Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Default People noticing a change....

So almost 50 pounds down in 3.5 months and people are starting to notice. I love all the compliments (what girl doesn't love to hear how good she looks?) but, am not really comfortable with all the comments. I hate comments like "you are wasting away", "there's nothing left of you" or "you are so skinny". I don't like these comments because they are completely not true and they make me feel like a foolish fat chick. I am still 30 pounds from an "ideal weight". What do you guys say when people make these comments? I know they are being nice and that this is my issue but I feel silly or really embarrassed when people say these things....
murphypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

"Thank you! My healthier new weight is impressive, isn't it?!" *said with a sweet smile and enthusiasm!*

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 05-23-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: needed italics for emphasis lol
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/166/155

Height: 5'3"

I understand your feelings of discomfort. I feel the same way when someone makes too much of a fuss over my weight loss, either positive or negative.
When someone says "you look great" I simply say "thanks" or if they say "don't get too skinny" "or you don't want to waste away" I reply with something like "Just working hard to be healthy" and I don't talk about numbers with a lot of people - just my friends here on the forums and a some close personal friends and family (to stay accountable). Some people may be uncomfortable with others losing weight since it makes them face their own weight issues by showing them it is possible to lose weight and for others, weight is a part of someone's identity and they have a hard time with someone "changing" their identity too much.
Keep working at the weight loss until you are your own ideal weight. I trust that my body will let me know when I have reached my # goal. Right now I have set it for 150 lbs. and I will reassess as needed once I get there.
sending good energy your way!
Sully1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #4  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphypuppy View Post
So almost 50 pounds down in 3.5 months and people are starting to notice. I love all the compliments (what girl doesn't love to hear how good she looks?) but, am not really comfortable with all the comments. I hate comments like "you are wasting away", "there's nothing left of you" or "you are so skinny". I don't like these comments because they are completely not true and they make me feel like a foolish fat chick. I am still 30 pounds from an "ideal weight". What do you guys say when people make these comments? I know they are being nice and that this is my issue but I feel silly or really embarrassed when people say these things....
I'm not on IP but I thought I'd chime in. I get a lot of people who knew me when I was bigger who tell me that I shouldn't lose anymore weight (my goal is to get into the 120s, I am in the 130s) or that I'm too skinny and need to gain weight. They can be really negative about it. I just respond with "my doctor agrees that I am healthy and fit"
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/145/145

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphypuppy View Post
I share your sentiments MurphyPuppy. I feel like I should be grateful for any compliment I receive, but sometimes the comments/questions are intrusive or awkward. Two people told me they had privately wondered if I had cancer. I am still working toward my goal and have plenty of curves left. I used to explain the program a bit more; however, now I just respond that I'm eating healthier and low carb and politely change the subject.
smallerin2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #6  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallerin2014 View Post
I share your sentiments MurphyPuppy. I feel like I should be grateful for any compliment I receive, but sometimes the comments/questions are intrusive or awkward. Two people told me they had privately wondered if I had cancer. I am still working toward my goal and have plenty of curves left. I used to explain the program a bit more; however, now I just respond that I'm eating healthier and low carb and politely change the subject.
I like when people say "you look great!" and I say "thank you!" and then we go on to other subjects.

If someone is being super rude and probing into how I lost weight (I'm not talking about people who are truly interested and want to learn more) I just tell them I followed the "meth & cheetos diet." Shuts them right up.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Hee-hee - I like meth and cheetos....
My usual response is "I'm working on it but I still have a long way to go" but I'm switching to "Meth and Cheetos"....
murphypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235.6/210/160

Height: 5' 2.5"

First of all, a big "Congrats" on the weight loss so far!! I have had people make comments about "you aren't going to lose any more are you?" And I smile and say, I have a few pounds to go. They don't need to know how much is a few! LOL. I think our weight loss is also about how we feel about our bodies and nobody can tell us when we should stop. I know for me my goal weight still puts me in the "overweight" on the BMI charts. Kind of sad to think I will still be overweight by those standards but for me I think I will be happy there and able to maintain. Good luck with the rest of your journey.
want2bskinnyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 642 (IPstart 395.4)/226.2/160

Height: 5'7"

I haven't had anyone tell me that I need to stop losing (since I still have 100lbs to go), but people have started calling me "skinny"... and that makes me feel really really uncomfortable.. like when you were a kid and they called the fat kid slim, or the short kid stretch... I politely request that they don't call me that, while at the same time thanking them for noticing that I *am* working on my health.
Kawaii1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #10  
Started IP Sept. 24, 2013

S/C/G: 378/315/190

Height: 5'6"

I've had soooo many compliments in the last few weeks and am enjoying them so much. I had to lose 140 pounds before I even started hearing anything. (I've been absent because of a family illness a lot & haven't seen these people in a long time).
In my case, all the compliments are positive and I am an open book. Whatever they want to know I offer freely....weight lost, starting weight, where I aim to stop, etc. etc. etc. They are satisfied and very happy for me.
If a negative comment comes up I guess I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Last edited by 64peppergirl; 05-23-2014 at 08:53 PM.
64peppergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #11  
Me back on the list!

S/C/G: 220/177/135

Height: 5'5"

One of the other teachers at school told me that I have been such a motivating factor in so many other teachers wanting to change their lifestyles and get healthy. (Me? The role model for a healthy lifestyle??? Yay!!!)
bluegingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #12  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

50 must be the magic number. So many more people commenting to me this week too. But I have also started to wear some clothes that actually fit instead of try to camouflage. My responses change depending on who the question comes from but luckily I haven't dealt with anyone who is rude or being particularly nosy.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 278.3 / 156.5 / 180

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegingham View Post
One of the other teachers at school told me that I have been such a motivating factor in so many other teachers wanting to change their lifestyles and get healthy. (Me? The role model for a healthy lifestyle??? Yay!!!)
Yay! That's awesome, and I can totally relate! I've been getting some of the same comments.
Fearciuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #14  
Loving Ideal Protein!

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
I like when people say "you look great!" and I say "thank you!" and then we go on to other subjects.

If someone is being super rude and probing into how I lost weight (I'm not talking about people who are truly interested and want to learn more) I just tell them I followed the "meth & cheetos diet." Shuts them right up.
BUAHAHAHAHAAAA

The meth and Cheetos diet shuts them right up!

Post of the day!
IPCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #15  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Glad you liked it [B]IPCali/B]! Seriously though, I don't mind sharing with people who are happy for me and want to learn more, but there are certain people who are just probing or rude. When a stranger finds out I've lost weight and starts with the "what did you weigh before?" Or "You're just going to gain it all back if you didn't lose weight X, Y or Z way." I feel no obligation to go into details with them. If a "thanks" and trying to change the subject doesn't work I figure a smart a** remark is appropriate and gets the point across.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote