Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default My scale needs to be fired!

So, I bought a brand new glass digital scale a few month back. The issue I continue to have is that the scale ALWAYS reads a different number when I weigh myself. It's like it has multiple personalities! I've put a 5kg weight on it to measure its accurate ness. And BAM! It says 5 kg. no matter where I have the scale placed "here" on the bathroom floor or "here" on the bathroom floor or even "here" on the kitchen floor. Put the weight back on here, here and here? And the scale says 5 kg. grrrrr!!!!!!! I step on it and it says 197 here, 201 here 203 here 198 there. You get the drift. I'm considering throwing the flippin thin out. But this wasn't a cheap scale. What if I get another "reputable"one and it does the same thing. Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited by cheddahcat; 09-10-2014 at 07:51 AM.
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think it might have to do with how you're standing on the scale....if I lean a certain way on my scale, it will change the numbers. Try to stand without leaning forward or back even in the slightest bit. Maybe you can use photos and measurements along with the scale. That has got to be super frustrating. Is there any way you can exchange it for another scale?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #3  

No on returning it. I don't have the receipt anymore. And yes it's so frustrating. I don't actually know my accurate weight. At one point it said I was 81 kg. dang, I know I've been good but not THAT good lol. I may buy a new one. And I may try to sneak in it before I do. The scale was $50. Not cheap but not all out either.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #4  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I know if I stand with my weight towards the back half of my scale it gives me a lighter weight... I just try to center myself and hope for the best!
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #5  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

I have a glass scale, too, wonder if it's the same brand? Although to give mine credit, it's consistent. I have nowhere in my bathroom to leave it so I have to put it in the linen cabinet after I use it, which for my scale means it has to be recalibrated every time I pull it out. On the plus side it doesn't get exposed to the humidity of the bathroom. I can get about a 1 lb. variation depending on how I stand on the scale, so I try to be consistent in that, as well.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW194/CW144/GW140

Height: 5.10

First, try replacing battery that helped mine when it start acting same. Second, everyone else is right. Try to place your feet in exact same position everytime.
hiddenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #7  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

If you live with someone have someone read the number while your standing on the scale, Thats what I do at home
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

This has happened to me before, also with a glass scale that I purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Extremely frustrating!! I don't know what to tell you other than don't rely heavily on the scale results. Otherwise, you'll go insane.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #9  

I found this review of my scale.......
I think he has MY scale!

paulo paulo - Full review provided by Argos
Wildly inaccurate - 9 Jun 2014
Translate
If you want to lose 4kgs over night and gain 2 kgs the next day, then these are the scales for you. They are wildly inaccurate and can vary by 3 to 4 kgs depending on where on the floor you place the scale. Never owed scales like this before. I think I know my weight. Just stand on these scales 4 or 5 times and work out an average!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Just tell the scale you need to downsize. I'm sure it'll understand.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #11  

freelancemomma.....hahaha I tried, doesn't listen
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNew Me View Post
I have a glass scale, too, wonder if it's the same brand? Although to give mine credit, it's consistent. I have nowhere in my bathroom to leave it so I have to put it in the linen cabinet after I use it, which for my scale means it has to be recalibrated every time I pull it out. On the plus side it doesn't get exposed to the humidity of the bathroom. I can get about a 1 lb. variation depending on how I stand on the scale, so I try to be consistent in that, as well.
Uh oh what happens when it's exposed to the humidity?? Mine is right next to hubby's shower....And I've been having issues with it for so long that I actually didn't use it for a long time.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #13  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
Uh oh what happens when it's exposed to the humidity?? Mine is right next to hubby's shower....And I've been having issues with it for so long that I actually didn't use it for a long time.
Whether they're spring or electronic frequent exposure to a lot of humidity can cause them to go wonky. The spring type will rust and the electronic ones ... well, electronics + water = bad.

I wouldn't keep/store a digital scale anywhere I wouldn't keep any other piece of electronic equipment. My husband the facility engineer has taught me to assume if something isn't clearly marked "Water Resistant" it isn't and shouldn't be stored in a high humidity environment.

Full disclosure, in the past 10+ years I've bought no less than four scales. The last one I got is the ONLY one that has worked reliably, and still works consistently. I got the best rated, highest reviewed scale on Amazon. I treat this thing like it's a Faberge Egg.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

I went through digital scale problems myself, now I am back to an ancient analog scale that I still have even after 18 years and two marriages I just shift my weight around on the scale a bit (and the reading does change by several lbs either way) then guess where the middle of the range and choose that.

I think it's pretty accurate as I have weighed myself then went to the gym where they have a doctor's balance type scale, they agree pretty closely.

I won't be able to track small changes but I think I'm over that now.

Last edited by superfluous; 09-11-2014 at 01:49 AM.
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #15  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I wonder if it's the same one we got, same issues! DH contacted them and they are supposed to be sending us a new one! Very Frustrating indeed!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote