Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #1  
Emporium owner

S/C/G: 265/179/160

Default Going back to some basics, wonder why it didn't occur to me earlier

When I started IP in August I had a goal to loose 105Lbs and go from 265 to 160. That number was somewhat arbitrary, the charts say I should weigh 150 but with my large frame that would be low. I weighed 160 at my best at 18 in the Army so I chose 160. While I am not a couch potato and do lead an active life, I have not had any deliberate excercise program. So I decided on two goals, the first is that I will start waking 4 miles a day every day and started that early this week. I can't help but think why did it not occur to me in August to start walking 4 miles a day, I probably would be even further along on my goal.

The second goal is that I want by the end of the year to be able to meet the same Army standards for pushups, situps, and 2 mile run that I met at 17 years old. I figure that is a pretty good goal for a 42 year old who was 100Lbs overweight. I have no plans of running marathons, phuck that, running is the most unenjoyable thing I can imagine an even at my best of running 5 miles a day I HATED it. I figure 2 miles in 15 min an done is good enough. You want me to run more than that and somebody better be shooting at me, and I will pass on that as well because that sucks as well, slightly less than running. I figure 160 and in the same shape I was at 17 should take me from lardass to above average for a 42 year old.
Ted Sheckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #2  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
When I started IP in August I had a goal to loose 105Lbs and go from 265 to 160. That number was somewhat arbitrary, the charts say I should weigh 150 but with my large frame that would be low. I weighed 160 at my best at 18 in the Army so I chose 160. While I am not a couch potato and do lead an active life, I have not had any deliberate excercise program. So I decided on two goals, the first is that I will start waking 4 miles a day every day and started that early this week. I can't help but think why did it not occur to me in August to start walking 4 miles a day, I probably would be even further along on my goal.

The second goal is that I want by the end of the year to be able to meet the same Army standards for pushups, situps, and 2 mile run that I met at 17 years old. I figure that is a pretty good goal for a 42 year old who was 100Lbs overweight. I have no plans of running marathons, phuck that, running is the most unenjoyable thing I can imagine an even at my best of running 5 miles a day I HATED it. I figure 2 miles in 15 min an done is good enough. You want me to run more than that and somebody better be shooting at me, and I will pass on that as well because that sucks as well, slightly less than running. I figure 160 and in the same shape I was at 17 should take me from lardass to above average for a 42 year old.
Heh, my husband is doing the same thing. For his last year of AD he was pretty much taped for every fitness test. Now he can meet most of the requirements except the run, and he says his knees are too messed up for that as a result of all the Army runs he was forced to do. I'm guessing that's why you hate running, too!

Last edited by Briael; 01-23-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #3  
Emporium owner

Yep. Some people run and get envigorated and happy. My shins burn and ache and the whole experience beats my knees up. I was AD myself, 507th when I was there.

Funny, I see you are in El Paso. I was stationed there for a while. I ran from Dyer to the South gate over and over when I was stationed there and developed my hatred of running. When we got deployed to Iraq it was "WHOO HOO, WE GET TO LEAVE EL PASO".

Last edited by Ted Sheckler; 01-23-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 AM   #4  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Quote:
You want me to run more than that and somebody better be shooting at me, and I will pass on that as well because that sucks as well, slightly less than running.
Thank you for the laugh!! I needed a good one today. My brother is currently stationed at Fort Bliss in El Paso.
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #5  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Good thoughts! When I started walking 4 miles a day in my hilly neighborhood, my losses on IP accelerated.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/208/180

Height: 5'8"

To funny! Wow from nothing to 4 miles a day that's bold!! let us know how that goes. I'm joining a gym to take classes, I hate walking lol
kcdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #7  
Emporium owner

It is going well, being generally active it wasn't a stretch to just make a formal commitment of a 1 hour walk which works out to 4 miles. Despite being 105 overweight until IP I was actually in good metabolic condition, no health problems, and in decent shape under the weight. But being past 40 that couldn't hold up forever so this was an ideal time to get my act together.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:12 AM   #8  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
It is going well, being generally active it wasn't a stretch to just make a formal commitment of a 1 hour walk which works out to 4 miles. Despite being 105 overweight until IP I was actually in good metabolic condition, no health problems, and in decent shape under the weight. But being past 40 that couldn't hold up forever so this was an ideal time to get my act together.
That'll be all those nice runs they made you do.

Seriously, good for you for getting back into the exercise routine. Doesn't really matter what you do, provided you do something.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote