Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-25-2014, 03:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/191/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Weird side effects of weight loss?

Okay, I will warn everyone right now. This is a very odd question about if anyone else has had problems with their bowel movements after losing weight. So... If that makes you feel uncomfortable you may exit now. Lol!

Anyway. I started my new diet on April 12th at 212 lbs. I have now lost 15 lbs in about a month and a half. Before my weight loss I had very regular, normal BMs. Now, I don't go. Like ever. I even bought laxatives to see if that would help get me started in case I was just constipated from the diet change or something but still, nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this or should I try and get in to see a dr? I really hope someone can tell me this is normal. I'm thinking that maybe since I'm eating less I just don't really need to go but it just seems so odd. I probably go once every other day and its only a teeny amount.

So like I said, sorry about the TMI! I'm just really concerned and weirded out.
LovelyDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

It is normal to see a change in your bm when changing your eating habits. If you increase your fiber content and dont drink enough water you will have little problems of that nature.

Dont start with the laxative it will make it worse. Plenty of water and walking are a better solution.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

It is very normal and it doesn't even mean you're constipated. Constipated means you have difficulty passing a stool = straining.

For me, when I'm eating the way I do now, it's not unusual for me to go have a bowel movement just twice a week. And when I do, it's normal, just not frequent.

But PLEASE don't go the laxative route - that's bad news.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/191/150

Height: 5'1"

Thanks ladies! I only took them for two days to see if that was the issue. When they didn't work I stopped using them. So they will now sit in my medicine cabinet in case anyone ever needs them! lol.
LovelyDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Bulk up your diet with more vegetables to increase fibre content and drink tons of water!
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

Height: 5'7"

Fiber fiber fiber! I actually go a lot more often and more easily when I'm dieting because I'm eating so much fiber. All fruits and veggies have fiber, but some easy ones that are pretty high include broccoli, avocados, and pears. I also eat whole wheat versions of everything - bread, pasta, tortillas, etc. - and when I need something in the house to "grab and go" I buy the Fiber One granola bars and brownies.

My tactic has always been to eat as little processed food as possible and focus on getting lots of fiber and enough protein and otherwise let the calories fall where they may
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #7  
diamondgeog

I don't worry about fiber anymore. I relearned everything about nutrition the past year. Is fiber healthy? Why? Where are the studies. A book called Whole Grains Empty Promises blew my mind. On RCT studies often fiber is associated with worse outcomes.

But research. It is so common today to hear fiber is good. I didn't question it until this past year. Not saying I am right at all. I am comfortable that fiber is good has been way overblown. But that is me.

Here is a link to not the book but web page:

http://www.gutsense.org/reports/myth.html#qt_5

Since going low carb high fat I do number 2 much less. But let's just say it is much higher quality. And not painful at all. Just fine with how things are working now.

The story of fiber in the Whole Grains book is very interesting. When you tease out the history of fiber helps reduce some cancers it is based on extremely shoddy science. And the reality might be the exact opposite.

Bottom line: less frequent number 2 is no problem if no pain.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Going less frequently is probably normal (you're eating less). Doing a quick google check, "the normal range spans three times a day to once every three days" so it sounds like you're still in the normal range (every other day).

In addition to fiber, you also want to make sure you're drinking enough and eating enough healthy fats. If you eat more fiber without enough fluid and fat, things can actually slow down. So, put olive oil on that salad and have some guac with your veggie sticks!

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-26-2014 at 06:37 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yep, I went from going regular as clockwork every morning to pooping like a bird every two or three days when I was losing. Less in, less out.

Now I eat a lot, but different foods. And my poop has changed again! It's far more unpredictable and often explosive. I blame the kimchi and the fish! Small price to pay...
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I agree with keep the fruit and veggies up. They hold the water in the bowel longer than just drinking water. It might be normal to go less often but its still better if your diet is more balanced so you go regularly.

If you stools are hard, then you are constipated. But avoid the laxatives unless absolutely essential.

I'd discuss it at the doctors next time you go.

It bugs me that i don't go more often but i'm taking antidepressants and these ones cause constipation. My bean and legume eating keeps things going better as like vegies they hold the water better and make it all more comfortable.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #11  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Make sure you are getting your fats. I find 1 or 2 teaspoons of coconut oil helps to get things moving along.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Nothing is ever TMI

But then I work for a veterinarian, and we take a great interest in poo.

That being said, it's different for all of us.

But I could not imagine only going every few days. I go right after my first cup of coffee at 5 a.m. and once more about 7 a.m. And right after lunch. Gotta rotate the stock, then I'm usually good for the day.

For the record, on the TMI front, what's in my post lunch poo, is usually what I had for breakfast! Given my profession, I do check it out.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #13  

I love a good poo convo.

Have you ever tried chia seeds? Blend up some almond milk, frozen banana, frozen berries, and a tbsp of chia and you'll be cleaned out in no time. I agree with everyone that water is key when you're eating fiber. Good luck!
kk2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Oh yes i have also noticed that fats help with the poo situation. Its a pity fats have been so demonised. They really have lots of benefits.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote