PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #1  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Question Paleo Diet when TTC with PCOS?

Hello,

I'm an "Old Member" but I am currently working very hard on my WL. I've lost 68 lbs so far! Which is awesome, it's great, but I still need to lose another 30 lbs to reach my 1st goal. Then another 50 after that. But I hit a wall after losing 64 lbs so I did the Bariactric Diet with my DH, who just had WLS. That broke through the "Plateau" wall, so if anything I know I can return to that. But I wanted to ask my fellow "Cysters" and see what they thought.

But getting back to the Paleo Diet. It basically puts your body into Ketosis, which for WL is great, but it says for Fertility it is not, which is a BIG reason why I was going to try it. Here is what I read and at the end is the link.
Here is a copy of what I read: If you’re trying to increase your fertility or if you’re currently pregnant, ketosis can actually be counterproductive. Fertility is greatest when the body feels well-nourished (which makes perfect sense: evolutionary, conceiving a child during a time of food scarcity could be very dangerous), so a very low carbohydrate diet that imitates starvation is not ideal for conception. Similarly, the healthiest nutritional state during pregnancy is being consistently well-nourished; ketosis can be dangerous for both mother and baby.
http://paleoleap.com/paleo-guide-to-ketosis/

Thank You!!!!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I follow a Paleo diet, and no, Paleo is not -- and doesn't have to be -- a low-carb diet.

What Paleo argues is that you should be getting your carbohydrates from nuts, fruits and vegetables, including tubers which are very carbohydrate-rich, rather than from wheat, dairy, or sugar-based products.

The recommended amount for fertility is 100 g of carbs a day, which you can easily get from eating fruits and vegetables. Remember, you can have sweet potatoes, yucca (cassava), plantains, as well as supplementing with fruits if you're still under 100 g.

One of the things that I had to learn from following the Paleo community is that there are those who think it's only LOW CARB and to really look for the community that makes better sense. Paleoforwomen.com is a site that has information geared towards women and the owner of the blog writes on PCOS issues, thyroid issues, and other reasons why women's hormones may be off.

Good luck!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #3  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hi Rana,

Thanks for the info! I'll check out the website!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #4  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Like Rana said Paleo doesn't have to be low carb. For example sweet potatoes (which aren't allowed on low carb diets)are allowed on a paleo diet. They are full of carbs and fibre. And you don't have to go Paleo 100%. A lot of my friends go about 70-80% Paleo.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote