Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Question So Hungry Lately

I dont know why I've been so hungry lately. I was at an appt. yesterday morning and it seemed that my stomach was gonna start making noises even though I had already ate breakfast 5 hours earlier and then last night while I was laying in bed trying to sleep again it seemed that my stomach was going to start making noises even though I had already at dinner earlier that night. Maybe I'm not eating a enough, I track my food and my calories for yesterday was 1,073 out of 1200.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Your body is catching on that this is not just a temporary low day. It now is beginning to take you seriously, so it's complaining for more food. And, for your weight, you could probably eat a lot more and still lose. You would just lose more slowly, but if it means sticking with it versus quitting because of being hungry, upping calories is better than giving into a binge.

And check for filling snacks - eggs, nuts, protein bars, big salads, etc.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I would be hungry on 1000 calories too!

Though also appetite varies for me. I am ravenous right before that time of the month, and not as hungry afterward.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

Hey Terra, I think most of us can relate, especially w/a 5 hour delay, I get "hangry" after that long between meals usually. Everyone's body is different but I am becoming a huge fan of watching what I eat over how much I eat because it seems to work as well if not better than simply calorie counting. Like switching from regular store brand wheat bread to Ezekiel bread in the frozen food section (pick any of them, I like the Flax & Cinnamon Raisin flavors in particular), going organic when possible, choosing fruits & veggies over processed food of the same calories (like if a processed smoothie has 300 calories, choosing to eat fresh fruit of the same calorie content instead is far more satisfying to the stomach, and seems to make me lose faster). I've been loving using peeled carrot sticks as a plate filler, they are really good and nutritious and you can have a lot for a small calorie count (like 3 oz. is about 35 calories I believe).

I'm not an expert about low-calorie diets, but I will say I have done them, and it was super hard on my body, and unsustainable for me. Also when we have a considerable amount to lose after awhile where do you go when your calories are already super low, and how will it be sustainable. One thing though, supposedly when we eat too little, our bodies lose muscle too, which in turn causes our metabolism to slow down, so it can be counterproductive to weight loss.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #5  
Turning Into A New Woman

Thanks everyone for replying back to my thread. I will keep what everyone said in mind.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 367/301/???

Height: 5'8

I think I always feel hungry too, and I know that I am eating enough. I kind of just think it is my body fighting for the old ways. I used to always eat, even if I wasn't really hungry. I ate because that was what I did... it literally was all I did, all day long. Someone else mentioned filling snacks, and things like almonds or pumpkin seeds get me through those in between times. Good luck, you're doing great!
Noggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

I have a different take on hunger. When you are dieting and trying to lose weight and get hungry it means you are not eating enough. I have had to adjust my diet to include more protein (milk, eggs, yogurt, lean meat, etc.) and add more carbs (low glycemic like whole grains; brown rice, lentils, beans, etc.) plus adding more snacks like nuts, seeds, popcorn, etc.

If you are eating healthy you should feel full and not feel like you are hungry or starving.

A good test for me is first to try drinking a glass of water. If I am still hungry I know its time for a snack.

It can also be a piece of fruit, a salad, or glass of milk.

I have been eating 3 meals a day with snacks in between meals as needed.

What I have found is that once I eat enough I tend to drop off several pounds after increasing my food intake. Every time I tried to eat less I would go for days and weeks with no weight loss. Once I learned to eat healthy and feel full the weight started dropping off much easier.

By the way, I average 1.8 lbs per week weight loss. That's a little over 1 3/4 lbs a week.

Edited to add I am 62 yrs old and moderately active.

Last edited by applevalleygirl; 06-08-2015 at 03:32 PM.
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #8  
Turning Into A New Woman

Noggs & Applevalleygirl ~ Thanks for replying to my thread, I will keep in mind everything you two of said, Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 355.6/see ticker/199.9

Height: 5'5"

I don't think you are eating enough. I eat 1.3k cals per day at 205 lbs. and I am 5'5". I am losing weight at this amount. Is this something your doctor suggested and is monitoring?

Last edited by StephanieAZ; 06-12-2015 at 06:57 PM.
StephanieAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Eat more lean protein and good fats and the job will be done.

Fish, eggs, nuts, avocado, olives, a little cheese.

Last edited by IanG; 06-12-2015 at 09:14 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

Yes and yes! Those listed by IanG are excellent for hunger.

Sometimes I just open up a can of mixed nuts. Its a heart healthy snack with good fats your body needs and they are soooo satisfying and filling. But I do measure out my snack in ounces so I don't over eat. Walnuts, peanuts, cashews, pistashios, pecans, all are yummy and good for you!

I also hard boil a half dozen eggs at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge. That way I can eat one or two with a glass of milk or water and get some good lean protein and also stave off hunger.

Or get an apple or pear, cut it into bite size pieces and add an ounce of cheese. Cut the cheese into small pieces so you can snack of fruit and cheese. Its also super filling and healthy. I try for low fat cheeses like swiss and mozarella but sometimes I just gotta have some sharp chedder.

I have fish twice a week and lean turkey or chicken breast or a thin cut pork chop 2-3 times a week. On days I don't eat fish or meat I eat half an avocado and/or a couple hard boiled eggs. I also drink low fat or fat free milk twice a day.

Other good protein options are yogurt and lowfat or nonfat cottage cheese. I try to have yogurt everyday if I can. I think I eat about 4-5 servings a week.

Last edited by applevalleygirl; 06-13-2015 at 04:37 PM.
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #12  
Turning Into A New Woman

Stephanie ~ Yes my doctor put me on the 1200 calorie a day diet and She's monitoring it.

Ian & Applevalleygirl ~ Thanks for the suggestions for foods to eat that keep hunger at bay.