Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Running without c25k?

I want to start running, can I do it without a c25k app? Why do I have to have someone telling me when to run and when to stop? Like tomorrow I plan to go out for a 30min workout. I plan to walk for 5. Then I want to alternate running for 1 and walking for 2. I'll walk for the last 5.

I want to do that for a week or 2 until it feels easy and then run a little more and walk a little less. I'm going easy.

My worry with a c25k I won't be able to keep up.

Are there any good apps?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

you can absolutely do it without an app. I'm working on my second time through C25K (restarting). I always just followed the workouts and never bought the app. The workouts are on this website.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you are not capable of running short distances this is probably the way to go. You can modify the workouts a bit to your own preference (ie take longer breaks if you need it). You can also do the workouts a few more times than recommended if you feel you need more time.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #3  

So how do you keep track of the time? I imagine that's the biggest reason to use an app, so that you don't have to keep track of the time. Just run until you're told to stop.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I have a little digital kitchen timer that I take with me. You could also use a watch or cell phone timer.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I think as long as your track your progress, and set goals for yourself, you can certainly keep it up without using C25K. However, you may want to use other apps to help you track...I like Map My Ride for cycling because it keeps track of my route, speeds, etc. I believe there is something called Map My Run for running. See what you're capable of and set your own time and distance goals based on what you're already able to do?
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #6  

I use ismoothrun to map my walks and it's amazing. It's also useful for when I cycle. I guess I can just use that.