General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/256/140

Height: 5ft 4

Default Weight loss/losing inches

Hi guys, new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help.

I've decided to start measuring inches rather than weighing myself due to past eating disordered behaviour. I'm about a UK size 16 and I'd like to be around a UK 10 or 12 (that's a US 6 or 8). I'm 5ft 4.

However, I've been noticing recently that the inches haven't really been coming off- and I imagine I have a lot to lose/probably in the early 200s (that's all my spouse would tell me, not an exact number). I've been working my *** off and they said I've already lost around 25lbs apparently. However, I've been at this since mid-August and all I've lost off my bust and waist, respectively, is 1 inch! 1 inch in over 2 months! Am I doing something wrong? I've been pretty strict with my diet, the odd slip here or there. I mostly stay away from white carbs and try and eat more wholegrains, less red meat, more fruit and vegetables. I've been working out 4-5 days a week for 30/40 minutes a time, and doing 1/2 hour of strength training 3 times a week. I've recently starting doing HIIT (just today) to see if that will shed the fat? I need to buy heavier weights as within like 2 weeks the 10lb weights I was using were too light. I've been doing squats, lunges, biceps curls, sit ups, a tricep exercise my spouse showed, and shoulder work outs - as well as a few push ups but they're still really hard for me at the moment as I suppose I have a lot of resistance!

Anyone know where I'm going wrong? I've lost almost 30lbs but only 1 inch from bust and waist? I have A LOT of inches to lose.

My bust measurement is currently 46, my waist is 39 or 40 (can't remember) and my hip measurement is 50 down from 51 (that's around the widest part of my butt). To fit in a UK 12, I need to be around 37-29-39. So about 10 inches needed to be lost from each area. Does anybody know where I'm going wrong? If I'm losing this slowly, I imagine it'll take me years to get down to goal size!

I tried searching for this online and someone said when you are bigger it takes a lot more to lose one inch compared to when you're smaller - 1 inch is a lot less? Is that the reason why then?

Thanks!

Last edited by Violeta; 10-22-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Violeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #2  

First congratulations, 25 pounds and an inch is amazing in a few months!

Sounds like you are on the right track! Keep doing what you are doing and the weight and inches will come off. Just think another few months and 40-50pounds down and a few more inches and you'll start feeling pretty amazing!

I don't know why so few inches. My guess would be weight is coming off everywhere, including places you won't measure, hands, face, feet etc etc as well as where you are measuring.

All I can suggest is keep the water intake up and keep away from processed food/drinks for the most part if you aren't already doing that. But really just keep doing what you are doing.

Remember some of us take a year to lose 25 pounds so you are doing really well! If you are struggling mentally, given the past history of eating disorder the maybe see a therapist to help you with that. Good luck!
Valmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/256/140

Height: 5ft 4

Thanks for your reply.

Just puzzled as to why I lost only one inch in about 50 or 60 days? I mean I guess I just wanted to confirm if the bigger you are the more lbs an inch is, if that makes sense? And it's harder to shed an inch the bigger you are because 1 inch overall is bigger? I suppose it is coming off in all areas and that's why it's only 1 inch off my waist...still...it just surprised me. I have A LOT of inches to lose so it shocked me. I mean, a 41 inch waist? That's a big waist! Only 1 inch?

But thank you for your advice, anyway!
Violeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

To me it sounds like you're doing great!
Yeah, the inches will go away slowly at first.
I'd be careful you don't get obsessive about the number of inches lost. It's just like measuring pounds when you get down to it, and I don't think it's necessarily more healthy to focus on a different number. Why not use a less numeric scale, like how well you're sticking to your plan? Or even your energy levels or something else.

Weight loss is a lifelong process - even once you get to your goal, you're going to be living in a similar way to when you're losing. So why not just stick to the plan and enjoy yourself, and take pictures along the way? Isn't that what life's about?
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote