Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Struggled with weight, then found I was diabetic

I have been a long time member of these forums, and struggled and struggled to lose weight. I was told I was pre-diabetic but was not given any information and did not seek any out. Finally, I ended up as diabetic.

Though it seems terrible, the information I learned after being diagnosed as diabetic would be helpful to anyone trying to lose a lot of weight. The main thing I found useful was to read Jenny Ruhl's books about low carb diets and blood sugar.

Obviously, this may be something that is not relevant for you or your body. But if you have a large amount of weight to lose, then you might want to check this out.

Those two Jenny Ruhl books, along with buying a blood glucose meter, have changed my life. Google for Jenny Ruhl and blood sugar and you can find a lot of information. Weight loss was not even my goal -- my goal was to stabilize my blood sugar without medication.

Once I started to stabilize my blood sugars, weight loss has followed naturally. In other words, I noticed how my food and lifestyle habits affected my blood sugars and changed the things that made them high. When I did that, I found that my weight naturally followed. I'm not starving all the time.

I am sharing this information because nobody, nowhere, told me. Not one doctor told me (even a medically supervised weight loss program), and I did not see the information anywhere else.

The blood glucose meters are available for free sometimes from a manufacturer (call your manufacturer, or ask your GP for one) but the strips can be expensive unless you buy a Relion meter and strips from Walmart. Get a good lancet (I recommend a delica with extra fine 33 gauge lancets for women's skin -- available at any big chain drug store -- or for something simpler, go with a Fast-clix). You don't need a prescription, just go buy a meter and strips and a lancing device.
lettingslenderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sorry no one ever told you how to deal with pre-diabetes or diabetes. Sadly, that is not uncommon. And it happens with weight loss all the time. I think part of it is that doctors don't think anyone will listen, so they stop saying it. Personally, I think that is very unprofessional and dangerous.

I'm so glad you found someone that is working for you, and that you are getting your health on track. And congrats on educating yourself - that can be very powerful.

I hope everything continues to go well for you.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #3  

Thank you. One of my sisters was also diagnosed pre-diabetic, and they told her zilch.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm sorry to hear you have this problem but glad you are finally getting some good info. You might find more info and support in this subforum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/

Wishing you the best on your journey to improved health!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #5  

Yes, I am a member of that sub-forum, thank you for the link. My point is that uncontrolled blood sugar may be affecting other folks -- and checking blood sugars may be helpful to anyone who is actually obese, rather than just a little bit chubby.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I totally agree that the education we as a population receive when it comes to diet and nutrition is terrible.

The solution of eat less and move more is just as bad as the myriad of people offering the "5 Secrets of Weight loss" or other such nonsense.

Congrats!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote