Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Kid-friendly cardio music?

I work at the local YMCA, and one of the new classes we're offering this fall is a Saturday-morning exercise class for moms and their kids. The age range is 10 and under. The only problem we're facing at the moment is that the only kids' music we possess right now is the stuff we use for our little kids' programs, so Disney and stuff like that. But we want something that will not only appeal to the kids, but the moms, too -- so that they don't have to deal with an hour of music that will make them want to rip out their own eardrums (I suppose there's only so many times you can hear "Let It Go" before you lose it entirely, am I right?)

So I turn to you, 3FCers! I know there have to be some parents in here, and so I ask you: if you were going to be taking a fitness class with your kids (aged 10 or under) what kind of music would you want to hear? What do you think would work for both adults *and* kids? (I have a feeling the class is mostly going to be moms with babies, because, let's face it....not too many 10-year-olds want to spend Saturdays at the gym with their moms. *L*)

Any ideas? (And of course, it goes without saying that they have to be language-appropriate too. So no Eminem! Haha.)
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Have you thought of checking out the Kidz Bop compilation albums. They're like kiddie/teen covers of top 40 radio music. No bad languague and I believe they change the lyrics a bit sometimes to make them even more kid-appropriate. So at least the mom's recognize the songs from radio as do the kids but it's performed by kids and it's language-appropriate. They do 2 compilation albums a year and I think they have some themed ones as well for Halloween etc.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #3  
Up and at 'em...again!

I have checked out the Kidz Bop compilations, and they're almost *too* kiddie-ish, you know what I mean? We have a feeling that this class, although set up for moms and their kids under 10, is probably going to end up being a bunch of moms with their babies/toddlers.

I ended up going with a mix of modern, "safe for work" music and some classic rock as well. Stuff like "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley, "Octopus' Garden" and "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen, "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen, "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction....a few others. Stuff that would be appropriate and "safe" for kids but wouldn't make the moms' ears bleed (like having to listen to "Let It Go" for the gazillionth time, hahaha.)
Old 09-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #4  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
I work at the local YMCA, and one of the new classes we're offering this fall is a Saturday-morning exercise class for moms and their kids. The age range is 10 and under. The only problem we're facing at the moment is that the only kids' music we possess right now is the stuff we use for our little kids' programs, so Disney and stuff like that. But we want something that will not only appeal to the kids, but the moms, too -- so that they don't have to deal with an hour of music that will make them want to rip out their own eardrums (I suppose there's only so many times you can hear "Let It Go" before you lose it entirely, am I right?)

So I turn to you, 3FCers! I know there have to be some parents in here, and so I ask you: if you were going to be taking a fitness class with your kids (aged 10 or under) what kind of music would you want to hear? What do you think would work for both adults *and* kids? (I have a feeling the class is mostly going to be moms with babies, because, let's face it....not too many 10-year-olds want to spend Saturdays at the gym with their moms. *L*)

Any ideas? (And of course, it goes without saying that they have to be language-appropriate too. So no Eminem! Haha.)
I had to chuckle at that part above because my younger son has been DYING to go to the gym with me for years and you can't go until you are 10....He's counting the time until he turns 10 and can officially go with me. He's 8 right now and really wants to be a grown up lol.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #5  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
I had to chuckle at that part above because my younger son has been DYING to go to the gym with me for years and you can't go until you are 10....He's counting the time until he turns 10 and can officially go with me. He's 8 right now and really wants to be a grown up lol.
Holy crap, really? Around here most 10-year-olds don't want to be caught dead with their moms. It's sad, really. I will seriously be shocked if any moms show up with any kids over the age of, say, 4.