Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/167/110

Height: 5'0"

Default Need short people! 5'0" female 167 pounds

Anyone else out there with "short" issues? I like being short, just not short and round. I have lost weight in the past and always end up with this issue: "You can't lose THAT much weight - there won't be anything left". People don't understand that 110 pounds is not a skeleton on a 5'0" small frame female... But it starts messing with my head and I start justifying eating more and getting lazy with the fact that people say I'm losing too much weight. So here I sit back at 167 pounds, which to a normal height female probably doesn't even seem that bad. But on MY frame, it is killing me. My back hurts, my feet hurt, I can't hardly bend over all the way, my lungs are SO out of shape, and I have very low self-esteem because being in shape is important to me. I would really like to hear from some vertically-challenged women for support during the next few months. Yes, my goal IS 110 pounds.....
jeremiah 29 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #2  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

110 lbs is totally fine. Just don't go below 97lbs and you're in healthy range.
My goal right now is 120 lbs, just 5lbs below the "overweight" BMI (to give myself a cushion). Once I reach this goal, I may adjust to 110 depending on what my doctor says, how I feel, how I look. Currently, just want to be healthy. =) We're the same height as well.

If people get you down, don't tell them. I will tell people I want to lose weight, but what my current weight or current goal is none of their business. Some people I won't tell. I went to a restaurant and it was easy to not let anyone know. I just went to the bathroom and looked at calories for their menu super fast and logged it. Came out, drank water only, and ordered my meal. I divided it into two before eating and only ate half. I acted excited about it, "stuffed" when I got through half of it, and when dessert came around I asked to "share" with my friend. I ate one bite and let her finish it off. No one there questioned my choices, commented, or said ANYTHING. I didn't need to tell everyone there, I stuck to my food plan and goal, and I enjoyed it (the bite of pie was yummy).

I tell only those I know will inspire me. My fiance is happy for me, he cooks for me when he knows I'm busy and will tell me the ingredients and sometimes all ready knows the calories. He works out with me, motivates me, and tells me I'm sexy all the time. Couldn't ask for more. My sister is competing with me on my fitness pal and fitbit. We both try to out do each other with days logged in, pounds lost, steps taken, work outs completed and most days inside our ranges.

Other people don't need to know what I'm doing. They can just one day look over and ask "have you lost weight?" As long as my ribs aren't showing, I"m sure no one will be "concerned".

Honestly, 110lbs is smack in the middle of health for people our height. It also sucks we get less calories, XD But I guess it's more reason to work out and tone our muscles and create muscle mass to make up for the less eating.

Last edited by kurisitaru; 08-12-2014 at 02:33 PM.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I'm 5 feet too - I'll tell you that my skinniest time in my life was in college at 112lbs. I wore a size 12 in children's clothes.

I'm hoping to get to 115...if I could ever get to 110, I'd be SHOCKED.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #4  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

I think a lot of things factor in as well. I had a friend about half an inch taller than me who weighed 105lbs. She looked healthy, no ribs, no problems. But she was also petite in every way, small boobs, small tiny bum, tiny bone structure. She was healthy and happy though.

I'd be pretty shocked if I hit 110 to be honest (part of why 120 is my goal). I have very big breasts, I work on muscle (always have) and I have a rod in my back that adds weight actually (unique circumstance) so actually my 120, is a 117 less the rod. XD

Last edited by kurisitaru; 08-12-2014 at 04:20 PM.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm the opposite of what you asked for but I have two things to tell you.

#1) People are going to tell you all kinds of things that aren't correct because they don't know any better. Educate yourself.

#2) Your physical symptoms will rapidly diminish when you start a quality diet and exercise program. Just don't over do the exercise - start light and build up from there.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

You're getting a lot of good advice, Jeremiah 2911. I particularly like John's succinct points.

As part of the 5' foot society I come at this a bit differently. Currently I'm at 186 pounds, but two years ago after instilling a solid and healthy eating and exercise program I got down to 143. I felt and looked fantastic! Keep in mind I started at a hefty 220 pounds. My low of 143 was still overweight by all the charts and graphs, but my numbers were all well within healthy range, I was running 3-6 miles every other day, lifting on alternate days, taking kickboxing classes and had completed several 5 and 10ks without walking.

Of course I could have lost more weight, and as you can see by my current stats, I fell off the wagon. However, I knew that I was getting to the point where weight loss was becoming an obsession. I thought about food all the time, mostly in the form of meal planning. Exercise, how much, what kind, also took up a lot of real estate in my mind.

I've learned a lot in the span of my regain. My goal is to get back to that original 143. It may take longer, but that's okay. I feel differently as I make my way back down the scale for yet another time. I also think my mindset is stronger and more reasonable. Will I or could I go lower than 143? I would love to, but I'll see. If it means I'm exhausting myself keeping up with diet and exercise regimes, then no.

Again, I can't emphasize enough that this is my experience. You know your body better than anyone. As long as your plan is a healthy and sane one, I see no reason why 110 shouldn't be your goal. Good luck!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #7  
Warrior Princess

People just should not comment about another person's weight unless they're specifically asked.. Fat or thin, it's none of their business.

Do your thing and ignore them.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #8  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I am not short, but I wanted to chime in and say I feel your pain! My weight goal was decided by me and my doctors. Actually the docs recommended 138 at first. When I vetoed that as sounding pretty much impossible "to me" we agreed I would aim for 140 something. Still I am forever hearing from people that it's too little for my height. But I have an extra small frame despite my height and it's a totally reasonable number for me.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #9  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I just say now, I'm just trying to lose a couple pounds, or I'm trying to stay healthy as I get older, I've been right where you are, many people have no concept of healthy or normal weights, especially in our society where so few are at a normal or healthy weight.

Keep working at it, you'll get there, just do it for you, nobody else.

Best of luck to you

Last edited by kelijpa; 08-12-2014 at 09:22 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Amazing how every body is different. I'm 5ft even and anything below 128 I would not be able to maintain. I'm a size 2/3 at that weight.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #11  

Thank you for all the encouragement. A couple years ago I even had one (very rotund) woman tell me that I was going to start looking all shriveled up if I didn't stop losing weight. I was about 130 at that point. I think jealousy may be part of THAT one. But anyway, I am going to need all the strength I can muster up to succeed once again, and then even more than that to actually maintain this time. I hope to remain active on this board for support. I'm married to a skinny man who loves me more than life itself no matter my weight and supports every single attempt I make. I'm thankful for that, but sometimes you just need to talk to someone that's been there.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah 29 11 View Post
... I have lost weight in the past and always end up with this issue: "You can't lose THAT much weight - there won't be anything left". People don't understand that 110 pounds is not a skeleton on a 5'0" small frame female... But it starts messing with my head and I start justifying eating more and getting lazy with the fact that people say I'm losing too much weight. So here I sit back at 167....
I would say that all of this is influencing a part of you that doesn't really want to change. What we put in our mouths is nobody else's business and nobody else's fault. When you share with people very private things such as the details of how many pounds it may seem like its harmless but in truth it brings out everyone's self perceived weightloss expertise. If you're looking for support then go to someone who will listen and not intervene like your husband or a therapist or someone like that.

I have a lot of friends who are constantly making random announcements about new diets and goals. It's all well and good but I try not to get involved in their conversations. I just listen and nod and ask a few questions to show I am interested but I keep my opinions to myself. Most of these plans never seem to work out anyway and I'll be darned if I want somebody blaming me for it. It is best to just keep these things to yourself, why do we as women think it's acceptable to talk our diets and weight goals to anyone? And why do we get so affected by their response? Treat it as personal or private. Nobody care how you eat unless you ask them their opinion about it. So don't.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I am 5'2" - a giant! I weighed 110 for many years just naturally. I was on the thin side, but not pathalogically thin. I lost weight down to about 97 after two pregnancies. That was too thin. I would think that 110 is about perfect for you.

I am of an age where super thinness was not popular. I hated being thin, and having super curly hair and being left handed etc etc. Can you imagine?
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #14  

Wannabeskinny - Thank you for saying what needed to be said. I really had never thought about it like that before. It IS a personal battle and I do have my husband to support me and that's all I need. And this board.....
Old 08-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #15  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I am not a short person per se, but I do know a lot of women much shorter than me.

One woman I know is only 4'9", and she weighs around 88-92 lbs. Most people hear that and are scandalized. But that's within the healthy range for her height. She's not underweight at all, she she looks very healthy (she's also very fit and has a tiny frame).

Also, though I'm average height, I also got the "OMG, don't lose any more weight!!!" speech from people. They didn't even know what my goal weight was and they still freaked out about it.

That actually really threw me WAY off (I'm still shocked at how much it derailed me), and was the beginning of my regain. So take it from me, don't let them get to you on that! Ignore them, or explain that it is a very healthy weight for you and that your doctor approves of it. Just do what you need to do for you, and don't let them derail you.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 08-14-2014 at 02:02 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote