Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Bad week (TMI)

So I've had a rotten week. *sigh*

According to my scale, I've gained 2 pounds this week.

I haven't eaten horribly. But (and here comes the TMI) I've been constipated since Thursday, and I just discovered what it is that's causing the constipation (a drug I'm taking for muscle spasms.) I've stopped taking it but the constipation hasn't resolved itself yet. I also ran a 5K road race on Sunday and I am having major muscle soreness from that still (I usually have it for two or three days after an actual race.)

And so I know that the 2 pounds I'm seeing on the scale are most likely due to those two factors, but it's still really disheartening to think of going to my meeting tomorrow night and seeing a higher number on that scale than the one I saw last week. *sigh*

I think I need to stop weighing myself every day (I've been doing that since I stopped going to WW meetings about six months ago.) But maybe it's not doing me any good now, it only seems to be making me crazy.

And I know one thing: if this constipation doesn't resolve pretty soon, I'm going to go out of my mind. I don't like resorting to laxatives (I've taken them exactly twice in my life) but if it doesn't clear up soon, I'm not going to have a choice.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #2  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Snoofie, try 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. I count it as a good fat, even though WW doesn't.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #3  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
Snoofie, try 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. I count it as a good fat, even though WW doesn't.
It is SO funny you mentioned this! I had a doctor's appointment today and mentioned my issue to her, and she made the exact same recommendation! So I bought some and took 2 tsps this afternoon.

...It worked in an hour. I am amazed.

WW be damned, I don't care if they count it as a healthy oil or not; if it works, I don't give a crap (hahaha, if you'll pardon the pun!)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

Too funny and that (about the coconut oil) is good know.

Actually on the bathroom thing, I think it is an important point that often gets overlooked.

This may also be TMI but it is important so I'll mention it.

I do weigh daily and I noticed that quite often I would weigh at home on Thursday morning (I weigh in at WW on Friday) and I would be down X amount. Then Friday morning, I would weigh in at home and suddenly be up half a pound. I would still weigh in for a loss but not what it would have been on Thursday.

It took me awhile to figure out what was going on. Basically I am super careful on what I eat Wednesday and Thursday. I eat my minimum 26 points, but not much above it. This is less than most days when I tend to eat some weekly points.

I finally worked out that on Thursday I wasn't, well, going to the bathroom that much because I hadn't eaten that much. So, my weight tended to jump up Friday morning. I always go out to eat after my Friday meeting. I was finding that almost invariably I would weigh in Friday (half pound more than I weighed on Thursday), I would go out to eat for lunch. Then Friday afternoon I would go to the bathroom and then Saturday morning I would be down about half a pound even though Friday was a fairly high calorie day.

Long story short, I think the not eating much Wednesday and Thursday was causing me to not go to the bathroom resulting in a temporary weight gain.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

LOL can I share my own "TMI" situation? My weight loss has been at a standstill! For months! Well in the past few months I've had a couple of medical issues pop up and each time I'd have a CT done and while nothing was found wrong the techs mentioned to me "Well you do have a lot of stool backed up" Ugh! LOL to add insult to injury the one tech was very cute and he was telling me this! Oh well!

I finally realized this whole backing up thing may be causing some of my problems, so I started taking sugar free metamucil. I actually LOVE the taste and even when it thickens up a bit I just dig out a spoon and eat it like applesauce! I think I'll have to try the coconut oil thing!

I was stuck at the same weight for awhile and noticed since I addressed this problem I'm less bloated, less abdominal pain (hmmm...the likely culprit!), and although my weight is still wavering I finally dropped a couple of pounds and fit into some smaller pants

So glad to figure this out when I did! It's very easy to want to give up when you're not losing and can't figure out why! I kept telling myself though to hang in there!

Thanks for sharing your story!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #6  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vealcalf2000 View Post
I finally realized this whole backing up thing may be causing some of my problems, so I started taking sugar free metamucil. I actually LOVE the taste and even when it thickens up a bit I just dig out a spoon and eat it like applesauce!
I've been thinking about picking up some Metamucil, but I wasn't sure if it was okay to take on a regular basis. But, I mean, it's just psyllium fibre anyway, right? I think I'll pick some up this afternoon.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Update on my situation...the metamucil did in fact help a little BUT ultimately found out m problem was being caused by a large fibroid Doctor's appt to follow soon to look into my options. At least it explains the lack of weight loss, constipation, among other problems.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #8  
Less of a Better Me

Wow! Sure glad you got that checked and found out what was going on.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Happens all the time. Gotta take the rough with the smooth.

I didn't sh!t yesterday and I am up 2lbs today. So I deal with it and move on.

BTW, oil (I take fish) does work but it is shortlived. Once your body gets used to the oil, you'll be back to where you started i.e. constipated. It's normal to skip a bowel movement every now and again. Roll with the punches.

Last edited by IanG; 07-05-2014 at 10:04 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote