Old 02-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #1  
BAV

Default IP possible without the packets and sugar?

I am interested in following the IP diet but like to keep my diet free of packaged food and any food with any sugar (added or otherwise). Are there any alternatives to the IP packets that anyone has tried, for e.g. 5 egg whites instead of a packet?

Thanks
BAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi BAV: There is a whole thread on using alternatives that you might find helpful. You could do a search for it on this forum. There are a few of us that do have dietary restrictions such as Gluten Free or allergies to soy or dairy or specific sweeteners and who have made IP work for us with a few tweaks. It can be done - but it takes a lot of research to make sure you will be getting the equivalent of what the IP packets are providing, so you do have to be willing to do the work .

If it's just a lifestyle choice to 'not eat space food' or any sugars, you might remember this is only a temporary phase and you can move on to only organic or non-processed or whatever once you are at goal and have learned how to eat properly for maintenance. After all, I was eating mainly non-processed & organic and still needed to lose the weight before IP.... as have a few others on here. Eating 'healthy' doesn't mean one automatically loses weight necessarily, lol.

Hope to see you start your journey soon, you are still welcome to post in the alternatives thread especially if you are following an IP style with alternative foods/products. Everyone deserves a little encouragement and congrats when they have a victory.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #3  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAV View Post
I am interested in following the IP diet but like to keep my diet free of packaged food and any food with any sugar (added or otherwise). Are there any alternatives to the IP packets that anyone has tried, for e.g. 5 egg whites instead of a packet?

Thanks
Have you considered Atkins? Like IP, it is designed to get the body burning fat by inducing the state of dietary ketosis. On Atkins, you can use whole food. The thing about IP is that it claims that the packets provide protein in a form that is more readily digested.According to IP, there is less muscle loss than other very low calorie diets that use regular food.

Best of luck to you!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

Autoimmune paleo protocol or low carb paleo would be similar. Macro nutrients will be slightly different.
Zero need of processed foods.
if you ditch the packets your only using macro nutrient scale of ip.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2

I would check out any of Jorge Cruise's books. They are low carb plans that work - I've followed his Belly Fat Cure plan with great success. Unfortunately I chose to cope with stress by eating and decided to do IP because of the structure and coaching aspect. I needed to be accountable to someone!
stephascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 AM   #6  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

The other place you could look is the Maintainers' What Are You Eating thread. These folks have done IP and are using "real" food now to maintain. You may have to play around with the macros as their allowed carbs will be higher than the IP program allows, but it will give you an idea of how you can plan an alternative method.

As wylothar says, the paleo family of diets is similarly ketogenic (fat burning), and many people have great success on those, too.

Sugars come in many forms. The simple sugars you may want to avoid, but the complex ones in vegetables are almost unavoidable if you want to maintain health while losing weight. Too many people focus on the loss rather than the fact that you can become nutrient deficient if you aren't building a healthy diet plan.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #7  

As others have said, similar programs are available using only real foods.
The one that come to mind for me is Southbeach. Atkins is much higher in far than IP. I did well on it once but still over consumed food. Even a paleo autoimmune protocol doesn't restrict calories & fats as much as IP. I viewed p1 as temporary and used the packets
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #8  

Take any low carb protocol (preferable ketogenic) and slap a 1.2k a day cap max and an 900-100k a day average. you going to be pretty close.

IP recommendation for a single protein is 4 whole and 2 whites.
Most IP packets are 100 calories keep that in mind. I believe eggs are about 70 calories some a piece whole for large grade A, egg whites @ 17 calories.
6 egg whites and some butter to lube the pan your breakfast is probably pretty close IP packet.
from a calorie stand point. The engineered foods exact profile will be hard to mimic closely.

If you eat with the large calorie deficit and use a home made supplemental bone broth from grass feed boiling bones. You will get all the nutrients or more than IP offers and can maintain very low calorie, low carb approach. But your foods will not be as diverse.
Me personally I would like to see the fat % in IP raised. It is too critical for hormone functions, increase satiety, are complimentary in the ketosis process. The only issue is 1 gram of fat @ 9 calories vs protein @ 4 calories per gram. you have twice the energy available but also you total calorie count builds fast.

If you ditch the grains period, legumes, dairy and processed sugars. I find it hard pressed except for the worst of the worst metabolically wouldn't get to a far more normal body composition. Have you ever tried to eat 4-5k calories a day of real planetary food? Especially keeping it in reasonable plate profile. At my body size calorie calculators put my maintenance at about 4k a day.

Last edited by wylothar; 02-05-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #9  

Just a point of clarification:

IP protocol for eggs for DINNER protein (instead of the 8oz meat) is 6 eggs (2-4 whole, remainder egg whites). So it could be 3+3 or 2+4 or 4+2

For a breakfast, lunch, or snack packet equivalent, it would be 1 egg + 2-3 egg whites.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I am 100% in agreement re: healthy fats being too low in IP. Again, I view it as temporary. And I'm a HUGE bone broth proponent. I make it weekly and this winter it has been how I've had the majority of my lunch veggies (a veggie soup with LC veggies in chicken bone broth).

My tendency to over-consume food (any food) is why I've been so successful on IP. There is a clear "black and white" about being on plan or not. It restricts calories and choices. Would I prefer that the packets be made from grass fed whey, no soy or gluten, and no artificial sweeteners? YOU BET! Have I moved toward finding those items instead of going back to a clinic? Yes.

But, bottom line, when I have weight to lose, IP is the most efficient means to an end.

Dealing with my desire for volume eating will be a lifelong battle and is what makes maintenance so hard for me. I consider Phase 1 as putting me in remission from the obesity and the overconsumption. There are foods I'll have to abstain from to continue to maintain without frequent reboots.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-05-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #10  
Restarted IP 1/1/17

S/C/G: 280/265/180

Height: 6' 1.5"

Lisa, have a question on the 4 wholes and 2 egg whites. What is the reason that you cannot have the two extra yolks?
Viking_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Just a point of clarification:

IP protocol for eggs for DINNER protein (instead of the 8oz meat) is 6 eggs (2-4 whole, remainder egg whites). So it could be 3+3 or 2+4 or 4+2

For a breakfast, lunch, or snack packet equivalent, it would be 1 egg + 2-3 egg whites.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I am 100% in agreement re: healthy fats being too low in IP. Again, I view it as temporary. And I'm a HUGE bone broth proponent. I make it weekly and this winter it has been how I've had the majority of my lunch veggies (a veggie soup with LC veggies in chicken bone broth).

My tendency to over-consume food (any food) is why I've been so successful on IP. There is a clear "black and white" about being on plan or not. It restricts calories and choices. Would I prefer that the packets be made from grass fed whey, no soy or gluten, and no artificial sweeteners? YOU BET! Have I moved toward finding those items instead of going back to a clinic? Yes.

But, bottom line, when I have weight to lose, IP is the most efficient means to an end.

Dealing with my desire for volume eating will be a lifelong battle and is what makes maintenance so hard for me. I consider Phase 1 as putting me in remission from the obesity and the overconsumption. There are foods I'll have to abstain from to continue to maintain without frequent reboots.
i agree, I think IP is one of the most efficient. Primary reason I on reboot with it.
I am likely going to be on a very AIP/ GAPs style maintenance with occasional safe starch. IE sweet potatoes. All the other stuff going to have to be nixed. My free passes for bad choices have expired for life. Likely going to get Chris Kresser 'the paleo cure' as a great tool for a maintenace phase. He kind of has a build your own adventure model. Lot of tweaks and troubleshooting in it for various challenges diet related.

Have you looked at hemp protein also. Pretty complete protein and doesn't have the negative effects to the body that a dairy based protein or the soy based foods do. onnit.com has one of the best tasting hemp protein mixes. The others all kind of have a subtle taste of hay and it has some crunch to it also because of seeds. Contrary to some peoples concern they wont flag an employment drug test. Hemp doesn't have THC in it.

I am only doing staying pretty much OP and that all I plan on till I transition out. No fake food alternative products. My fats are little higher by only small percentage. Those fats are very specific also. I am flagging deep ketosis on ketone sticks everyday.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_Jim View Post
Lisa, have a question on the 4 wholes and 2 egg whites. What is the reason that you cannot have the two extra yolks?
personally adding two egg yolks adds about 100+/- more calories. that is about 10% of daily total average on IP from my calculations.
Egg whites themselves are almost pure protein. http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-egg-white-i293039
Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #13  

wylothar
I actually tried hemp protein and it gave me stomach issues.
Perhaps it was that one. I will try again.
I'm currently moving to grass fed whey and/or other organic sources of protein "packets". Oh how I wish Quest bars were made from organic sourced foods.

I'm a big fan of Chris Kresser (and others in that "realm"). I'm in the process of being evaluated by Dr. Kalish, who you have probably also heard of. I'm guessing you and I have a lot in common in the realm of holistic health and wellness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_Jim View Post
Personal feelings aside, it is the way the P1 protocol sheet has it listed.

I am in agreement that the IP protocol is very low fat (maybe too low). Deleting 2 of the egg yolks is one way they control calories.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
wylothar
I actually tried hemp protein and it gave me stomach issues.
Perhaps it was that one. I will try again.
I'm currently moving to grass fed whey and/or other organic sources of protein "packets". Oh how I wish Quest bars were made from organic sourced foods.

I'm a big fan of Chris Kresser (and others in that "realm"). I'm in the process of being evaluated by Dr. Kalish, who you have probably also heard of. I'm guessing you and I have a lot in common in the realm of holistic health and wellness.

Personal feelings aside, it is the way the P1 protocol sheet has it listed.

I am in agreement that the IP protocol is very low fat (maybe too low). Deleting 2 of the egg yolks is one way they control calories.
I do see a ton of similar ideas.
I really like how Kresser isn't will call BS on unsound science even if it actually furthers his movement. He was a recent guest on robb wolf podcast debunking the red meat scare. I also wish Matt Lalonde had more stuff public. I hate to have a study review by him.
I believe it was underground wellness podcast I heard him.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

I just found this thread and I love the discussion. I have been contemplating maintenance and how I would do it going forward. I think I will go the way of Atkins and maybe Primal. I'll have to check out Chris Kresser also. I think adding in healthy fats and maybe the "safe starches" is the way I will go. I like the idea of real, whole foods for me as a diet and for my kids as a better way to eat and be healthy.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote