Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default Found the best description of my diet in a 600 page book

I have just finished reading Good Calories, Bad Calories which is essentially a 600 page book on the evils of highly processed carbs and on the virtues of fats, which I don't fully buy in to. It's interesting, but I won't dwell on the substance. Because you would yawn.

Anyway, the highlight of the book for me was to find a perfect description of my diet, which has really worked for me and which I settled on through trial, error and experimentation. It's a half page on p.452 and the book doesn't even advocate following it.

But it is such a good description of what has worked so well for me, I will repeat it here. Ahem. I quote:

"The more optimistic response is a compromise position: to take virtually every reasonable hypothesis from the past fifty years that can coexist with the saturated fat/cholesterol hypothesis of heart disease and fold them all into one seemingly reasonable diet that might do us good and probably won't do harm. Thus, the current conception of a healthy diet is one that minimizes salt content and maximizes fiber; has plenty of good fats (monounsaturated and omega 3s) and minimizes bad fats (saturated fats and trans fats); has plenty of olive oil and fish, and little red meat, butter, lard and dairy products. When meat is consumed, it is lean, which keeps saturated fat content down and reduces energy density and thus, supposedly, calories. Dairy is low fat or no fat. The diet has plenty of nuts and legumes and good carbs, which are those with copious vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber (vegetables, fruits and unrefined grains) but few bad carbs (highly refined and sugars). It may be true that such a diet is uniquely healthy - but we have no idea if that's really so. The diet has the advantage of being politically correct; it can be recommended without fear of ostracism from the medical community. Whether it is healthier, however, than say a meat diet of 70-80 percent fat calories and absent carbs entirely or any diet of animal products (meat, fish, fowl, eggs and cheese) and green vegetables but absent of starches, sugar and flour or even sugar alone, is still anybody's guess."

Well, sorry. It's not my guess. It really has frickin' worked for me.

This is the best description of my diet I have found.

Last edited by IanG; 02-27-2015 at 07:51 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/140/115

Height: 5'3

Thanks, Ian, this is great!

"Whether it is healthier, however, than say a meat diet of 70-80 percent fat calories and absent carbs entirely or any diet of animal products (meat, fish, fowl, eggs and cheese) and green vegetables but absent of starches, sugar and flour or even sugar alone, is still anybody's guess." Love this! It's so true, there are so many diets and studies out there (most of them conflicting), the only thing you can do is find something that works for yourself.

Funny thing, over the past 8 months or so, this is the diet I've transitioned to and am following now, while not trying to lose weight, but trying to eat more healthily. In fact, I've actually gained 7 lbs following it. But this is probably due to the fact that I like to eat A LOT. I'm trying to bring the weight down now with portion control and exercise.
omnomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote