Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/185.7/160

Height: 5'8

Default IP & Hypothyroidism

A question for others who have been on IP & Rx for hypothyroidism: as you lost weight, did your Rx dosage adjusted? So far I am not noticing an negative side effects that are typical of dosage being too high but I'm curious what others have experienced. TIA

Last edited by stacynak; 12-05-2014 at 08:41 PM.
stacynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #2  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

I have not had any issues so far after losing 45 pounds. I started the thyroid med and IP at the same time. I will check in with my integrative medicine naturopath when I've completed my weight loss.
murrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #3  

I started my current thyroid prescription in March and then started IP August 27th. Since then I've lost 41lbs and don't notice any real negative side effects (i.e. No heart palpitations). The only "new" thing I've encountered is that I'm absolutely ravenous of late....like I haven't eaten in a month. Thank goodness for the unlimited veggies. One of the women at my clinic suggested that my Meds might need adjusted as they might need reduced due to the weight loss....not sure why but before I call the my integrative physician, I thought I'd ask here.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #4  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

My meds were changed about six weeks in. because the first one was not effective for me A few weeks after that, I actually felt hungry, which I had not before while on IP. I assumed the meds were working and kicking in. When I was tested at 12 weeks, the meds were working. So it could just be the meds doing their thing....everyone is so different!!!! Congrats on the 41 # while on both IP and thyroid meds.
murrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #5  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

I actually was able to stop my thyroid med (cytomel though - not synthroid) once on IP. My levels have been in "normal" range since losing 45 lbs...fingers crossed!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #6  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

I'm on synthroid. I was tested halfway thru and at the end and my dose never changed.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #7  
Ideal Protein 5/20/14

S/C/G: 204/195/130

I have hashimotos. I have been on the program for 7 months and haven't had a dosage change. I just had my levels tested and everything looked great.

If you notice symptoms then I would recommend contacting your doctor.

Ideal protein works quite well for those with thyroid issues.
Kristin135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #8  

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. I really appreciate it! I truly feel better than I have in years. The only really change that I have noticed (beyond losing 40+lbs!) is being incredibly hungry recently. I'll be giving my Dr a call just to check in. Thanks all
Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/225/140

Height: 5"4'

Default med change

I am only on my second day but the doctor lowered my meds by 1/3 before I started. She says she will reaccess in 3 months but has found that most of her patients start off better and readjust quite easily.
Snickbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #10  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

For my body, I have seen a relationship between body weight and the amount of thyroxin I need to take. If you lose more than 50 to 75 pounds, I would make sure your TSH (and perhaps free T3 and free T4) levels are checked -- but I imagine if you are under a doctor's supervision, that check happens annually anyway. My dosages have varied from .150 to .233 mg per day depending on my weight, with less thryroxin needed at lighter weights (more at heavier weights). I also have Hashimoto's by the way.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 12-07-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #11  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I have Hashi's, and have not had my synthroid dosage changed either time I did IP (first time, lost 70-odd pounds, this time about 30). What I did notice however is that my stomach was much better behaved - my hypothyroid issues very often center around my gut...constipation, IBS-like symptoms, inflammation, possibly a gluten sensitivity though not an allergy. Being on Phase 1 had a calming effect on my gut both times.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #12  

Low carb diets can be hard on thyroid (which I learned after developing hypo WHILE ON P1).

However, I'm learning there is a strong gluten connection and when the gut is healthy, other parts of us start to heal. My stomach & digestive system feels SO.MUCH.BETTER when I'm gluten-free. I have no allergy or celiac but I can tell there is a sensitivity there. I'm learning to stay away from foods that make me feel less than optimal. I didn't lose all this weight to feel like crap

I do P1 soy-free, gluten-free.
In maintenance, I restrict both but I wouldn't say I'm 100% gluten-free. I feel different when I eat it tho. I have more inflammation, more joint pain, and digestive probs. It is enough to keep me off the Standard American Diet.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/185/135

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone! I did IP over a year ago (100%- no cheats), lost 9 lbs in one week, but quit because of miserable symptoms due to un-dxed hypo. Right now I'm on 75 micrograms of levothyroxine - a HUGE difference.

Last time I was on IP (with untreated hypo) I was so discouraged because I never got the euphoria so many other IPers talked about after getting into keto. While the keto stix said I was definitely in ketoacidosis, I still felt depressed, sluggish, and bone-achingly TIRED.

Now that my thyroid issues are under control, I feel more confident in being able to stay on IP! I'm just wondering if any of you with hypo and Rx can tell me when I can expect to get the "euphoria"...? Did it take longer to get to that point b/c of thyroid issues?
Redonkulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #14  

Redonkulus like many stated above, and yourself, I had low thyroid and was fully diagnosed after 2 months of IP because I did not gain energy or any kind of "euphoria", in fact, I was so hungry and so tired I could barely function, like at 10am I would want to fall asleep on my desk. I am one of those "power through" people and looking back have no idea how I stayed on IP at that time, but I told my doctor/coach and they immediately said "you should not be feeling like that on IP" and I started thyroid, and felt immediately better.
After a few weeks of that I got quite a bit of energy and the hunger subsided. To be honest, I don't think I ever felt "euphoria" per say, and I think even on the thryoid, I had a little more hunger and fatigue than most people have, but hard to say as I can only compare by what people describe. I was also exercising somewhat mildly the whole year I was on IP.
I compensated by adding an extra IP packet or two whenever I felt I needed to through the day - I think I lost a little more slowly but consistently and am now easing into maintenance quite fine. I think the extra needed packet though was more because of the exercise than the thyroid.

I did try upping my thyroid dose a little at one point about 15 lbs from goal as I started to get tired and hungry and depleted again, and it was clearly too much - heart buzzing, etc.... so within a week dropped it back down and have stayed there without changing. I think at that point the depletion feeling was just my body nearing goal and starting to want more calories... but that last month or two was very hard for me, and I had to take extra rest time and cut back commitments. I'm not sure if that happened for anyone else here as they neared goal, I would actually be curious if it did.

But once I got into Phase 3 I was fine again.

p.s. Love your name by the way - I think it's probably my middle name - I have to shake my head sometimes at how redonkulus I can be.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 03-31-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 232.8/See Ticker/175

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism just 2 months ago, The first time we did IP was over 5 years ago and I really hated it and had a hard time feeling better. This time around, I am one week in and feel way better than I did before. I am hoping I can stick to it for a while. I get my thyroid rechecked in 2 months!
asmuir is offline   Reply With Quote