Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:58 AM   #1  

Default Completely lost

Hi all..I am new and in need of some advice. I have been struggling with losing weight for a while, but I had been on a good decrease until January when my world came crashing to a halt. First, I decided to look at birth control options due to having a tumor on my uterus and still wanting to have children, this appointment was on a Wednesday I was given booklets and pamphlets to decide, but his top choice was an implant in my arm, my choice was pills. The that Sunday I had a grandmal seizure at work lasting 5 minutes. We all thought it was stress as I had them when I was younger. Then next Monday another, that Wednesday another, and by that Friday I am officially diagnosed with epilepsy. The medicine I was put on contraindicates with hormones so my options for my gynecologist changed to an iud, depo (which had to be done monthly due to the way the medicine metabolized the hormones), or a hysterectomy. I chose the depo against my better judgement and did three shots until I just couldn't stand it anymore. The side effects were awful and I was taking it monthly. I haven't taken it since April. Since I started the depo in feb. I started gaining badly and now I can't seem to lose no matter what I do. I am also having constant tom since April but my doctor refuses to see me until that continues for 6 months. So, I'm always retaining fluid as well. I tried to do low carb, but I cannot go as low carb/high fat due to no gall bladder. Weight watchers has always worked in the past, but now nothing is working while this TOM is going on and I can't get help for 2 more months. I just feel so lost. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks
Rebeccawvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

I was on depo shot for birth control when I was 29. Stayed on them for 6 months. Had a two year old at the time and was running myself ragged. I had an AWFUL. experience with depo. I urge you to reconsider it. What an awful drug. Not to scare you but just to give you the story..... I started break through bleeding for couple of months and continued receiving the shots. By month 5 I just about collapsed. Had terrible cramps and full on bleeding. Three days later I was diagnosed the begnign ovarian tumor. Went into surgery on emergency and it weighed 6 pounds!! I dropped weight like mad but in the beginning of the depo series I gained quicker than I could eat. Now 13 yrs later I am post menopause for 12 yrs. I was surgically forced into menopause immed after removing overies. Both overies were dead/ absorbing and I believe if I never went on depo I would be fertile to this day. I am so grateful for my teenage son, I I always wanted 2 children. I'm on hormone replacement therapy now. It's like my reproductive insides are geriatric. Please, reconsider. I wasn't given all the info and thought I was making the right decision too!! Good luck and take care
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #3  

I stopped taking the shot in April, but have been having all the problems I listed since. The doctor stated he won't help me until I have been having issues for 6 months after the last shot
Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Can you see a different doctor in a different practice? Like a second opinion. I wouldn't wait months if you are concerned and clearly there is something wrong for you to worry. Only you know your body and doctors make mistakes. They aren't god. Trust yourself and see someone else
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I vote for a second doctor if you can get a second doctor. I have never had depo, but I've heard horror stories, especially for women who have hormone problems. I'm not sure depo is the best option if that's what you're trying to fix.

I have PCOS, so I have to manage my hormones as well, and I have found the IUD to be the best BCP option. I manage my hormones through exercise, diet, and supplements (which my doctors know I am taking).
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #6  

Thank you ladies for your advice. I really don't want to wait until October so I think I will be getting a second opinion. I just want feel so hopeless now because I've been trying to lose this weight I've gained since I started the depo
Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Rebeccawvu, what on earth made you choose that over the IUD? The IUD is, IMO (worth what you paid for it of course haha), the least horrible form of birth control out there. The caveats are there of course, but given the issues with pills/shots the IUD is the bunny in the tiger cage, again JMO. It's the closest thing we have to a "localized" hormone. Depo can mess with you for a long time. I have never used it because I have watched 4 of my girlfriends go through absolute H*ll on that drug. Each one took about 12 months of crazy cycles and weight issues and mood issues to recover after their last shot. So hang in there, the Depo apparently doesn't clear out nearly so fast as you might want. You also got 3x the normal dose because of the "shot every month" thing. I can't imagine what your poor body is going through trying to deal with that chemical flooding your system.
You also started seizure meds, right? Which many are known for weight gain. It doesn't mean you can't still lose weight though. But I think you're going to have be content to work on maintaining what you have now maybe, just for a bit, until the Depo thing resolves itself?

Don't lose heart Right now you must be under so much stress with the seizures and the crazy hormones. Try not to add any more unnecessary pressure on yourself. Right now I would think if it were me, my focus would be on eating healthy and portion controlled foods without looking at the scale. Your body is probably desperately in need of clean, healthy foods right now given all the stress. I hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by MauiKai; 08-03-2014 at 09:42 AM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #8  

I didn't choose the iud because my Gyno told me the likelihood of me getting pregnant for the first time after taking it out would be very slim with the epilepsy and fibroid on my uterus.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #9  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I don't know if there is anything true to that or not, but you have to go with what the doc says. I've never heard such a thing though, and have always been told that after the IUD is removed you can be fertile right away.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

I have a few friends who could only adjust do iud and they love it. Maybe you can reconsider this option?

As to losing weight, i don't think you should go low carb if you have no gall bladder. My cousin tried this and she also doesn't have her gall bladder anymore. Some people manage to do this, but she felt sick all the time. Calorie counting, intuitive eating or just eating healthier in general might be good options for you.

I also have a few health conditions that make it harder for me to lose weight and eat certain types of food, but as long as you have good doctors you will find a way that works for you.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #11  

Thank you all for your answers

Marina that's what I was looking for. I have been struggling so much with low carb and I am hungry all the time and sick frequently from high fat, but I just didn't know what I should be doing. Thank you