Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Default strategies to combat boredom eating???

This is so weird. I guess I'm generally a pretty busy person bc in this whole journey I think this is the first time I've had this problem, at least consistently for a few days. My baby-daddy is out of town and I am BROKE and stuck home with the babies (although we are gonna go out for a while later, so there is a little diversion). And all I am thinking about is eating. If I start munching, I will lose all resolve. I am really all or nothing, can't have just a little.

When I am running around and busy, I don't have this issue at all and very often eat nothing solid until around 6 or 7 pm and feel great and not distracted by the idea of food. I'm not liking this!!!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

What you're describing is one of the reasons for set point theory.

I don't know if it is habit or hormones but either way for me the solution is to start doing something because the more I sit around thinking about food the more I will think about food. TV is the worst ... food ads everywhere ...
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
This is so weird. I guess I'm generally a pretty busy person bc in this whole journey I think this is the first time I've had this problem, at least consistently for a few days. My baby-daddy is out of town and I am BROKE and stuck home with the babies (although we are gonna go out for a while later, so there is a little diversion). And all I am thinking about is eating. If I start munching, I will lose all resolve. I am really all or nothing, can't have just a little.

When I am running around and busy, I don't have this issue at all and very often eat nothing solid until around 6 or 7 pm and feel great and not distracted by the idea of food. I'm not liking this!!!
Boredom is a form of emotional eating. I too am stuck at home and the computer and TV lull me into inactivity and then food obsessive thoughts. With babies it is so hard, believe me I know. Recent strategies..invite people over, madwoman cleaning sprees, yardwork that I can do with the little one like weed pulling, brush gathering etc etc, walking, mini workouts (like ten minutes bodyweight workouts) Wii Zumba, opening a new Etsy shop...I really have been enjoying the mini workouts and even the temporary soreness...lots of water to increase energy and less lethargy...
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I am convinced that boredom is an emotion. It's not a lack of things to do because there is always something we can do. It is the inability to decide what to do and if food is on your mind then food is what you must want to do.

This does not happen often to me either. But when it does I eat. Not in secrecy and guilt, but as a pleasurable event. I gather my favorite foods and indulge in my food fantasy. After all, eating IS pleasurable and there is no reason at all not to indulge for pure pleasure on occasion. I don't think of this as a binge and the lack of guilt I feel allows me to really enjoy it and then not think about it anymore. And the next day I feel great.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that your way of eating is quite restrictive. Perhaps your brain is seeking a little reprieve from that? It's not a bad thing, and it's not a binge.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote