General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #1  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Insurance health assessment?!

So, since my DH works for the city, a government job, and all of the Obama, health care mish mosh, the city is all on this kind of make the insurance cheaper, get healthy, yada, yada, blah, blah, and so on.

About 4 weeks ago, we went and filled out all kinds of papers, and had our blood drawn.

The results came in the mail the other day. *deep sigh*

According to "Interactive Health" the company doing all of this, I'm, wait for it, *drum roll*! Underweight! And I don't eat enough vegetables! Really!? I'm 5'5", 140. Maintained this for 3 years and counting, at the current age of 55. And I eat veg by the truck load. From my garden, I have about 220 pints and or quarts of canned veg, that is not going to last us until spring! That does not count the stuff in the freezer from the garden.

Then my DH, who is 6'0" and 170, they told him he was "OBESE!"

These numbers were calculated, based only on height and weight.

I know that we have health, food, diabetes and all kinds of health issues, that run rampant in this country, most could be fixed, by eating a decent range of whole, not processed, foods. But, we do that.

I actually laughed at the reports, I'm under and he's fat?

All of our other numbers were fine.

I know that things need to change, but if we are depending on the "powers that be to fix it", *they have no idea what they are doing*, and we need to do our research and take back our control!

We are, now due to the results, Interactive Health sent back, subject to changing the things they want us to change to keep our health insurance rates down.

That, means they want me to "GAIN" weight! And the Dh to lose. These scenarios, are totally out of context for us.

Where has common sense gone?
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Oh, don't get me started. It sounds to me like whoever prepped your report was too busy texting, surfing Instagram, updating Facebook with whatever they ate for lunch, and read the wrong column off the handy-dandy chart that was dumbed down for a 2nd-grade reading level.

And because it's insurance, you can't ignore it. Leaving you the option of spending several hours on the phone contesting it with more of the same level of idiots, or simply deciding to lie and work around it.

Yes, cynical today.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #3  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

That makes absolutely no sense. Even on the BMI charts, your weight is not anywhere near underweight??? You're right in the middle of healthy for your height!

Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me though. I got denied for life insurance because I was obese, even though the rest of my health was perfect. The whole system is just a mess.

I hope you're able to keep your insurance rates without having to make any unnecessary changes. Maybe get your fat % measured at a local gym and have them send the results to the insurance office so they'll see how very healthy you two are? Goodness gracious.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote