Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 03:37 PM   #1  

Default Can I take a month off?

I have been with WW since Jan. 2003 and have lost 55#, now I am 3# from goal and the weight is stuck. Can I take a month off, and rejoin in September? I have tried the Wendy plan, exercising, drinking lots of water, eating at different levels of my point range, etc. I just think I could save the money and rejoin with a new attitude...I still plan to stay within my points and watch my weight at home. I'm really not getting anything out of the meetings or from the leader. Any suggestions....thankx
Old 08-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #2  

You can certainly take a month off, but do keep on the plan and come here for support. As far as the meetings go, what do you contribute to the meeting? Your input can get other people to talk too. It has been proven that people who attend a face-to-face meeting lose more weight and keep it off longer.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:06 PM   #3  

Default Scary!

Been there, done that ...never again! Years ago, I was 10 pounds from goal, hit a plateau, thought I'd "give myself a break", and try again in a month ...the month turned into a year, and I gained everything back, plus some ...it's just not worth it! Find a class that has a lecturer that motivates you ...get involved ...but don't 'take a break'!

This last time that I joined (3 1/2 years ago), I told myself that it would be the last time I would ever join, because I was never quitting again ...I lost 70 pounds, and then I hit the worlds longest plateau (well ...it FELT like it!) ...it lasted almost a year, but I considered the alternative (taking 'a break', and gaining ...even though that's NOT what the plan would have been) ...I stuck it out ...I'm down almost 100 pounds, and have been a lifetime member since April ...it's been worth it ...plateau and all! I'll say it once again ...don't do it ...hang in there, and you'll get to goal ...don't set a time limit on it, just stick with it, and it will happen for you.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:29 AM   #4  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

Why would you take a month off? This is not a DIET it is a lifestyle change. If you look at as a DIET then by all means do what you want. But if you are looking at WW as a lifestyle, don't do it. You will just be going back to old habits.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:32 PM   #5  

I've considered doing this too. My weight loss has slowed down and no matter what I do I can't break my pattern of staying the same for 3/4 weeks and then losing 2-4 pounds.

I really should of taken the summer off saved some money and disappointment. My weight has really not decreased much in a few months. The only thing that stopped me is hearing the other members say that they did the same thing and they gained.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for your input. I did go to weigh in last night and was down 2# ( I gained 1.8# last week) so I am still playing with the same two pounds. After looking in my membership book, I realize that I have played with these 2# for 6 weeks-thats $60.00. I am considering taking a break just until the new system starts, which is Aug. 24th here. I don't plan on being off the program or gaining back any weight (famous last words, right?) Any way, keep the input coming and I may still change my mind-after all-I am a woman and it's my perogative (sp?)

Have a great day and drink your water!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:44 PM   #7  

Talking Congratulations

Quote:
Originally posted by Caledon
I can't break my pattern of staying the same for 3/4 weeks and then losing 2-4 pounds.

This is exactly the kind of progress you should be making. WW wants members to lose an AVERAGE of .5 to 2 lbs. a week. It sounds like you are doing precisely that. Average doesn't mean that you lose it weekly. Just look at your monthly average.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:36 PM   #8  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Gee. I'm not really one to talk or give advice. But I know that taking a break from meetings may mean taking a break from the scale and that's always dangerous for me.
Would you consider changing meetings, calling WW for a counselor and asking what they suggest? I bet they tell you to shake it up. If you're eating a lot of chicken, eat beef. If you're eating a lot of pasta, try protein. If you're eating a lot of fruit, try veggies for awhile. You get the idea. I really know how the money gets to people, but WW really does work. Pep up your exercise and let us know how you're doing. Best of luck!
Judy
Old 08-06-2003, 12:24 PM   #9  

Hi all! I am encouraged by all of you to stick with WW. I really don't want to gain the weight back and this week is going to be tough-a family wedding on Sat. and a reunion on Sun. So it would be easy to get off and hard to get back on This place is great because of all of you! Thanks!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:31 PM   #10  

Default Oh, GOOD!!

I'm so glad that you're going to stick it out ...it's so hard to come back when we are up even just a tiny bit, but usually it becomes a big bit! ...or big butt in my case! (I know, that's not the plan, but it happens more than not ...just ask the members in your class!).

You're SO close ...YOU'LL DO IT!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 12:01 PM   #11  
CIN

My advices NO NO NO.......keep going and being accountable!
You HAVE what it takes to get there!

I have seen countless people "take some time off" only to return MUCH heavier.It was never their intention either.

I think you already know the right choice!

Cin
Old 08-08-2003, 10:48 AM   #12  

Thanks for your encouraging words, I believe I made the right decision to stick it out. I bought a size 10 pair of jeans yesterday and had to return them for a size 8!!! My co-worker is really wanting me to take a month off with her and I was almost pursuaded-(wasn't that a country song??!!) Any way, she is taking time off and has already gone out to a Mexican restaurant and had a big meal with two jumbo margaritas!!!! My new jeans are my encouragement to stay with WW. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2003, 01:17 AM   #13  
ala

Ideal, I had the same problem but I was 5 pounds from goals. I was stuck there for what seemed like forever (months).

Some things that worked for me: I varied some of the things I was eating. Not the points but just the actual foods. For example, I tended to be fairly boring with cereal and milk in the morning. I changed it around to bread one week, hot cereal another, and back to cold cereal. I did similar things for my lunches (dinners were naturally varied but I tried some new recipes). It really worked and I've kept the habit since I reached goal.

The other thing I did was to plan myself a trip involving a bikini. If ever there was a motivator, seeing myself at goal in a bikini was it. Plus having anyone else see me in a bikini not at goal wasn't OK (I hadn't worn one since I was a teen). Having the fixed date helped that motivation a lot.

I'm glad you decided to stick with the plan. The only way it works is if you do it for life. Good luck.
Closed Thread