Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #103

Morning gals. It is freezing cold here this morning and we have to go out in it. On top of that, they are expecting ice and snow overnight and we have to go to the hospital first thing in the morning. I dread it and hope the hospital have their walks and steps cleared off.

Jack was sick all day and threw up on top of it all. He had a low grade fever on and off and went to bed at 7 last night and I was exhausted and followed suit not long after. He says he feels fine this morning.

We are headed out the commissary in a few hours and I dread it because I know it is going to be nuts because of weather predicted tomorrow but we have to go.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 02-15-2015 at 06:49 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #2  

Good Morning! It's another cold and cloudy day, the wind is wicked so I know the wind chill is way below 0. We've been to church and Bob had to go back for 2nd service. He is chairman of the Endowment Committee and has a report as to what the interest money has paid for in the last three years. I made another quick trip to the grocery store for what I forgot on the last trip. Hope I don't have to go again tomorrow!

"Gma," I'm glad Jack is feeling better today. The 24 hour bug can be nasty. We haven't gotten any snow yet, but it was predicted for last night and again tonight. I'd almost rather have the snow than this wind. I hope your weather forecast for tomorrow is wrong and you have an easy drive to the hospital. Good luck at the commissary; it's the same here when a storm is coming. People act like they're never going to eat again. Thanks for starting the new thread!

I need to change clothes, finish my corner cleaning, and put together a cheese ball for tomorrow night. Hope you all are enjoying a sunny day!

Last edited by Jean; 02-15-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Cloudy Sunday and COLD

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

This was the Sunday we went to another town for Will to preach for them and we had a wonderful time, The head of the museum followed us over there today and we all had a good time together.

Yesterday Will bought a half dozen huge strawberries decorated up in white chocolate and flowers. We shared the container and could only eat one since they were so huge. We just finished them off for they probably wouldn’t be any good tomorrow, The market here does a great job on them for sure. Usually strawberries that big are hollow in the center but not these. That is one thing I miss living on the west coast is the huge strawberry fields and the strawberry festivals they close main street in town to have. There are booth after booth with strawberries done a different way and all yummy. You can also buy a flat of just plain ones also.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like Jack had a dose of that quickie stuff going around. Glad he is better now. Hope you get what you are after while shopping.

JEAN Stay inside if you can during the cold weather. I sure don't like being out in it. I got my Fox Fur vest out awhile ago and am thinking of wearing it to evening services for it is in the 20's here.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #4  

Good morning gals. It is nasty, nasty outside this morning. You can hear the ice crystals hitting the windows. I am going to cancel the procedure for today since it isn't an emergency and call the dr's office and have them reschedule. I am not putting myself at risk walking. It is really, really bad out and this is just the beginning. Luckily, it is Presidents Day so Jack has the day off.

Since I am keeping my behind at home, maybe we can get the other blind up today and I can just get some cleaning done.

We went to the commissary yesterday and it was a bit nuts, but not too bad. We got in and got out and came home. I put some ribs in the crockpot and finished them off in the oven with some baked beans and Jack fixed some hash browns. It was pretty good but neither of us was very hungry. I ate one small rack of two bones and a bit of potato and no beans.

Maggie: Do you go very far away for him to preach at another church? One of the candy companies here does these fondant strawberries that are out of this world. They are big juicy berries then covered in a cordial type cream and double dipped in chocolate. I have never had anything like them anywhere else. We always had lovely berries in Indiana too.

Jean: The only thing we didn't get at the commissary was Jack's shampoo as they didn't have the fragrance he buys. He won't use any other and it is getting hard to find, but I will go by Walmart after my dr apt on Thursday and see if they have it. If not, he is going to have to use some other fragrance. Have fun at card club tonight. Hope you win!!

Everyone have a nice day. I am dreading the week of cold weather and nasty icy conditions. Faye
Old 02-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #5  

Good Morning! It's another cold and gloomy day in my neighborhood. We had about a dozen snow flakes fall as I was leaving the church this morning. Tomorrow night we are back to below 0 temps. Hope the weatherman was wrong! We balanced on the first try and my part balanced as well. I was done and on my way to the hospital by 9 which is very rare. I am taking a quick break before I start cleaning veggies for tonight. It seems like I just "clean" one thing and notice something else that needs to be dusted, cleaned, moved, or whatever. I'm glad I only have to do this once a year. Hah!

Maggie, I wish we were getting "good" strawberries now. Our's are pretty sad looking. I'm not sure where they come from.

"Gma," I think you were wise to cancel your appointment. There is no point in taking a chance on falling if you don't have to. Bob usually waits until he is either completely out, or just one squirt left, and he'll ask if I'm going to the store. Usually it's the same day I just ran errands and could have saved a trip.

I need to get back to my "to do" list. Hope you all enjoy your day!
Old 02-17-2015, 05:50 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. It is very, very cold and icy again this morning. I have no idea what streets are like, but we put down melting stuff and it did absolutely nothing on our deck. The temps here are going to stay below freezing so nothing is going to melt.

I rescheduled my hospital apt for tomorrow with no problem, but frankly don't know if tomorrow will be better. Jack says there is an overhang across the front of the hospital steps and sidewalks but I am not sure how far out it comes. I told him if it is too bad that he can go in and request a wheelchair and then they can pick me up at the patient pick up area where the only thing I have to do is get out of the car. Then I will request one to take me back. I have a regular dr apt on Thursday and must keep it because I need prescriptions filled but I may try and move it forward a bit because of the weather because I will be alone that day and have to park a distance away from the dr office and walk.

Jack should be up soon to get ready for work. I need to check interstate cams and see what the streets look like.

Jean: I have gotten Jack into a routine that when he takes a body wash, shaving cream, or shampoo out of the cabinet, he tells me or writes it on my little dry erase magnet thing I have on my fridge and next shopping trip I replace it. That way he never runs out. I also have him check what he is low on every shopping trip just in case he didn't put it on the fridge list. Hope you had a nice time last night.

Everyone have a good day and stay warm. Faye
Old 02-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! We have had strange weather today! It was snowing when I came downstairs about 6. I went to my lab appointment at 7:30 and back to visit the doctor at 8:30. All of my numbers are down from last August so he was happy. I was more than happy with a 10# loss! In that hour the wind came up and the snow was blowing around pretty good. By 10:00 the sun was shining, then some big lazy snowflakes began to fall. The sun has disappeared and now it's just cloudy, windy, and cold. I have the puny gift shop deposit ready to take to the bank and need to return library books that are due today. Needless to say I feel very lazy after my whirlwind cleaning for card club. There was quite a bit of food left over which Bob ate for lunch.

"Gma," I sure hope your weather shapes up so you can keep your appointment tomorrow. I usually buy two of soap, toothpaste, etc., and Bob kids me about having a stash hidden in the closet. I just don't like to run out of anything I use on a daily basis. Keeping a list on the fridge is a good idea.

I need to do my card club dishes and get my kitchen put back together. Hope you all enjoy a nice day and keep warm!
Old 02-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. I woke up and had to go to the bathroom so gave up trying to go back to sleep as I have to get up in an hour anyway. I sat here and balanced my checkbook, checked on deliveries I am expecting today and looked at shoes on Amazon.

I don't think my hubby is past being sick yet. He said he just didn't feel well last night and had the sniffles. The man didn't get a flu shot even though I nagged him about it so I sure hope that isn't what is happening. He took Nyquil and was going to sleep in the recliner, said he couldn't get comfortable and went up to bed. Hopefully he will feel better this morning.

Jack shoveled off the icy slush and put down ice melt along the deck and into the garage so hopefully this morning I can get out without slipping. I just want to get these dr appts over with. I am tired of going to the doctor every darn week and until the drain is out and no more fluid, I will continue this. I am going to try and keep my regular dr apt tomorrow if the walks and such look clear. I told Jack we would drive by after the hospital visit since the clinic is right there amidst all the hospital stuff and see how the walks and parking lot looked since I have to go by myself tomorrow.

Since I have so much trouble walking nowadays, I bought myself something called a chair gym which I hope will allow me to get in some exercise every day without putting further stress on that bad knee. It got rave reviews from seniors about giving them more mobility, range of motion and strength and I can tell my doctor that yes I am not getting exercise everyday! She always asks me.

I talked with Jack about whether he thought I should get a medic alert bracelet having diabetes. I am not insulin dependent anymore and my disease is well controlled, but I still felt if I was in a situation where I couldn't speak for myself or he couldn't speak for me, I needed something to indicate I have diabetes and emergency contact. He agreed with me so I ordered a very pretty rose gold bracelet with little hearts and the alert with the underside having my name, my illness and my ICE (in case of emergency) number, which is Jack's cell phone. The darn thing wasn't cheap that's for sure. It cost me $16 just for the engraving and $50 for the bracelet. The cheapest they had was $40. Ahh well.

Jean: Now you have a lovely clean house for about 2 minutes if you are like me. They surely never stay clean. They were expecting sleet, snow and icy conditions a bit north of us, but we weren't supposed to get anything. I sure hope not. We have no snow plows in this city and only 13 salt/sand trucks so a lot of places didn't even get treated. I guess the road out to Jack's plant is a mess. I dread having to drive it tomorrow. Yes, I have this little 6 x 8 inch magnetized dry erase thingy that I have had for years. You can't put a huge amount on it, but it is great when we run out of something to jot it down on it then I take the list and put it on my master list when I go shopping. That way I don't forget what it was we needed. I don't even know where I ever got the thing as I have had it for years. Congrats on good numbers and #'s lost. I hope my doctor doesn't grumble over my increase and I hope my A1C hasn't hopped up significantly.

Everyone have a good middle of the week. Faye
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies! 27 degrees and not getting much warmer today.

We got up to 9 inches of snow yesterday. They put brine on the main roads Monday but there was too much snow. Everything is now shut down for the second day and only colder - and more snow tomorrow - weather in sight until Sunday when it warms up and the rain moves in. I'm staying in all snug and warm. We didn't get a newspaper yesterday since they are printed in Richmond and the roads were too bad and I didn't think we'd have one today but there it was this morning. I debated about trying to bring it in but when I stepped outside, I just walked on top of the ice covered snow and never did sink down.

Faye, I hope everything goes well for you today. If you cancel surgery here without 3 days notice, it costs you $500 out of pocket. The doctor told me last week that there is a bad gastritis going around. Flu doesn't make you throw up.

Jean, I love that dip, too. We've been having strawberries on sale here but they are so anemic looking I wouldn't take them home if they were free.

Maggie, When Glory and I went to tea on Saturday, Nora had made chocolate dipped strawberries and they were so good. She also surprised me with a flourless chocolate cake that was to die for.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #10  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, wind is blowing, and it's warmed up to -3. I don't even want to guess at the wind chill. I need a loaf of bread but I'm not leaving the house until late this afternoon for bell practice. The washer and dryer are humming away, card club evidence put away, and have a frozen leftover casserole waiting for the oven.

"Gma," I hope all is going well with your procedure this morning. I do hope Jack is feeling much better too. I hate that "punk" feeling. I think the medic ID is a good idea. You should see my sparkling clean floor today! The garage floor is dirty from the melting snow and dirt so have foot prints coming and going. There are paw prints behind one chair when a furry child walked before the floor was dry. It's a no win battle with this floor.

Susan, I am not surprised at your weather after watching the national weather news. This has been a crazy winter! Be extra careful walking outside! What is in the cake in place of the flour?

I hear the dryer buzzing so have towels to fold and another load ready to go. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 02-18-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:18 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. It is extremely cold here this morning but no precipitation. There are still lots of slick spots around town mostly parking lots, driveways, or side streets that haven't been treated. We got around easily yesterday.

I now have a second drain in. This was a breeze I think mainly because people probably canceled appointments. My appointment was for 10 and we were in radiology at 9:30. I only sat 5 minutes or so and they took me back. I was finished and on my way in less than an hour unlike last time where I was there 12 hours. It also has a shorter hose so it is a lot easier to deal with. I taped it to right below my knee and it has been fine. I hope this does the trick and gets rid of it all permanently.

We then went to Lowes to get me new house keys and then Jack took me to Genghis Grill for lunch. We stopped for a couple things at Kroger and headed home for the day. Jack said he would pick up a couple more boxes after work so I can get the other stuff packed so we can get that other darn blind hung on Saturday.

I am down about 10 lbs, for the last couple weeks, which is good.

I had to reschedule my dr apt because the parking lot is on a hill you have to walk down and it was still ice covered yesterday. They didn't have her new schedule so will have to call back next week.

Susan: Sounds like you had a nice time before you got snowed in so to speak. Glad you didn't try to venture out. Don't need broken hips at our age.

Jean: Jack seems to be ok again with no ill feelings. I know I went upstairs yesterday morning to take a shower and he had vomited all over the toilet, lid, seat and all. I had Clorox sheets I keep up there so had to clean the whole thing and wash me hands before I even got to brush my teeth! It was a mess. I asked him what happened and he said he got sick in the middle of the night. I don't know why he didn't clean it up or why it was all over the place. What a mess! Men!!! I have little pieces of the snow melt stuff gets tracked in and you step on it and I can't vacuum 24/7 but I try to keep it picked up when I step on it or see it. I will be glad when spring finally arrives. Funny thing it is only about 8 degrees right now and day after tomorrow it is supposed to be 70!!!

You all have a great day. I am going to tackle upstairs today. Faye
Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies! We've reached the high for today - 18 degrees - and the temps are on their way down to 0 tonight. It snowed another 1/2 inch yesterday evening so now the ice is snow covered. I'm planning on staying in and hope I can get out on Monday to go to a make-up meeting of Glory Bee.

Faye, sounds like Jack had a bout of projectile vomiting. Poor you having to clean it up! I can't stand the smell. UGH! Hopefully this drain will do the trick. How is Kelly's leg coming along?

Jean, Nora won't shore her recipes so I don't know what is in the cake besides eggs, salt, baking chocolate and cream. It sure is a good cake. The consistency is like a gooy brownie.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday & a Very Nice Cold Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

I showed a “maintain” on the scale this weigh day which is good since I had such a nice big loss last week. My average for this year is still 1˝ pounds loss per week for each week of this year so far, I am happy for that.

Not much going on this day here in the ♥-Land. Will is at the museum doing his hours of volunteer work there and when he gets home we will go visit the buffalo. I have inkling that they have taken the girl caves out of the pen for they have gotten quite big now. There are several small herds around this state and a new female is welcomed into their herds to make babies by their bulls. It helps keep the small herds healthy.

We have a birthday party to attend this coming Saturday when a friend is celebrating his 90th birthday. What fun that will be.

I hope all you Magnolias are having a wonderful day.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! Another cold day in my corner of the world, -7 when I came downstairs this morning but has warmed up to 12. Woohoo! I had my monthly coffee date this morning, then made a quick trip to Sioux City with Bob. He has become the man in charge of light bulbs for the church sanctuary and used the last bulb for a hanging chandelier lamp last week. Afterwards we had lunch/supper at Applebee's. There's no point in starting any projects at this time of the day; tomorrow will be soon enough!

"Gma," I'm glad your second drain procedure went smoother than the first. It would be wonderful if this one takes care of the problem! I envy your anticipated 70 degrees!

Susan, hopefully you will have some warmer weather to melt the snow and ice. This time of year I get cabin fever. This has been a long winter, and it isn't over yet.

Maggie, a maintain is "good" after a big loss. I hope I can keep my 10#s gone through the sweet corn season. Have fun at the birthday party!

Guess I will watch the news and see what's going on around the area, plus what tales the weatherman will have in his forecast. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! It's a bit warmer in my neighborhood today at 26 degrees right now. The sun was shining this morning but the clouds have taken over. I've been doing laundry and looking for checks I've written in 2014, that Bob needs for the tax man. I had a shocker this morning. The hospital volunteer director called to tell me the accountant that sends me the bank statement, processes my checks, and helped me when the checkbook didn't balance was let go. She said everyone at the hospital was in shock, and of course, no reason was given. She had been there 15 years, and so easy to work with. I knew the "no reason" part from Bob and the "let go" happenings in his company. They always say, "your services are no longer needed." Then the fired person can't come back and sue the company. I can't imagine all the snow that has fallen in different parts of the eastern states. Niagara Falls was interesting to see frozen. What a mess it will be when it all melts. I have been reading J.D. Robb books and have a hard time not reading instead of doing my chores.

I need to think about something for lunch. I think soup, leftover smokies, cheese and veggies will be it. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!