I need to tuck all the excess skin into my bra and try to smooth it out as best I can to avoid looking like I've folded them in half, or rolled them up like a flesh burrito. They just sit there in my bra cups in wrinkly puddles, like liquid leather, taking the shape of whatever they've been poured into.

I was approved for breast reduction surgery (because they're still too big), so hopefully they'll call me back with a date soon. So that's going to happen. I am still undecided about getting a tummy tuck to get things smoothed back out. My question is for those of you who have lost enough weight to experience loose skin.

How much did your skin "bounce back" over the next few months after losing the weight? In other words, how long would you wait before deciding whether or not you want to go forward with corrective surgery?

Last edited by areilla10; 06-06-2015 at 01:39 PM.
areilla10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

I think this is the million dollar question for everyone. I have been asking just about everyone I talk to who has lost weight and even professionals and I get just about the same answer every time. It depends.

These factors I was told are to be considered....they may or may NOT be true:
1. How fast you lose weight.
2. How old you are.
3. How long you were over weight. It seems the longer the skin was stretched plays a factor too.
4. It also depends on you as a person and how you react to weight loss.

I personally know that I am not going to end up with the body I had when I was young and don't mind. I just want to be healthy. Unless I can afford 15-20,000 dollars in skin reduction surgery, which I can't. I am going to end up with excess skin. You may, or may not. Just have to wait and see I hope yours bounces back. Good luck
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenDestiny View Post
I think this is the million dollar question for everyone. I have been asking just about everyone I talk to who has lost weight and even professionals and I get just about the same answer every time. It depends.

These factors I was told are to be considered....they may or may NOT be true:
1. How fast you lose weight.
2. How old you are.
3. How long you were over weight. It seems the longer the skin was stretched plays a factor too.
4. It also depends on you as a person and how you react to weight loss.

I personally know that I am not going to end up with the body I had when I was young and don't mind. I just want to be healthy. Unless I can afford 15-20,000 dollars in skin reduction surgery, which I can't. I am going to end up with excess skin. You may, or may not. Just have to wait and see I hope yours bounces back. Good luck
We've lost our weight fairly quickly, and we've been wearing it for the past decade, so I expect that's probably what we're seeing. We have lost relatively little weight, however, compared to some of the folks on here. And of course, I AM a little older now... I doubt that I'll need surgery, except possibly around my stomach. I won't need extensive body lift surgery or anything. I had lost a bit of weight before - back around 2003 - but it was done slowly, we were working out like crazy, and...I was 10 years younger. With Ideal Protein, we're not encouraged to work out, so I have to put up with the flabby muscles and loose skin until we're done Phase 1. I guess I was just wondering what everyone else's experience was like after the dust settled, whether their skin tightened up at all.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #4  
Aussie chick!

S/C/G: 135/79/65 (kg)

Height: 162cm

Definitely not in my case anyway! I had a tummy tuck after losing the first 50kg, still have 15kg to go until I'll be happy, but nothing at all has 'bounced back'!!
Ambience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience View Post
Definitely not in my case anyway! I had a tummy tuck after losing the first 50kg, still have 15kg to go until I'll be happy, but nothing at all has 'bounced back'!!
Well you HAVE lost over 110 lbs! That's amazing! I've only got to lose about 55 lbs total (about 25kg). I think it's just the speed at which we lost it. When you've lost over 100 lbs, I would imagine it would be hard for the skin to re-adapt that much.

Something else I'm wondering: how much does all this extra skin weigh?? I'm 165 right now and can wear a size 10. A decade ago, I weighed 150-155 and was maybe a size 11-12. What is up with that?? Did dress sizes change over the last decade? Does it have something to do with the fact that I have the muscle tone of a jellyfish right now?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Not going to lie... I'm 26 (ok, almost 27) years old and I still struggle a lot with the loose skin. My breasts are much smaller and saggier, I have loose skin along my back/waist and my tummy pouch is pretty noticeable. I only mention my age because I got a lot of "you're young! Everything will just bounce back no problem!!"

But I'm also down over 100lbs, so I don't think there is any way my skin could have bounced back on its own. My friend's surgeon recommended the Palmer's Coco Butter lotion to help. Its worth a shot-- and it smells like brownie batter, so its totally not a bad idea
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #7  

I haven't tried any topical products yet. I'll have to go looking for this cocoa butter you mentioned. Although smelling brownie batter all day may have some detrimental effects on my willpower, LOL. Ideal Protein may work really well, but holy cow, it is so restrictive! No sugar,no alcohol, no dairy, no wheat, no grains, no saturated fats...I haven't even been allowed to have carrots since February because they're too sweet. I feel myself getting bored/fed up with restricted eating and it's getting harder to talk myself out of tapping out. Almost 5 months. That's a lot of Friday nights without my hello-weekend fishbowl of red wine. Brownie batter lotion might do me in.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 335 / 170 / 165

Height: 5'7''

I'm 5.5 years out from gastric bypass surgery. I was 250+ lbs from the time I was 14 until I was 20; from 20 until I had RNY at 25 I was over 300 pounds. I had my first child at 20, second at 22, and breastfed both for a combined total of 26 months. Also, my second was born via c-section because he was transverse (sideways).

Now, with all of the relevant information out of the way: I lost and have kept off 178 pounds, but I'd estimate that I have a good 15 pounds worth of loose skin hanging on me. My stomach is a mess, I have loose skin on my upper thighs, I have bingo flaps (loose skin on upper arms), and yes, my boobs look like I poured them into my bra.

However, I will say that my body doesn't look as bad as it did when I was only 2-3 years post-op. The skin did snap back a bit...not much, but a noticeable amount.
kissmykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Mine bounced back.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

I am definitely concerned about this. I'm on an Optifast / VLCD diet so rapid weight loss- which sounds like it can lead to excess skin. I probably am only looking for about 60lbs lost (hovering around 210, want to get to 150/160) and have only been overweight since I was about 22 - I am 29 now. I am hoping that my circumstances help me. I have watched way too many episodes of My 500lb Life with this issue...but I am sure that show is a whole 'nother discussion elsewhere!!
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote