Old 07-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #1  

Default Total Carbs in Phase 1 per day

Hi-I know this question has been answered many different ways (but I'm traveling and my internet searches are deathly slow!) And I'm doing a quick search just simply for the range of numbers of ~total carbs (not 'net' carbs, etc) that is basically targeted on the IP diet. I'm in week 2 of Phase 1 and this is just a numbers question for my own 2cents! I know that it's a balance, a range, not specifically stated, etc but just curious if someone has done the math and if so - what it is!! Thanks!!

Last edited by Jamiem4; 07-18-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Jamiem4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi & welcome to a relative newbie
That's the reason I liked this weight loss plan - you just follow the protocol and don't have to make those big choices around how many carbs, etc. This is only for Phase 1 weight loss of course, but we have enough to think about while doing that. The more complicated it gets, the harder it is to change our habits to work it properly. The other phases will help train you for maintenance but it really isn't complicated and doesn't have to be... Just sit back & relax and follow the plan - concentrating on changing your emotional relationship with food around comfort or celebration, etc. That is where the big life change happens, and it makes maintenance a comfortable and easy thing instead of falling back into old habits and regaining.

If you want to figure out what a sample might be take your foods from 1 day - plug them into nutritiondata.self.com and add up the net carb grams. This, of course, will not be the same everyday but should give you an idea.
Keep OP girl, you can do it!

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiem4 View Post
Hi-I know this question has been answered many different ways (but I'm traveling and my internet searches are deathly slow!) And I'm doing a quick search just simply for the range of numbers of ~total carbs (not 'net' carbs, etc) that is basically targeted on the IP diet. I'm in week 2 of Phase 1 and this is just a numbers question for my own 2cents! I know that it's a balance, a range, not specifically stated, etc but just curious if someone has done the math and if so - what it is!! Thanks!!
The cool thing about IP is that you don't have to track nutrients. Just follow the plan!

That being said, my coach helped me with some things when I started using MFP to food journal

IP is typically under 1000 calories/day. Usually more like 800-900.
Carbs are typically under 40 g net carbs (you won't be given total because the range of fiber changes A LOT depending on what you're eating)

Macronutrients typically fall approximately 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carb.

These are not hard and fast rules and all will vary a bit day-to-day so don't become consumed by them. Much better to just stick to the sheet.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #4  

I am also on Phase 1. Just started my 3rd week. I have been using Fitness Pal as my daily food log. My average has been between 40 and 50 total carbs per day with around 20 grams of fiber. My net carbs tend to be between 30 and 40 grams daily once I subtract the fiber. My IP paperwork from my coach says to try and stay under 30 grams per day, I have not managed to get below 30 though. I'd rather follow the protocol and not worry about the counting. :-)
nhayes72 is offline   Reply With Quote