Old 10-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Post Jicama (and other veggie( Ideas

I want to try some new veggies, jicama being one of them. What do you do with them?

I consistently eat turnips, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, zucchini, spinach, lettuce...I feel like I should be a little more adventurous!

Thanks in advance!
BStr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #2  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

I slice it like fries, toss with oil and roast.

Eating it raw - I tossed with lime juice and chili powder or with a little oil, stevia and cinnamon. You can also make jicama slaw or just throw it in salad.

Try roasted fennel or cabbage.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #3  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

If only I could find some....
disgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 232.2/230.6/137

Following, veggies seem to be the one thing I have trouble with. I tend to just roast them all or eat a pickle Jicama fries sound interesting...the last time I had one I didn't really like the raw crunch, but roasted makes everything better!

What about other veggies like bok choy? I wonder if all of these vegetables are good in a stir fry? I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere but these forums are so vast you can't just search "Vegetable recipes" and get less than 12,000 responses
taffetadarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffetadarling View Post
Following, veggies seem to be the one thing I have trouble with. I tend to just roast them all or eat a pickle Jicama fries sound interesting...the last time I had one I didn't really like the raw crunch, but roasted makes everything better!

What about other veggies like bok choy? I wonder if all of these vegetables are good in a stir fry? I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere but these forums are so vast you can't just search "Vegetable recipes" and get less than 12,000 responses
Baby bok choy were a favorite in P1/2 for me - always in a stir fry but added at the very last minute to mainly wilt slightly. Anything with soysauce (in my case Bragg's Aminos), 5 spice powder, & or Frank's Hot sauce (esp. Chili & Lime). I think I had a stirfry for 1 meal every day, lol. But I used to eat that way before the diet... just with much more basmati & brown rice, lol.

Jicama with cinnamon & stevia is kinda like a piece of crunchy apple with cinnamon - if you feel the need for fruit. Also don't forget rhubarb!!! P1 compliant fruit, how can ya not like that?!

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #6  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Baby bok choy were a favorite in P1/2 for me - always in a stir fry but added at the very last minute to mainly wilt slightly. Anything with soysauce (in my case Bragg's Aminos), 5 spice powder, & or Frank's Hot sauce (esp. Chili & Lime). I think I had a stirfry for 1 meal every day, lol. But I used to eat that way before the diet... just with much more basmati & brown rice, lol.

Jicama with cinnamon & stevia is kinda like a piece of crunchy apple with cinnamon - if you feel the need for fruit. Also don't forget rhubarb!!! P1 compliant fruit, how can ya not like that?!

Liana
Ditto Liana's use of bok choy. Frying pan with some EVOO, some garlic powder (be careful to get one that doesn't have other spices mixed in) some chili powder and some ginger powder. Toss in 1/2 c mushrooms and brown, then add 1/2 c red bell pepper finely sliced ( so it looks like more) and then add 1c bok choy leaves and stems (I cut these diagonally so you get a good balance) and turn until lightly wilted.

Seriously yummy. The only drawback to the spices is that you may hold water til the next day because of the sodium content.

Rhubarb is great in the IP jello, btw. Makes a super light lunch on days when you just don't fancy cooking or aren't hungry enough to want a "meal".
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #7  

So the rhubarb counts as part of the veggies for the day? What all do you do with that?

Last night I chopped the turnips up pretty small and made hash browns in a skillet with EVOO, garlic pwdr, ideal salt and pepper....I wanted more!!! Very good!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStr13 View Post
So the rhubarb counts as part of the veggies for the day? What all do you do with that?

Last night I chopped the turnips up pretty small and made hash browns in a skillet with EVOO, garlic pwdr, ideal salt and pepper....I wanted more!!! Very good!
I stew rhubarb and then add plain gelatin & stevia or red Mio. It makes a nice sweet veggie treat, whip it all up with my stick blender & then put in portion control containers

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-30-2014 at 08:04 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStr13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Ditto Liana's use of bok choy. Frying pan with some EVOO, some garlic powder (be careful to get one that doesn't have other spices mixed in) some chili powder and some ginger powder. Toss in 1/2 c mushrooms and brown, then add 1/2 c red bell pepper finely sliced ( so it looks like more) and then add 1c bok choy leaves and stems (I cut these diagonally so you get a good balance) and turn until lightly wilted.

Seriously yummy. The only drawback to the spices is that you may hold water til the next day because of the sodium content.

Rhubarb is great in the IP jello, btw. Makes a super light lunch on days when you just don't fancy cooking or aren't hungry enough to want a "meal".
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post

Liana
You guys are seriously awesome. I'm saving this thread. I'm mostly just roasting broccoli and asparagus and I need new ideas! The turnip hashbrowns sound amazing! Can I do that with rutabaga? Cuz that's all I have
Old 10-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #10  

Can I post links here? I found this in a google search. I loved Caveman Keto when I was on the high fat ketogenic diet (unfortunately high fat = super stalls and lots of mug cakes for me )

It looks amazing, minus all the oil and the cheese. It uses an egg to bind, which is allowed, correct? I really like hash browns in little chunks so I may try that for breakfast this morning I'm also really interested in trying rutabaga mashed potatoes. The cauliflower ones just aren't doing it for me. Too...cauliflower-y?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #11  

What is the rutabage mashed potato recipe?

The turnip hash points were seriously ON POINT, I wanted to ditch the spinach salad and make more!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgal View Post
Stop and Shop carries them! You have to hunt a little bit but they're usually in the same area as cabbage and asian veggies
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #13  

I cook rutabaga in my pressure cooker (only 5 minutes!) or boil them until tender, mash it with a little stevia if needed as some are sweet and some can be a little bitter. I used to use brown sugar and butter! Don't miss the butter at all.

I usually cook up a few and portion it out and freeze it for a quick veggie and since it is a limited veggie I can't eat it all in one week. I love it heated up in a frying pan. I find it shrinks by half once cooked and mashed. 2 cups raw is one cup mashed)

I make rutabaga fries too. Usually I parboil first. Hash browns would work for sure, grate it fine for better cooking.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgal View Post
I found mine at a walmart superstore of all places. A Mexican grocery store would likely have it too.