Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #1  

Default Trying to get back on the wagon.....

Hello - My name is Aileen, Im 35 years old and I've always been in the 200's as long as I can remember. This ranges from the low 200's to the high 200's. I currently work full time (and am aggressive in my career), a single mother of a 10 year old, and a new homeowner.

Last in Jan/Feb (2013) was the first time in my life that I committed to a healthy lifestyle; I had a flexible schedule (workouts being done at lunch time and sometimes at home), a workout buddy, and fully committed. In 2 months I lost 30 lbs (mostly water weight) and felt great. I was down to 225!

Then I got a new job, I am now in a position with no flexibility and have to be concerned with "billable hours" so I spend 10+ hours at a desk, not to mention drive time, and then when I do get home its time for homework and everything else around the house that gets neglected during the workweek. Plus at my new job they feed you CONSTANTLY with expensive food (steaks, fajitas, chicken, sandwiches, bagels, bakery goods, unlimited pop and water, etc).

With no time, the stress of the new job, all this food, no workout buddy (she worked with me at my old job) I just stopped working out and eating right. It is now over a year later and last month I was at 247 and one month later I am at 260!!!

I am devastated with these numbers and although I have learned to not eat everything they put in front of me and have been eating vegetables as snacks and watching my calories during the day I still gained 13 lbs in one month! I do have a problem with eating after work but I can assure you that I did not eat enough calories to justify 13 lbs in one month. So now though only fault of my own my weight is out of control and ballooning exponentially I am ready to do something (again). Even though I am watching my calorie intake now for a short period of time (couple of weeks) it seems like there is just endless bloating and like my metabolism has slowed to where anything I eat no matter what is only sticking to me.

Not sure where to start but this seemed like a good place I know I need to incorporate exercise into my schedule, stay motivated, and watch what I eat. Easier said than done it seems. So hello and hopefully a year from now I will have a different more positive post and can reflect back to this one and see how far I have come. Thanks!
MzLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

MzLean, you definately have a lot on your plate, no pun intended. LOL Your job is a necessity and your life as a single mother and a new homeowner can add to your stress and limit your time for exercise. But it sounds like exercise is an important part of your weight loss journey, so it would be best to find a way to fit it in. Maybe not formal exercise, but moving more. Things like parking farther from your destination, using the stairs instead of escalators or elevators. It all adds up. In a way, you are fortunate that there is food available at work...it will save in your pocketbook. It is up to you to control what you eat. Look for the best choices. Avoid the carbs when you can, and if need be, bring vegetables from home to make sure you're eating them. Drink lots of water. I know you can do this! Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #3  

Thanks! Im trying to get started. That is a good way to put it; I AM fortunate to have the food options at work. I just looked at the scale (not sure how it happened and so quick over the last month) and felt like WOW how am I EVER going to do this. But I can do it somehow!! Thanks for the response.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

second that you avoid the carbs as much as possible. Try some of the chair exercises that are online, you can do some of them while you are getting those billable hours. Take short walks around the office during the day or before homework, you and your daughter go for a short walk - she will likely do better at her homework, you will get some fun together time and you both will get some exercise. While doing those household jobs include squats and stretches.

In the end it comes down to better choices for food though. You've got this!
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #5  

Thanks!! The chair exercises sound like a good idea. Hopefully the little stuff will add it. It always seems to maintain my weight; which will be better than what I have been doing. Thanks again!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

MzLeen -It sounds like you might be a fellow attorney? I have a standing desk, and I love it. I can actually sit or stand at it, but I stand most of the day. I also do little things, like walk to the recycling box instead of using the one under my desk.

Really, though, it's the nutrition that makes the most difference. I have been doing this (again) about two months now, and have tried many ways to cut calories. For a while, I was doing intermittent fasting, and I kind of liked that it eliminated choices for me. I just didn't eat anything while I was at work. Currently, I am eating a very limited menu at work, and only very low calorie stuff. Mostly green, leafy veggies with a bit of fruit, so I go home with most of my calorie budget intact.

You can do this, though. Just keep working at it until you find something that works for you. And, honestly, if you're anything like me, you are probably fooling yourself that you were restricting calories in the month you gained 13 pounds. Even though you were eating veggies as snacks, you probably made up for the saved calories elsewhere, probably unintentionally. Unless I am acutely aware of what I am eating, I know my calories tend to be much, much higher than I think they are. I say this to give you hope that, which it will definitely be tough, it's something you can definitely do.

A demanding career and single motherhood, huh? I hope you are giving yourself credit for all that you do. It's a very difficult road, and you are successfully navigating it!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote