Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-18-2015, 12:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/tracker

Height: 5'10

Default How do you deal with rude comments?

What do you guys do when you're out for a walk, or even in the gym and someone shouts something rude to you or just makes stupid comments?

I was out for a walk with my brother and this kid (a teenage boy it looked like to me) was like half hanging out the window and yelled something at us. I didn't catch what he said, it just sounded like shouting "AHHH" to me really. But this was my first time taking a walk around the neighborhood and I was already so apprehensive because there's a lot of crime here, but it's not going to be exactly motivating if people are yelling things at me.

Why do people even do this? Don't they have lives of their own to worry about. Maybe I should be flattered that the kid put himself at risk of almost falling out of the car just to get our attention, lol.
tranquilize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

He's a teenager. nothing they do makes sense. The goal at that age was to be as annoying as possible.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #3  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Kids are stupid.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

People's rude comments say more about them than they say about you. Don't let it deter you but be strong and keep your head high.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #5  

If you're outside there's not much you can do. People are just jerks. If you're at the gym then get a staff member involved. It's likely that the person has been rude to others, too, and deserves having that behavior documented and eventually their membership revoked.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
People's rude comments say more about them than they say about you.
This is so very, very true.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

sorry you had this happen to you.
I was going to make a similar post myself. I got some comments in the gym on saturday, not because of my weight but because........wait for it......... i cut my hair.
I dont get my hair cut often as i hate it and i used it as a protection shield but on saturday i got my annual cut ready for my holiday and then headed off to the gym. A complete stranger came up to me while i was running and in quite an aggressive tone asked my why id had my hair cut.

Odd and it unsettled me.
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/307/200

Height: 5'5

Making fun of people based on their weight is the one last acceptable form of verbal bullying. Remember that teenage boys are not very forward thinking in their actions, they live in the moment. Also society teaches kids that it is ok to still make fun of people based on their weight.

I am not sure how to stop this behaviour but it says a lot about the education and family that child has and very little about you.
mmickey43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #9  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

awwww hun....if it was a teenage boy....and you didn't hear what he said.....he was probably shouting out about his pnis.....or his friend's pnis...
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

I agree with everyone above. It's not about you=it's about them. Just smile at them, bless them,( they are going for a reaction-don't give it) then when you can try some tapping(EFT) on it.
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMyFeet View Post
awwww hun....if it was a teenage boy....and you didn't hear what he said.....he was probably shouting out about his pnis.....or his friend's pnis...
This made me laugh so hard.

I got an absolutely terrible comment at work the other day. "Wow...all that weight loss and make up? Are you and your husband having problems?" It's a guy at my work known for preying on women to try to get laid. I turned around and the look on my face alone made him run away.
Sadly, I thought he was my friend, but now if he says anything ever again I will likely shank him with my trauma shears.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #12  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

I just deal with it. I've had very rude things shouted to me from cars, or even said to my face by a stranger on the street. It's not fun, and it can even feel threatening sometimes, but in the end I just have to handle it. Those people won't get less stupid, so I just have to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechyl View Post
I dont get my hair cut often as i hate it and i used it as a protection shield but on saturday i got my annual cut ready for my holiday and then headed off to the gym. A complete stranger came up to me while i was running and in quite an aggressive tone asked my why id had my hair cut. Odd and it unsettled me.
OMG, people are SO WEIRD about hair! I had the same thing happen. I chopped off like half my hair (it was getting way too long and I hated it), and this girl I barely knew was like "WHY?!?!?" And my aunt told me in no uncertain terms that I should not cut any more off my hair (she was like deadly serious - it was freaky). No idea why people are like that.

Last edited by Penny105; 05-19-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 350/tracker

Height: 5'10

The hair comments, omg. I cut all of my hair off (pixie cut) over the winter because I wasn't doing anything other than putting it in a bun and my hairline was receding because of it and I get major migraines. I LOVED it. Less shampoo and time in the shower meant I could save some money and I love that, lol. I actually bought some cute hair accessories and for the first time since high school I was doing fun things with my hair.

But the comments. A good family friend has been a complete a**hole about it. He calls me Shaniqua or something (I don't even know what that means) and my ex-best friend's boyfriend called me a dyke. WTF? First of all, even if I were a lesbian, what the heck business is it of yours. I support everything LGBT, love is love people! It just really hurt my feelings, especially because these were people I respected and trusted.

I guess I have to look at it the way that all of you wonderful, kind people have explained it. They're uneducated, stupid children, regardless of their age or status. If I like walking around my neighborhood to improve my health and happiness, screw them, what business is it of theirs anyway. The same with my hair.

I just don't understand why people insist on making everyone around them feel so small and stupid for what makes them happy or healthy or just brings them joy. I've always sort of though that once I lose weight and get healthy, if people who wanted nothing to do with me before the weight loss suddenly want in my life, I'm slamming a door in their faces. There's this quote that I love. "If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as **** don't deserve me at my best.” Marilyn Monroe said this, **** yea!

Thank you for the comments and words of encouragement everyone. I really appreciate it.
tranquilize is offline   Reply With Quote