PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Success with an Endocrinologist?

Hi Everyone!

Just curious of your thoughts towards visiting an endocrinologist for pcos. I think I may finally be in a position to make an appointment.

Did you find it extremely beneficial, some benefit, or helpful at all? Was anything discussed that seemed more tailored to your symptoms as far as diets/medications? Overall how was your experience?

Thank you for your help...and sorry to sound like a survey!
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/283/189

Height: 5'5"

Hello Kalaya, I had a great experience with an endocrinologist that I saw a couple of years ago. Lately I haven't been working on my PCOS plan, but when I was I definitely saw significant changes in my health (for the better). I am going to start working my plan again to help with weightless. I will start by visiting the endocrinologist and talking with a naturopath. Good luck with your journey!
Shebelievedshecould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

YES! Please make sure you get a hold of a REPRODUCTIVE endocrinologist, however, because when I went to an endo for the first time, it was just a normal one and while he knew something about PCOS/IR, he was more focused on diabetes and had no clue about the reproductive system effects of PCOS.

A reproductive endocrinologist will probably have had PCOS cases before and will probably be able to manage your PCOS better.

I went to one of the better ones in my city (and he was part of my insurance, yay!) and he was good. He did the blood work and glucose tolerance tests, and also gave me literature (which I had already) and recommended different diets and was willing to work with me in terms of not using medication (I wanted to avoid taking Metformin).
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

Height: 5'4"

Thank you both for your responses I would prefer to not take medication also, so that is encouraging!
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/314/180

Not to hijack this thread, but what if you see an RE and he doesn't want to treat the PCOS with metformin? I've asked my gynecologist, who is also a RE, about the possibility of going on metformin, because I was on it a long time ago and it helped me lose weight SO much. But he told me I need to talk to my regular doctor about it, that he doesn't usually prescribe metformin. But I'm not sure if my regular doctor even knows I have PCOS. I know I do because years ago when I was trying to conceive, I found out I was insulin resistant, and ultrasounds have shown the pearl-like cysts on my ovaries. I have always had regular cycles though, which are very heavy, and although I have conceived 4 times, they've all ended in 1st trimester miscarriages. However I think I will have a hard time convincing my regular doctor to prescribe metformin because my glucose levels are normal. I really don't know what to do at this point, because even though my glucose levels are normal, I know I can still be insulin resistant, but I don't see my regular doctor or RE prescribing me metformin, which I know will help me lose weight.

So I would love to see a regular endocrinologist, but how could I get a referral to one when my glucose levels are normal? Is there some other testing I should do, and who should I ask to perform it, my regular doctor or my gynecologist/RE? I really don't know what to do.
Minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

So, first things first. Have your RE send your general practitioner your records -- all medical exams, notes, etc. This is normal, and your doctors should all be working together.

Secondly, make the appoint with your GP and ask him/her about the information the RE sent over and that you used to take Metformin ages ago and it worked really well. Since you're at 314 lbs, your GP should understand the desire to lose weight for your health and if you did lose weight on Metformin, then I think he/she will want to prescribe it to you.

I am actually surprised your RE doesn't want you on Metformin or is nervous about putting you on it.

But talk to your GP after you get your medical records over. Metformin will stabilize your insulin, but it's not a weight loss pill (like fen phen or others) that can cause severe side-effects.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/180/140

Height: 5ft3

Look up reviews of endos on your ins plan. Mine is sooo nice. I had been diagnosed years ago but she still wanted to do tons of blood work to rule out cushings, etc. if you don't want meds, lifestyle changes are the only way to help yourself. That's the truth. Even with meds, you still have to change. It isn't easy but....
helen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #8  

I found your discussions very interesting. I found this website on accident while searching for PCOS support and so far I love it. My teenage daughter was recently diagnosed after years of trouble. Who would have thought that PCOS could have such nasty side effects. I was just wondering what success any of you have had with a RE thus far? New to PCOS I found an awesome article outlining the syndrome and giving tips for diet and weight management. It was an article about the PCOS diet from detoxscientific. Very interesting and informational. Just looking for feedback from others who suffer with weight and hormonal imbalances as well to better assist my daughter.
mcpherson1997 is offline   Reply With Quote