Old 05-31-2015, 08:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes/Prediabetes Chat and Support for June

June is here and the beginning of summer. Join in with us to give and get support.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #2  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

Carol Sue, thank your for starting the June thread!

I have tried the JD muffins and do like them and I should just make my own at home. I saw a Pinterest tutorial on how to make them in a muffin pan, baked, and then frozen.

Is the med you take, not the met, one only used when sugar is high? Fantastic that you were able to skip some!

I hate to admit this, but I am going to try a combo of WW and NoS. Weight loss really isn't the goal, just consistency.

For those who have done this, I put my starting weight at 144 and my goal as 130. Last week I had 26 points, but this week, I am allowed 32, why is this?

Trish, please let us know how your new plan works for you, both good and bad- I'd love the feedback!
momwithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #3  

Elizabeth, I take Glimiperide and I am prescribed 1gm twice a day. It forces your body to release more insulin to help lower blood sugar. The idea is that I should be eating a certain amount of carbs at each meal. Since I don't always eat carbs at every meal I test before I eat to see where my blood sugar is. If it's over 150 and I am going to have carbs in my meal I take one. If it's below 150 and I'm not having carbs I don't take any. It can cause a dangerous low if you just take it without knowing your blood sugar to start with or if you take it and then don't eat carbs. Once I woke up in the middle of the night with a BS of 44. NOT GOOD! You are not supposed to play with it the way I do, but I want to get back off of it, so I try to eat in such a way that I don't need it. But I like to have it for when I do need it. In a way, it's a crutch, that allows you to eat carbs when you want them. I would much rather control my blood sugar with diet and exercise, and that's the goal I'm working toward. Because this med increases insulin, it causes weight gain, and I feel that that's the last thing I need and just makes things worse.

Trish probably has more infor about WW points. It's been a few years since I did it. The number of points differs between the old points plan and the new points plus, and there may be even newer plans since I've been there. I thought that no woman gets more than 26 points per week, except for certain circumstances, such as breastfeeding. Then you get weekly points that you can use whenever you want, or you can not use. I just tried 3 sites online to figure mine and got 3 different answers. One site calculated my points the same as WW did. You can also get extra points for exercise. How did you figure yours? I used to have a site saved that calculated points for each of the points plans, but my computer crashed and I lost it.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Thanks for the June thread. I can't believe it is June already. Time sure flies. I switched back to the double fiber bread, but I just might go back to the Sara Lee 45 cal bread. I think I like the double fiber too much.

Elizabeth Strange thing... it has crossed my mine to either combine the NoSDiet with WW or Calorie Counting as well. Especially since I'm not doing low carb, I think I would like to know how I'm doing with the portion control.

My FBS was 95 this morning, but I have to confess that I took half of one of DH Glimiperides yesterday. His FBS is staying below 110 now that he is taking the Invokana again. His tongue is coated now and he can't taste anything. I called and he has an appointment at 11:15 to see the doctor to see if he can get an anti-biotic.

I'm going to have to change my ticker as my weight is up to 221 this morning. So I actually gained 3 lbs in May instead of losing. I do like the NoSDiet and I took advantage of the two S days to eat the foods that I would want on a cheat day and I can say they are no longer in the house to tempt me for the next 5 days. I was supposed to meet friends for coffee this morning but had to cancel because of DH appointment.

Elizabeth I also like the egg mcmuffin. I had a homemade one this morning. I use the whole grain muffin, eggbeaters, and 2% American cheese then alternate turkey sausage, Canadian bacon and regular bacon. I like it because I'm getting a good breakfast and it is only 270 calories. I'll be good for a good 5 maybe 6 hrs. She says no sweetners, but I use Stevia and not loads of that so that is one where I tweak. I think the main thing for me is no sweets on N days.

I read online yesterday that we really need some carbs because Type 2s are insulin resistant. I decided use the insulin resistant way of eating from the book I have on it. From what I read, we can have potatoes if we cook them and eat them cold. Evidently the same is true with pasta so I made a big batch of macaroni salad yesterday. No one in my family ever liked it, so I have a container of it in the fridge. A serving of that on a bed of romaine lettuce was my lunch yesterday. Funny thing is that it didn't make me feel stuffed or lethargic or cause me to crave any foods like we've been made to think it would. My eating frenzy yesterday was to use my S day as a day to get rid of the foods I didn't want in the house to tempt me during this 1st week.

Now I've decided that I'm going to do this for the next month and see what happens. I don't think June could turn out any worse than May did and it just might be better.

Here's to a great month of June and getting things under control.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-01-2015 at 10:16 AM.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #5  
One Meal At A Time

Carol Sue, I totally understand the med crutch. I do that with my blood pressure meds.

Trish, for NoS and sweets, keep in mind, you can have the sweetener of your choice, just not actual sweets. So, sugar in coffee or fruit is fine- save the doughnuts for the weekend.

WW is going to drive me BSC, lol. My Fitbit is synced with the WW app and I think it's adjusting my points automatically.

From what I can tell, fat grams really matter with WW and this is where I am getting in trouble. I totally blew it today and by this evening I didn't care one bit and was baking cookies.

I really, really hate this sometimes.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI friends: am here at the construction zone, aka, the camp. (this is known as a cottage to most of you, but in Northern Ontario, its called a camp, and is often referred to without an article, as in "we were at camp last week")
Right now we are indoor camping, that is we have an outside shell up and indoor framing for rooms, but no running water and electrical is just a couple of extension cords running from the box outside.
It has been quite cold at night, with frost warnings every night, and we have an inflated mattress, and many comforters and fleece sheets. The daytime eventually gets warm, but takes a while.
I have not been eating low carb, but not high carb either. For some reason, most of the time I eat breads and cereals, I just crave more and crave sugar a lot, but have been doing ok this time. I have some cereal with yogurt most mornings, (the special K protein cereal) and some bread at some point during the day, with a sandwich or something. So not a lot, but more than usual. I don't seem to be having the usual problems and cravings with it, so that is fine.
Also a nice side benefit is that I am staying regular, which is often a problem for me with low carb.
Plenty of exercise here too. We have been getting things ready for the next phase, and will have the plumber here tomorrow to rough things in, and the electrician on Friday.
I have no scale, so don't know how I am doing with weight, but feeling ok with things. I didn't bring my glucose monitor, but will be doing that more after this holiday.
If I can stick to this way of eating for a bit, and not cave to cravings etc. I think I will do ok.
SO happy June, and lets hope for some warmer weather.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #7  

Fatmad Glad you could check in with us. Maybe you need the carbs especially with the work you are doing. Sounds like a lot of work, aka exercise, but exciting at the same time. I bet you will find that your bs and weight isn't suffering from it either.

Elizabeth Yes, I read somewhere on the website that if you like jam on your toast, for example, which I don't care for that it is allowed. It isy f like from what I've read that it just the cakes, pies etc type sweets that aren't allow.

My first day didn't go so well, but it was my fault and it also taught me a lesson as to why the doctor refuses to give me glimiperide and now I positively agree with him especially since I'm doing NoSDiet. I was doing great and OP, but I decided to take the other half of the glimiperide that I had taken the day before. About 8ish I got the shakes. My bs was down to 73. It had been really good all day long as I had checked it before lunch. Fbs was 95. It was 86 before lunch and then when I had the low with shakes it was 73. I guess I should have let it go and rode it out, but I ended up eating because I felt so bad. Today my fbs was 84 and weight was up .4 of a lb. Now I know .4 isn't much, but I believe if I hadn't had to eat something that the weight would have either been the same or even less. I am glad to have had the lesson. It was uncomfortable but not drastic. So I will be doing the NoSDiet combined with an 8 to 10 IF eating window. Needless to say, I will NOT be taking any glimiperide any more. I honestly believe that this way of eating combined with the Januvia will work nicely.

I've decided not to use count calories. If I had been able to eat as I did yesterday before the snack I had to grab, my calories would have been around 1400 calories or less. So I figure that my calories will probably never go over 1600 to 1800 calories even on S days. I will be making a lot of things from scratch eating this way and it is just too difficult to figure every little detail for calories etc. For example, today I had oatmeal for breakfast. I used 1/3 c dry oatmeal, to between 1/4 to 1/2 c blueberries (eyeballed), a couple of spoons of Greek yogurt, a few slices of banana so DH wouldn't feel overwhelmed by so much and a pinch of walnuts. I don't really don't know how to count cals or points with that. I'll be making a turkey sausage pizza today for lunch. I'll sprinkle a little bit of turkey sausage and mushrooms on it for flavor and then add a lot of veggies to mine. Just don't know how to count that either. However, by making these things at home on my own, we can have the tastes we want but have it healthier and less calories than pizza restaurants or store bought.

Took DH to the doctor yesterday. Doctor couldn't figure out what it was so he wanted get him in to see an ENT ASAP. So we go on Thursday to see one. This is one of the reasons I hate to move as much as I want to move back to TX. It seems that the fact that DH has a history of AFib and is on Coumadin and something else I never could remember, doc wanted to get on this immediately. I just pray it isn't anything serious and that it is treatable. He made the remark to us again as we left his office as to how much DH health has improved since he first saw him and I told him "Yes, and I want to keep him that way".

In the midst of all this, my DS is supposed to be here late tomorrow night on his way to get all of his stuff from Mass. and take it back to TX. I wouldn't be surprised if he and the girl who was his high school sweetheart break up. I was afraid he would get hurt, but I felt he had to find out that sometimes things don't turn out the way you thought they would. Then DGS returns Sunday afternoon and I've sandwiched in a permanent tomorrow afternoon. Busy week. I think that might be good with me getting on this way of eating.

Carol Sue

Sure miss Shannon. Hope she doing ok and just staying busy.

Sorry I've been so wordy lately. Y'all have a nice day.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #8  

Trish, I hope the doctor is able to get to the root of the problem for DH. I googled "coated tongue with loss of taste" and there are so many different things than can cause this. It's best to have the doctor decide the treatment.

I think you are doing well and I agree that you should not be taking the glimiperide. With your A1c I don't think you need it. It is said that it causes weight gain. Did DH ever gain weight from it? I didn't actually gain, but I am on a lower dose, and it could be the reason I can't lose weight even though I'm not gaining. You can do this without it.

I am making spaghetti today since I needed something fast. I will eat a small portion with lots of meatballs.

I went for my echocardiogram this morning. I should probably hear from the doctor in a few days. I usually get it done in the doctor's office and it was always done by the same woman. They don't do it anymore so I went to the local medical center. Either this woman just does it different, or something is wrong. She was either having problems with the machine or there was something different going on with my heart. Let's hope it was the machine. I'm going to try not to worry about it until I have reason to worry.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #9  
One Meal At A Time

Girls, I hope the medical concerns you are both dealing with are nothing more than simple inconveniences!

Either I am doing WW all wrong or it is simply not for me. I find it very difficult to eat anything but prepackaged food or to cook very strictly from WW approved recipes.

Will BBL; getting ready to take my last house guest to the airport. Thank the Lord! LOL
Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #10  

Elizabeth, that was one of the problems I had with WW. I rarely eat prepackaged foods. I used to enter the foods I was eating on Fitday and use the numbers that showed up to calculate my points. That was not really correct if I cooked my own recipes, but I would just use it as an estimate. I never used my weekly points so I guess they took up the slack. I don't think anyone can be exact. Even if you look in the WW book, they might list an item as 4 points, but it always depends on how you yourself cook it. For example, everyone who makes mashed potatoes uses a different amount of butter and milk, and some use low fat milk or butter substitute. I find it so much easier to use an online tracker and count calories.

I was reading something in the past few days where the guy said to lose weight, eat one ingredient foods. In other words, eat meat and veggies, cooked alone, not with recipes, which is pretty much the way I cook because that's the way DH likes to eat. He HATES casseroles so I rarely make them. He does not like sauces or gravies on his meat. I either roast of grill meat, then cook some vegetables and make whatever starch item he wants. It's very easy to count points or calories that way.

Out of curiosity, I looked for the WW forum here on 3FC but it's dead. It seems that the only forums here that are active are the Atkins/low carb forums. People seem to be going in that direction, but it's not for everyone. Each person has to decide what works and doesn't work. Right now, nothing is working for me!!
Old 06-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #11  

A quick flyby. I'm not doing WW or counting calories of carbs right now. Just trying to eat sensibly. Weight isn't doing anything but my FBS is good. It was 110 this morning. I heard an ad for Januvia this morning and I like the way it works. It enhances the way your body deals with insulin. If it needs help, it helps but if it doesn't need so much help, it doesn't. Very interesting.

BBL
Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #12  
One Meal At A Time

I'm going to have to try straight calorie counting and track everything for the next few weeks.

Anyone interested in trying a 7 day challenge, starting Monday?

Weight loss is not my focus, but I wouldn't turn my nose up to it, LOL.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weig...BkqbwE#image=1

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weig...BiTYkH#image=1

Nothing new, but sometimes I need the points driven home, again.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #13  

Sorry I didn't get back here yesterday. Hectic day. DS got in about 2 am this morning and left around 11 am this morning. He will be back sometime late Friday night or early Saturday morning on his way back to TX. DH has appt with ENT today so today will be busy too.

Carol Sue I surely do hope that the technician didn't know what she was doing and everything will check out okay for you.

Elizabeth Thanks for the websites. While it is true we know these things, I think it is good to have a reminder. I've been reading a lot of things I see online about healthy eating. One I read from a Health magazine article said that just change one eating habit at a time and do it until it becomes comfortable to you then change something else and so on until you build better/healthier eating habits.

I also read one yesterday and sorry that I don't remember where I got it from that gave what it called "Only 20 foods you need to lose weight" and then told how to use it. Nothing really. It seemed to be more of a "fiber" type diet. However, it did mention a lot of foods I like such as lentils, grapefruit, etc.

I haven't done really well with the NoSDiet. Just hasn't worked out yet because of so much going on. Hopefully once things get back to normal around here I can settle down to "just eating healthy".

This is another quick flyby since I've got to get DH up and we have to get ready to hit the road. He has a 1:30 appt to get PT draw before we go for the ENT appt. Good thing they are only a few blocks away from each other. One nice thing about everything being done online, he was able to fill out the first time visit forms and print them out to take with him so he can just hand them to the front desk. I just pray they don't find anything seriously wrong with him. I pray the same for you Carol Sue. When do you see your doctor for results?

Y'all have a great day.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #14  
Less of a Better Me

Hi, Wannebehealthy - It isn't so much that the WW forum is dead, but that we usually post in the monthly chat thread.

Momwithdogs - I follow WW and would be happy to try to answer any questions you might have. I'm a lifetime member of WW, I regained and have been losing again (I'm 3.6 pounds away from getting to goal - I've lost about 58 pounds on WW). (I am here because a few months ago I had a routine A1C test and it was higher than I would like although my fasting glucose was good.)

I also have a Fitbit. The Fitbit doesn't add anything to your daily points. If you sync it with WW you will earn activity points which you are free to eat or not eat. I personally eat all my daily points (I get 26) and usually about half of my weekly points and don't eat my activity points. But, there are times I eat them all.

I don't eat a lot of prepackaged foods. It is true that if you take 3 foods with the same calorie account and one was 100% protein, and one was 100% carbs and one was 100% fat - the one that was protein would be the fewest points. This is because more calories are using in burning protein than fat or carbs.

A few WW tips from my experience:

1. When eating food at home, weigh it if you can. If not, then measure it with a cup to determine serving size.

2. Track everything in writing (well, online). I often pre-track what I plan to eat that day and see how many points I have left and know that I can use for things that come up during the day. Sometimes, plans change but this gives me an idea of what the day will be like. When doing this pretracking, I put in a couple of healthy snacks (my go to snacks are a serving of pistachios (5 points - I have this almost everyday), berries (usually blackberries - 0 points), or a small square of dark chocolate (usually about 60 to 100 calories - 2 to 3 points).

3. When going out to eat, check the website of the restaurant and calculate your points in advance. As a rough guide if you know calories, but not nutritional info, a Points Plus equates between 35 to 40 calories depending on the nutritional composition. I usually just use 37 to estimate.

4. Be careful with zero point fruits and veggies. Well, mostly the fruits. Weight Watchers does assume you spend a couple of hundred calories on these each day and it is built into the program. But, they are also assuming that if you eat 5 servings that a few them are low cal veggies or low cal fruit. Be cautious about the higher calorie fruits such as bananas or pineapple.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #15  

Koshka Welcome!!! Thanks for sharing the WW tips.

ENT checked DH nasal passage for obstructions and found none. He did say that he has some acid reflux although DR doesn't really suffer from it much. He had blood drawn to check his thyroid. Wants him to use Flonex and Prilosec but he already takes Nexium. He did give him a B12 shot because he had a patient who had the same problem and his taste came back by nighttime although he couldn't explain why so he couldn't promise it would work this time. He said that it could even be caused by the diabetes. We see him again in 3 weeks.

Eating has been good today. My FBS was 125 this morning, but was down to 111 just before I ate breakfast. So I guess that wasn't so bad. Been a busy day so I'm headed to bed. Catch y'all tomorrow.