Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2015, 08:12 AM   #1  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Default A few thoughts on patience for the new year

Hello folks

It's a time of year when a lot of new people join us, so welcome to all of you.

Since I have been struggling with a partial regain I've been reading back over my old posts from the first time I reached the weight I am at now, 3+ years ago, and refreshing my memory on some of what I learned during that process. This is a long post (mine usually are ) but I wanted to share a theme I encountered over and over again in my old posts: patience.

For those of you staring down the barrel of a large amount of weight to lose - I won't put a number on it here, because whatever you have to lose probably feels like a large amount to you - I want to urge you to be patient with your process and take a long-term view.

By patience I mean a few different things:

* Not giving up because you're "only" losing a pound a week or some other number that seems small to you. I urge you to turn this around. Suppose you gained a pound a week for a year. Imagine yourself waking up on January 1, 2016, weighing 50 pounds more than you do today. Doesn't that seem like an awful lot of weight to put on in a year? It is. And since losing is much, much harder than gaining, it's an even more staggering amount of weight to lose in a year. So don't knock that "only a pound a week."

* Not giving up because you didn't lose any weight some particular week. As much as we want our body weight to march cooperatively downward week after week after week, our bodies don't work like this. There are so many factors that contribute to your body weight on any given day. Exercise, hormones, sickness, medication, even weather can all cause you to retain or release fluids. Food sits undigested in your body. These can cause fluctuations in your weight that can easily mask a couple of weeks' worth of fat loss. When your weight stays the same or even bounces up by a pound or two, trust your plan and give it time. Weight loss progress has to be measured in months, not weeks.

* Not giving up because you went off plan. Weight loss success is about consistency, not perfection. Nearly everyone goes off plan sometimes. I know for sure that I did while I was losing the bulk of my weight. The key is to get back on plan with the very next bite of food - not tomorrow, not Monday, not the first of the month, but right now. Be patient with yourself, as well as your plan. Your body is more forgiving than you think - one day of overeating will not cause all the fat you lost to magically reattach to your body. When you take a longer-term view it becomes easier to put those small slips into perspective.

* Not giving up because it's going to take a year or two years or three years at your current rate of loss. First, think about how quickly the last year has gone by. The older I get, the quicker I find time goes by. A year from now feels like a long time, but a year ago feels like yesterday. The time will pass either way - you may as well spend it losing weight.

Second, you do not have to get all the way to your goal weight to start accruing the benefits of losing weight. It took me three years to lose 120 pounds but I started feeling noticeably better about 40 pounds in, and 75 pounds in I felt like a recharged person - stronger, more energetic, more stamina. You do not have to get all the way to your ultimate goal (whatever that may be) before you start benefiting from the hard work you are doing for yourself.

I am not a patient person by nature, believe me. And yet during the three years it took me to lose 120 pounds, I learned a lot about how to be patient, and it was one of the key attitude adjustment that brought me success.

For those of you who have lost a lot of weight already, how has patience figured into your process? Have you had any surprises about yourself and your ability to be patient?

And for those of you are new, good luck and good strength. You can do this!
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #2  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Very well said! Each day is a brand new day to do it right. Patience is key!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #3  
I Can & I Will!

S/C/G: 400 S / Ticker C / 160 G

Height: 5'7

Thank you for posting this Carter! It's coming at a time I really needed to hear it!
Jesslan Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

Like Like Like! This post should be a pop up for everyone who comes to 3FC! Thank-you
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #5  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

What a lovely post. Patience is something I struggle with deeply. But you are right patience is the key to success for sure.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Amazing stuff. Thank you! I soooo needed this.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Well said Appreciate the time you took to post this. I do the whole "only" a pound a week think. I don't do it intentionally.. I even type it without much thought.. you're right though. It adds up to a lot and it's not really "only" at all.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Very well written post, carter. You really struck on some things that are key to long term success. Dissecting your old posts and evaluating what's been a recurring theme in your journey is a great idea.

When I restarted this last time, I created a weight loss journal. One of the things I've done with it is looked at the pattern my weight loss attempts follow to try to see where exactly the wheels come off the cart. Impatience is at the start of the downward spiral.

At some point the weight loss is going to slow down. Whether it's because I weigh less but I'm eating the same calories or because having some success makes me lax in my accountability, in the past my response has been frustration and impatience rather than a cold, logical look at what I was doing wrong.

When I'm emotional, I don't make good choices. I'd slash my calories, which has the rebound effect of bingeing. Followed closely by exercising for hours to try to undo the damage. Which of course made me ravenously hungry. Which of course led to more bingeing and longer exercise sessions....

Usually this cycle ends with an injury. No exercise and having a vastly expanded appetite, along with large serving of self loathing for failing yet again leads to a complete regain plus 10 extra lbs. A period of time at this new all time high leads to new health problems, one or more of which are scary enough to get me to restart the process. In addiction, they call this hitting rock bottom.

This time, patience has kept me focused on the process more than the outcome. I've created a reasonable diet and exercise plan, and as long as I'm following those faithfully, then I've succeeded. I don't worry what the scale says. I give it at least a month before I make any changes, and if I do make changes, I make sure they're ones I can live with long term.

Thank you for the reminder of this very important concept. I've been treading water a little lately and it helps to hear that treading water beats the heck out of thrashing around in a panic followed by drowning.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #9  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

......yeah.......wish I were as thin as my patience.......
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #10  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Thanks folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMyFeet View Post
......yeah.......wish I were as thin as my patience.......
Can I steal this?? Brilliantly and succinctly stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streudel View Post
When I restarted this last time, I created a weight loss journal. One of the things I've done with it is looked at the pattern my weight loss attempts follow to try to see where exactly the wheels come off the cart. Impatience is at the start of the downward spiral.
This is such an excellent point and you've had some great insights about it. Many of us, especially those of us who have a lot to lose, have had periods of significant weight loss in the past followed by regains. It's incredibly useful to understand what caused those efforts to stop (and eventually reverse) so that you can formulate a plan of approach to navigate through that period this time without getting dashed on the rocks, so to speak. That is a terrific insight and what you have described above sounds like a very sound and thoughtful approach to doing it. Great stuff.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #11  

Height: 5"6

Thank you for this! This is such a valuable lesson and I so needed it today. Thank you!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 164/161.6/115

Height: 5.4

Fantastic advice, really helps to remember these points and focus on the long-game and benefits that come with it.
theonlywayisdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

I just love your post. I am going to print it out to put it in my journal so I can read it when the going gets tough. Thanks!

CeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streudel View Post
Very well written post, carter.
I've been treading water a little lately and it helps to hear that treading water beats the heck out of thrashing around in a panic followed by drowning.
That's a good one. I need to remember that too!
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

I will add too that staying at the same weight is also not a problem. It's better than gaining.

I don't lose 1 lb a week or even 1/2 lb (even on my best weight loss weeks). I have to remember that NOT gaining is also an accomplishment itself. I would like to think of it as "practice" for when I finally reach my maintenance weight... Which I will reach, right?!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote