Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #1  
jessie

S/C/G: 274.6 / see ticker / 190

Height: 5'7"

Default almond milk

For you more experienced ones a question... unsweet almond milk has 1 carb and 0 added sugars. What are your thoughts? Also in the book he said 3-4 oz heavy cream was ok (count carbs ) and unsweetened coco so on induction could I have 3-4 oz heavy cream with coco and a splenda for the 2 carbs listed as a sweet? I am reading the book and trying to absorb it all but since I just re-started for reals I wanna get it right and not sabatoge .... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!
jessiegreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegreene View Post
For you more experienced ones a question... unsweet almond milk has 1 carb and 0 added sugars. What are your thoughts? Also in the book he said 3-4 oz heavy cream was ok (count carbs ) and unsweetened coco so on induction could I have 3-4 oz heavy cream with coco and a splenda for the 2 carbs listed as a sweet? I am reading the book and trying to absorb it all but since I just re-started for reals I wanna get it right and not sabatoge .... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Unsweetened almond milk, as well as unsweetened cocoa are not permitted on Atkins Induction. They would not be permitted until you reach the nuts & seeds rung of the carb ladder during Phase 2 (OWL - On Going Weight Loss).
I know the Atkins website as well as the "new" Atkins book permits these items during Induction but, Dr. Atkins did not write the "new" book.
There are Induction friendly dessets on Linda's Low Carb recipe site using ingredients that are permitted. They are marked with an *.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/dessert_recipes.html

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #3  
jessie

S/C/G: 274.6 / see ticker / 190

Height: 5'7"

Thank you JersyGyrl I appreciate your pointing me in the right direction and I did not see it listed in the book that's why I ask its confusing a little. have a great day!!
jessiegreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Basically if it isn't on the acceptable foods list in the book, its a no-no.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Jersey - thanks for sharing that. I haven't been using either one of them, but I thought they were ok too b/c I'm using the new book as well.

Sounds like I need to pick up a copy of one written by Dr. Atkins himself. I already got burned once on those dang carb bars (used for an out of town trip). lol
Ali06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Don't you think the new carb book would be approved by him given its got his name on the title page. Don't you think he'd approve of everything in it?

I can't remember if splenda is an exception but there seems to be a bias against artificial sweeteners bias. I think there's a good reason for that. Is splenda different somehow.

Personally learning to live without sweets is wonderful! I can't stress that enough. Though i know on induction you can't eat fruit so you might be feeling a bit sweetness starved. I think that's unfortunate.
In my honest opinion, no, I don't believe Dr. Atkins would've approved of the "modifications" made to his plan. It sickens me when I go to Atkins.com and see ad after ad for "Atkins products". Frozen meals, shakes, bars, candy, marketed as being "acceptable for all phases" These are processed foods that contain ingredients not on the acceptable foods list ( I'm talking about the acceptable foods list Dr. Atkins himself wrote, not the one in the "new" books ).
Atkins.com is advertising a "Starter kit". I believe since it is called a starter kit, that means this would be for someone starting the Atkins lifestyle. This contains 3 Atkins bars. The bars contain ingredients like nuts, chocolate and milk....none of which are on Dr. Atkins acceptable foods
list. This is not the way Dr. Atkins advised his plan be done. For some eye-opening info about those products, I recommend reading this article: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
While Dr. Atkins recommended Splenda ( Sucralose ), it is in limited quanities. No more than 3 packets per day. Personally, I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, Splenda included.
For those who are doing Induction and feel "sweetness starved", there are many Induction friendly recipes for desserts & treats. Most of them include Splenda.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #7  

Jersey, I tend to agree with you. After his death, the Atkins diet was modified quite a bit.

I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners --- pre-Atkins, I used honey in my coffee and most things I cooked - while I certainly realize it does cause blood sugar spikes I felt it was still better than using cane sugar or other processed sugars/substitutes.

But, I do find with my morning cup of coffee I still can't quite hang with it being unsweetened so I do use not quite a teaspoon per cup - usually only drink 1 cup a day - sometimes more, like if we have company

I do also use it in my deviled eggs and cole slaw, and I buy the SF (but sweetened with Splenda) pickle relish for making egg salad, tuna/chicken salad, and deviled eggs. We just don't eat those things every day and I use about 3-4 packets for the whole batch (deviled eggs and cole slaw that is, I don't sweeten tuna/chicken/egg salad).

Pattience - after his death these things were changed, so he never had the opportunity to approve of those changes. But I tend to agree with Jersey I don't believe he would approve of it. I know his diet got a lot of criticism in the past and he never really seemed to budge off his advice, I don't really thing he would have approved, especially of all the processed foods being pushed.

One of the main reasons that Atkins appeals to me is the push to use real butter - not margarine, and staying away from all the chemically laden low-fat foods. And reducing carbs = reducing sugars, which I also find to be very important.

I didn't remember Almond Milk being something you could have but figured maybe it was just added due to the popularity of it now - but it makes sense that if you can't have nuts in induction, you probably can't have almond milk either

I'm going to be on induction for a long time - I have 175lbs total to loose (down 30 right now), and I know it says if you stay on induction longer than 2 weeks to include nuts so I may start having some almond milk on occasion down the road. I'm not a fan of it's taste so I know I won't turn it up and drink it lol but could possibly be used for certain dishes.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali06 View Post
Jersey, I tend to agree with you. After his death, the Atkins diet was modified quite a bit.

I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners --- pre-Atkins, I used honey in my coffee and most things I cooked - while I certainly realize it does cause blood sugar spikes I felt it was still better than using cane sugar or other processed sugars/substitutes.

But, I do find with my morning cup of coffee I still can't quite hang with it being unsweetened so I do use not quite a teaspoon per cup - usually only drink 1 cup a day - sometimes more, like if we have company

I do also use it in my deviled eggs and cole slaw, and I buy the SF (but sweetened with Splenda) pickle relish for making egg salad, tuna/chicken salad, and deviled eggs. We just don't eat those things every day and I use about 3-4 packets for the whole batch (deviled eggs and cole slaw that is, I don't sweeten tuna/chicken/egg salad).

Pattience - after his death these things were changed, so he never had the opportunity to approve of those changes. But I tend to agree with Jersey I don't believe he would approve of it. I know his diet got a lot of criticism in the past and he never really seemed to budge off his advice, I don't really thing he would have approved, especially of all the processed foods being pushed.

One of the main reasons that Atkins appeals to me is the push to use real butter - not margarine, and staying away from all the chemically laden low-fat foods. And reducing carbs = reducing sugars, which I also find to be very important.

I didn't remember Almond Milk being something you could have but figured maybe it was just added due to the popularity of it now - but it makes sense that if you can't have nuts in induction, you probably can't have almond milk either

I'm going to be on induction for a long time - I have 175lbs total to loose (down 30 right now), and I know it says if you stay on induction longer than 2 weeks to include nuts so I may start having some almond milk on occasion down the road. I'm not a fan of it's taste so I know I won't turn it up and drink it lol but could possibly be used for certain dishes.
Ali, do you mind me asking where you read this??
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #9  

In the new book...pg 112

"If you do choose to stay put in Induction, you'll remain at 20 grams of Net Carbs a day, but you can add nuts and seeds to your list of acceptable foods. A couple of tablespoons of walnuts, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, or other seeds or nuts make a great snack. Or sprinkle them on a salad or cooked vegetables."
Old 06-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali06 View Post
In the new book...pg 112

"If you do choose to stay put in Induction, you'll remain at 20 grams of Net Carbs a day, but you can add nuts and seeds to your list of acceptable foods. A couple of tablespoons of walnuts, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, or other seeds or nuts make a great snack. Or sprinkle them on a salad or cooked vegetables."
Thought it must've been the "new" book because mine doesn't say that.

Page 180-181, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002

"As you know by now, Atkins is not about eating no carbs. It is about controlling carb intake and eating those that are most nutrient-dense. Different nuts and seeds have different percentages of fat, protein and carbohydrate. I don't recommend eating them during the first two weeks of Induction. But now, (in OWL) if you are continuing to lose steadily you can try introducing some nuts (see "The Power of Five" in this chapter) and see if they fit into your Ongoing Weight Loss regimen. Note however, that nuts and seeds may contain mold which could trigger an allergic response. I should tell you that nuts are one of the first foods I recommend my patients reintroduce in Ongoing Weight Loss-right up there with cheese. But I also remind them that nuts are notoriously hard to eat in moderation. One leads to another until you may have eaten several ounces. Try buying the one or two-ounce packets so you won't be tempted to over indulge."

Nothing is mentioned about adding nuts if you're planning to stay on Induction. This seems to be one example of the many "modifications" to this plan.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #11  

Hey Jersey, in the original plan...could you stay in induction for a long time?

I did Atkins before, years ago...was actually on it when he died. And I couldn't do induction more than a few weeks...the higher carbs now in induction with most coming from veggies is a lot easier on my body.

Pattience I don't think change is necessarily bad, I think my biggest problem with new plan is the push for the packaged items.

I do need to get an old book and read it....I may follow the original induction throughout my journey if I hit stalls.

Nuts are something I used to pig out on before lol, love them. But in this process I have learned a great deal about self control and portion control. I no longer mindlessly snack and I plan every meal and measure/weigh.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Ali, by the original plan, are you referring to Atkins 72 ? Level 1 on Atkins 72 is for 1 week and it is 0 carbs. After the first week, the book states second, third, fourth & fifth level carbohydrates are interchangeable and flexible. You can make these additions any week you choose. It says to gradually put back what you've missed most and stop adding carbohyrdates when you reach your CCL ( Critical Carbohydrate for Losing). "How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate: Ask yourself: Are the keto-stix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves"

Basically, Level 1 on the 72 plan is meat, fish, eggs, cheese, heavy cream, butter, 2 small salads. No veggies until Level 2. So....pretty much 0 carbs. Personally, I wouldn't stay on this for very long because I would miss the veggies and would want to add those back first.

I have the original Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution (72) book. You can get it on Ebay or Amazon or check with your local library.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-22-2014 at 12:21 AM.