Old 09-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #1  

Default Do alternatives have the same bioavailability?

Does anyone know the answer to this? I've used alternatives in the last and lost fine. But my question is, is the bioavailability the same between products like wonderslim and Nashua nutrition and Ideal Protein?
allnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #2  

allnewme:
IP isn't some magically more bio available than its alternative counterparts.

IP coaches will tell you a lot of stuff but you really do need to know what is true and what isn't and why.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #3  

Thanks for the responses although I am kind of confused by them as well. I am asking because IP products have a protein score of 100; the protein is as bioavailable as that of egg whites. All protein products can be scored and compared using that scale.

Nowhere have I seen protein scores for alternative products, although many time the ingredients and stats are very close. This could mean they don't compare. It could mean the question hasn't been asked before by the diet community. I suppose I could contact the companies and ask.

In theory I could sub egg whites for the packets, but the taste, variety, and nutritional composition wouldn't be the same. I am not under the impression that the packets are better than real food, but they do serve a purpose.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Don't believe the hype.

Whey is whey.

Great article on protein and digestion.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnewme View Post
Thanks for the responses although I am kind of confused by them as well. I am asking because IP products have a protein score of 100; the protein is as bioavailable as that of egg whites. All protein products can be scored and compared using that scale.

Nowhere have I seen protein scores for alternative products, although many time the ingredients and stats are very close. This could mean they don't compare. It could mean the question hasn't been asked before by the diet community. I suppose I could contact the companies and ask.

In theory I could sub egg whites for the packets, but the taste, variety, and nutritional composition wouldn't be the same. I am not under the impression that the packets are better than real food, but they do serve a purpose.
Was it you clinic that told you the "score was 100"?
Sounds like a "sell job" to me!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Don't believe the hype.

Whey is whey.

Great article on protein and digestion.
John: I believe that link needs fixing
Old 09-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #7  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

allnewme - There is nothing magical in the IP packets. They are formulated to work with the IP protocol and do a great job of that. From what I have learned, well researched alternatives give you just as much nutrition and work just as well on the IP protocol. Fortunately (and you probably know this since you've used alternatives) a lot of people have spent a great deal of time figuring out what alternatives work best with this diet.

Everyone is different and some people do great on IP products and others have problems digesting them - it's a pretty individual process and you have to find what makes you feel best and healthiest.

That doesn't really answer your question, but I don't know of any literature out there specifically addressing that issue (and I looked, but could have missed it).
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #8  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

Here is that link:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...stibility.html
nat1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1015 View Post
That is it! Thank you.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #10  

Thank you, that's just the sort of thing I was looking for. Very helpful!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #11  

I'm glad this question was asked as I too was told the IP were more bio available, and I'm doing alternatives, so glad it's not true.
Adventuregurl is offline   Reply With Quote