South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 03:21 PM   #1  

Default Read the book but still have some questions

Unfortunately I still haven't bought the book but a friend loaned me her book. Money has been very tight and hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to afford the book.

In the meantime I did read thru the book but have some questions I didn't see covered in the book (or maybe I just missed it!)

Are soy nuts okay to have instead of regular nuts? I was thinking having soy nuts would be a good change of pace from regular nuts but did not know if it was okay or not. I know the book said the nuts cannot be salted or smoked. What is the reason behind that?

The book also states in Phase 2 you can have old-fashioned oatmeal but not instant. What about quick-cooking oatmeal? I like oatmeal and have a large container of the quick-cooking oatmeal. I'm wondering if I need to get rid of it or is it okay to have in Phase 2?

Is lean ground turkey (white meat) and lean ground beef okay to have? The book says in PHase 1 ground sirlioin is okay. I always buy 90-93% lean ground beef but don't know if it's ground sirloin.

I haven't started the diet yet but my target is to start next Monday. I get paid next Friday so I'll be able to go to the grocery store and stock up what I need!

I'm really looking forward to starting this diet. It sounds like such a healthy way to eat.

Last edited by agb1; 07-27-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:02 PM   #2  

Good afternoon agb ....

Soy nuts are okay instead of regular nuts. I think the no salt thing may have to do with retaining water ... no salt, msg. I just did a quick check thru the book and didn't notice a reason ... don't forget plan was really for cardiac patients and I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed salt.

The lean ground turkey is fine to use and so is 90%-93% lean ground beef. I usually use the turkey but the percentage is the same ... not more than 10% fat.

The oatmeal has to be the slow cook kind ... the book says to make the quick cook it has to be overprocessed and stripped of nutrients ... so it does have to be the slow cook.

Hope this helps!!!!
Old 07-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #3  

Thank you for the info! It was very helpful. I missed the part about the reason behind the slow-cook oatmeal. Thanks again!!
Closed Thread