Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 276/228/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Motivating Book/Documentary Rec's

I'm stuck in a plateau, and have been here for a over six weeks. I'm working on increasing exercise, and working on emotional eating (which caused me to gain weight in the first place). One thing that really helps keep my motivation up is watching food-related documentaries, as well as reading books/completing workbooks around healthy eating, behavioral skills for emotional eating, etc. It helps me to feel empowered and in control.

Does anyone have anything that has helped to motivate them? If not motivate, at least increase your knowledge about food?
cornucopiaoflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #2  
Round 2

S/C/G: 315/289.6/160

Height: 5'5

check out FMTV! they have a tonne of great information and a tonne of documentaries. a lot of which can be found on Netflix.

watch fat, sick, and nearly dead (1 &2)
food matters
food inc
hungry for change
farmageddon

there are tonnes out there and super inspiring

https://www.fmtv.com/documentaries
pegeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

Hi! So happy to see this approach. ck out my section : ok, apparently I can't post links just yet. But you could just type Fairys Red Color Diet into your search engine.Also I just started reading Jon Gabriels's Visualization book, love it, but he aslo has one called The Gabriel Method. I think. He lost over 200 pounds and his story is very inspirational. That should keep you busy a while. Before you know it a lot of time will have passed without any thoughts of food.
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #4  
Rin

S/C/G: 250/226/164

Height: 5'8"

I second Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. I was incredibly motivated by it! And the sequel is quite good, too!

I don't juice, but I was motivated to eat fresh fruits and vegetables each day and I started making a green smoothie for breakfast or a snack.

I also really liked the book The EveryGirl's Guide to Diet and Fitness by Maria Menounos! Very motivating and realistic approach to living a healthy lifestyle
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I don't agree with the conclusions but Good Calories, Bad Calories is a fantastic, technical read at 600 pages. My favorite book so far. And yet, like I said, I don't agree with its conclusions. But it does hold the secret for me within one of its pages...

Some of the youtube videos/lectures on Omega 3s are also really good imo. But I am a little fish biased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2dQWWlkf1o

Last edited by IanG; 03-27-2015 at 08:20 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 276/228/170

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll keep everyone updated about what I check out
cornucopiaoflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

Smile

The Tapping Solution for weightloss by Jessica Ortner Has really helped me with feelings and cravings big time and I just finished "Visualization for Weight Loss" by Jon Gabriel. These are the 2 best-most helpful ones I have ever read. You can read more about them and About all the other "tools" that have inspired me to lose 83 pounds so far on my blog ( www.fairysredcolordiet.com). BTW Jon lost over 200 pounds.
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #8  
Starting the Journey

S/C/G: 243.2/226.8/143.2

Height: 5'2''

My recommendations:

Creating Your Best Life (Caroline Adams Miller MAPP and Dr. Michael B. Frisch)

This book describes positive psychology, which I would describe in a few words as the science of what makes people thrive. Each chapter of this book revolves around a specific topic in the field, citing various research. At the end of the chapter (if I'm remembering correctly), you are recommended various actions/items to reflect upon.

I greatly enjoyed this book due to its science-backed approach to recommending the tools and techniques of people who are living a satisfying, enjoyable life. I used this book during a time of self-reflection, and it is the sort of tool that I can come back to time and again.

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (Charles Duhigg)

I am reading this book right now and it is so informative. I cannot yet vouch for if it gives tools and techniques for change, but in its compelling presentation of research about how and why habits are what they are, it is very easy to pull techniques for changing your habits. This book is absolutely wonderful.

So, I know these books aren't diet/health-focused, but the knowledge contained within is so empowering, enriching, and enlightening.
ayrenay is offline   Reply With Quote