Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default food weight question

When I have my orange sherbet dessert (which I absolutely love), when I weigh it, I use the grams in 1 serving, which is 85, equal to 1/2 cup. But 85 grams looks more like a full cup. This is accurate though, right? Cause if not, I've been over-indulging.
texasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #2  

I wouldn't weigh it, I would use the measuring cup.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #3  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi texasma,
That's a bummer! I'd agree with Laststraw because it's better to err on the safe side. Or keep the amount you are used to, after all it's something you love, and see if you can trim something else from your day's menu. Before you do that, here is a suggestion:

Either your scale is out of whack or the nutrition info on the carton is inaccurate. Even melted sherbet shouldn't increase by that much volume.

I'd check the basics...making sure your scale is on a hard flat surface, batteries are fresh (if it uses them), and calibrating it, if applicable.

Also try weighing some other items to see how it compares to their package-stated weight. 84 grams is about 3 oz, so you could, for instance, weigh 3 pieces of individually wrapped string cheese (1oz/each, & unwrapped) Or something similar that you have on hand.

Also consider calling the company--if your scale is accurate, there is a discrepancy. Hope this helps

Last edited by mars735; 01-19-2015 at 08:52 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #4  

Now im wondering if it just looks like more because its frozen. If i melted it down, it might be 1/2 a cup. Im looking around for more info and alot of people are saying that icecream should be weighed for more accuracy.

I just weighed a string cheese. Its 28g which is what the pkg said.

Last edited by texasma; 01-19-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

From everything I've read online, weighing is suppose to be the more accurate way to go for just about everything. Here's one of the articles that sort of explains why weighing is better. Basically it's more consistent.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...ighing_in.html

As an example for your ice cream question - When they say it's a half cup serving.. is it a half cup of ice cream packed into the half cup thing? Is it melted? Is it suppose to be a half cup with all the air goodness that ice cream comes with? Packages usually don't say.. but the weight is gonna stay the same, regardless of what state they measured it in.

Last edited by sunarie; 01-19-2015 at 10:36 PM.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #6  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Weight is more accurate than volume. The sherbert has air whipped into it, making it fluffier when it's frozen.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #7  

Thank you all for your replies. It helped alot :-)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #8  

weight everything to know for certain!
mandykent111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I would calculate the total calories in the sherbet container, then figure out how many servings you get out of that container. Divide total calories by number of servings and you get the calories per serving.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote