General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/234/145

Height: 5'4"

Default WOE according to your blood type?

How do any of you feel about the blood type diets? I just read an excerpt of the book Eat Right 4 Your Type ( I'm type O ). Totally made sense to me due to the fact that I have found that the foods "to avoid "list do definitely cause me problems. I have been eliminating certain foods from my diet since getting on track to dropping weight, joining this forum and also had my first colonoscopy in August and was diagnosed with diverticulosis also a little " itis " at the time that I think is now resolved ( hopefully ). Just wanted to get some insight and wondered if others have checked out this WOE?
kmruby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #2  
it's always something

From what I understand, that diet theory has been debunked and should not be taken seriously. Any of the diet plans in the book will work if you stick with them, since they are still based on eating less. It just doesn't matter which one you choose. However, that doesn't mean that it's healthy. Several reputable sources have recommended against it. Here's one snippet of interest..

http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=214387
Quote:
What Does the Research Say?

The theory that our blood type determines what we should eat or what kind of exercise we should do is not supported by scientific evidence.

Are There Any Concerns With This Diet?

The type A and O diets are extremely restricting, eliminating whole groups of food. Doing this is an easy way to cut down on calories and is, therefore, likely to lead to some initial weight loss. But in addition to eliminating calories, you are also eliminating vitamins, minerals, and other vital nutrients.

In fact, Dr. D’Adamo recommends specific supplements for each blood type to make sure you meet all your nutrient needs. The problem is—while supplements can sometimes provide a little extra nutritional insurance, they should not be used as a substitute for a well balanced diet . Moreover, Dr. D’Adamo encourages dieters to buy from his own line of supplements, specifically created to go with his diet plans.

Bottom Line

Although the blood type diet sounds novel and intriguing, it is not recommended. In addition to not being based on solid science, this diet severely restricts the food you can eat. This makes it tough to meet nutrient needs and difficult to follow in the long-term. If you are looking to lose weight, choose a sensible diet plan that is supported by scientific evidence and matches your personality and lifestyle.
Congrats on having the courage to have a colonoscopy done! A lot of people will do anything to avoid them. Diverticulitis/osis can pose certain problems, but it can also be easy to deal with once you pinpoint what you can't eat. I hope it goes well for you!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 253/234/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Suzanne for the update on it from NYU and regarding getting a colonoscopy. It is so important for people to get colon screening, I did as soon as I could because of family hx colon cancer. I am having a hard time finding my comfort zone I guess as far as dieting and personally believe that anything can be tried in moderation, obviously not drastic measures to determine if it can help their health and weight loss efforts. I am not one to totally eliminate food groups and try other crazy type measures in order to lose weight anyway.

Last edited by kmruby1; 10-05-2014 at 02:54 PM.
kmruby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Actually I am type O blood type too and the advice for Os seem common sense. The foods they say to avoid are the ones I know cause me difficulty. Unfortunately I am super carb sensative and the foods recommended for O type are ones that don't contain many carbs. on carbs.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote