Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #1  
[url=http://www.myfitness

S/C/G: 278/268/199

Height: 5'6

Default Am I sabotaging my efforts??

Hello all,
I started with MRC on June 10 which makes me almost a month in. I pre-cond for two weeks instead of one because I was not drinking enough water. The first 3 weeks were gain, lose, gain weeks and now I am down a total of 7.5 lbs. I drink 5 clear HNS's a day and follow my plan. Recently I have found myself absolutely craving peanuts. I have never, ever been a peanut person and the fat from calories are horrendous. Nuts are allowed on my plan in very small quantities and it does not take long to go over that amount. Am I sabotaging my efforts by skimming on other food items to eat the nuts? Also the fat free cottage cheese is an increasing craving. I could have it for B, L, and D and not think twice. Can this sabotage my efforts as well? Any suggestions to my dilemma??
bran g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #2  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran g View Post
Hello all,
I started with MRC on June 10 which makes me almost a month in. I pre-cond for two weeks instead of one because I was not drinking enough water. The first 3 weeks were gain, lose, gain weeks and now I am down a total of 7.5 lbs. I drink 5 clear HNS's a day and follow my plan. Recently I have found myself absolutely craving peanuts. I have never, ever been a peanut person and the fat from calories are horrendous. Nuts are allowed on my plan in very small quantities and it does not take long to go over that amount. Am I sabotaging my efforts by skimming on other food items to eat the nuts? Also the fat free cottage cheese is an increasing craving. I could have it for B, L, and D and not think twice. Can this sabotage my efforts as well? Any suggestions to my dilemma??
talk to your counselor and she should be able to help you. I noticed after the first 3-4wks my cravings at night started and it was salty and chocolate! I finally hit maintenance the second time around, if you follow the plan it will work but just know that we are all not perfect and I had ups and downs along with many many others, if you jump to the MRC july forum you will find a lot of support there, goodluck and stick with it. I joined mrc june 2012 and lost 32 lbs hit maintenance july 2013 and then six months later I gained 15-20 lbs back, so feb 2014 I rejoined and hit my goal june 6th of this year! You can do it.
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 AM   #3  
Crazy catlady

S/C/G: 262/251/140

Height: 5'7

I've read somewhere that a lot of cravings for specific foods are actually your body letting you know you are lacking something specific, such as magnesium (also found in peanuts), some vitamins,...

First link I found, was regarding cashewnuts, and that spoke merely that it might be a sign of lack of magnesium. Peanuts are certainly different from cashews and I guess it also depend whether you crave them salted or it non-salted peanuts could give you the same satisfaction.

If you do believe magnesium may be what you lack, then you could try upping your intake of dark green vegetables, seeds and whole grains, other sources of magnesium (that are better than peanuts).

Checking out cottage cheese, though, makes me think you are craving salt. If it's salt and your intake of salt has now decreased to a healthy level, this is likely just your body needing to learn to live without so much salt (and it'll need to get used it to it).

So, the only thing I'd do, is maybe look into increasing the intake of magnesium, without giving in to any salty craving.

EDIT: By the way, chocolate is just as well a craving for magnesium sometimes. It seems to me that this plan has you craving magnesium and salt in the beginning.

Last edited by AngryShroom; 07-09-2014 at 02:56 AM.
AngryShroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

BRAN! This is a journey of redefining yourself, and redefining your body.

#1 - Angry Shroom is SOOOOOOOO right.

I've been doing mrc for 13 years off and on. I am a certified personal trainer. Not a nutritionist by any means, but I know what works, and I know what doesn't, because of the journey.

I don't choose nuts, at all, unless the remainder of my diet is ridiculously...RIDICULOUSLY strict. It always sends me backwards, and if I'm putting forth so much effort, I want to just move forward.

I also don't choose to have any milk. I did a test. One week, I had some milk - with my nutrition plan. Lost nothing. the following week, I ate the exact same things, at the exact same time, minus the milk, and I lost 2 lbs.

There are things that you will find that cause you to "cross over" to the old you. Stay away from them until you get the mental strength to regulate.

I have things that I just do not touch while I'm losing.

There are SO many wonderful substitutions in our cookbook, however, that there is A LOT of joy to be found in having those things.

So, my advice, is to stop being afraid of what this is going to do or that, and use the desire inside of you for change as a motivator for complete discipline. This is a learning journey, and you are headed the right way.

There are a lot of programs out there, but you somehow found one that truly, TRULY works.

Be encouraged! Your life, as you know it, IS changing. You can't take the old mentality with you, though. You've got to be new in every aspect!!!!!

Leave the fear and insecurity behind you with each lb lost!

AND have a beautiful day!

Joy
discoverjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #5  
[url=http://www.myfitness

S/C/G: 278/268/199

Height: 5'6

Default Thank you all for the encouragement

Using the tips listed in the responses. It's not easy changing habits but I'm learning everyday. The weight loss is still going at a snail's pace. I'm 9lbs down and hopes to sign the 10lb board assert next weigh in. A really bright spot though it's that I'm 21inches down!! Something ifs definitely working. Thanks again!!
bran g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #6  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran g View Post
Using the tips listed in the responses. It's not easy changing habits but I'm learning everyday. The weight loss is still going at a snail's pace. I'm 9lbs down and hopes to sign the 10lb board assert next weigh in. A really bright spot though it's that I'm 21inches down!! Something ifs definitely working. Thanks again!!
bran, have you asked your center about the new menu? It's suppose to be awesome, they combined the yellow, blue and green, added bacon, you can eat any protein anytime, check it out. It is suppose to make it so much easier to lose and stay on plan
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote