Old 05-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #1  
KMainprize

S/C/G: 303/292/180

Height: 5'10

Unhappy A Failed IP'er Restart....Long

So I was not really sure where on earth I should post this, so I am starting a new one.
Ok so this is going to be a long post ish so hopefully you will stay with me.
This is my confession and I feel the need to tell it.
I started IP at 303 and got down to 209 in approx. 6.5 months...yay it was awesome, it was fabulous and I loved myself and was so proud, even made dieter of the week! Here I am a year later back at 300 smashing my head against a wall, got rid of all my old fat clothes because I thought I would NEVER be in this position again.
So I have come to terms with myself and have started again just on a different account.
During my IP journey I had a lot of problems that made me question the diet because honestly its not healthy(yes and I get the whole being over weight is not healthy either) but it got to the point of I started having severe constipation that took days to go away that the IP brand of laxative did not help. I actually blacked out in my bathroom and smashed my head off the floor because of my salt, potassium being so low. So I had to adjust my intakes for that as well.(insert 100% IP'ers who will start bashing me telling me I am obviously not doing things right, or I must have had something else wrong with me)The answer to that parenthesis is that no...I was 100% IP and I followed it like it was a bible. Its just my body clearly did not handle the deficiencies well and in result I have to start taking more amounts of supplements.
So to my real reflection on where I started climbing the weight scale again.
When I got to my 209 I was happy felt like I could concur anything. My problem was I did not have the money to keep going with IP(still wanted to lose 29 pounds), and the food was starting to make me gag...so I thought I would phase out on my own and maintain on my own....mistake number 1.
I had no sense on how to eat, the idea of quick carb slow carb ect. I hated eating in the morning I was so use to morning shakes, I literally could not eat breakfast when phasing out.
I started not eating properly, not exercising enough and between May and December I gained 40 pounds. Then I went on vacation to Mexico gained a lot there, and came back and my granny was in the hospital. From Dec 20 up till now I have put on almost 60 pounds. I lost my gram and she was practically my mom, I turned to food as comfort, and all I do is eat now because I feel like my life is out of control. I am bigger than I was prior to starting IP like inches wise. I am so devastated and depressed, and I realize I am one big IP f... up.
*Moral of the story follow your sheet!!!!*
I am starting this again so that I can regain control, and start to feel healthy again. As I stand I will not be 100% compliant, I am not even going to try and kid myself about that. When I say not 100% I am referring to buying all the Walden farms stuff, and all Ideal Protein products. I will buy salad dressings that may have 1 carb in them, or use some water flavours. I WILL NOT be eating foods outside of the plan though. As for supplements IP products are not in my financial bracket at this current moment.
I rather be honest now and not set myself up for failure.
I realize I am going to probably get a whole bunch of backlash from y'all, but that's ok. I truly do love the IP diet, I just went and disrespected the clear cut protocols for phasing out. So now I am asking for support, and I can hope it will be given.
Please do not think I am bashing the diet, I am just stating my experience.
KillerKandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #2  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I can totally understand your feelings. I joined last Oct. and did really well. I even made it through the holidays which I've never done. I was so happy with my progress. My boyfriend did something really stupid which sent me to my comfort "food". I have gained back all I lost just like you. I am disgusted with myself and my lack of self control. I am ready to do this again. I will be doing alternatives and this time bought some products online to help fight the evening munchies. Last go round I only had rtd's , meat and veggies. Anyway, received my products yesterday and will try again Tues. I didn't ' come anywhere near losing the amount you did. I am totally in aww at people who can accomplish that.

You stuck to the plan once and can do it again.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Kandy... Folks on here are anxious to support those who are serious about losing weight with IP. And you clearly are. In fact you have the insight to know both that IP works and that it is about far more than just losing weight. Lifetime changes are what keep you successful in maintenance. YOU are way ahead of many in what you have already learned!

There are LOTS of people on here who use alternative products that meet the IP standards and they are embraced equally to those who use IP packets. Success is not in the foil packet stamped IP... It is in embracing the whole plan, whatever "packets" you decide to use.

Go to the Alternatives that work in phase one Part 4 thread and get the little pink guide in the first post and look down a few posts and you will see a few more guidelines I posted to use when selecting products.

I also suggest finding the same thread Part 3 since Part 4 is so new and has few posts. Also in Daily Chat is a link to the original thread but it is several years old.

Next step... Shop for your products (Nashua Nutrition is my favorite site)!

Feel free to post questions and visit us all in the Daily Chat, What Are You Eating, Alternatives threads, etc.

WELCOME BACK!!!

Last edited by JLUS; 05-22-2014 at 10:37 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #4  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I did a similar thing to you. I think I may even have changed my name too wanting a fresh start. But, I didn't want to wait 20 days for my ticker and couldn't remember how to make a new one, and hey, I like you thought that I may as well be honest. We both know this works. And we both know if you don't phase off properly and figure out an "after plan", then it doesn't take long to put it back. People -- newbies especially-- need to hear that reality I think.

Good for you for knowing what worked and that you can come back here. 100% refers to committal, not to IP products as mentioned. I am at best a 90% er. I put milk in my coffee, forget my supplements, don't drink enough water... but I'm trying my best every day. I know what works and I sometimes need to listen to my own advice better.

You have a lot to offer us. 100 lb loss is amazing so share your expertise with us and know we're here to support you if needed too.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:27 AM   #5  
KMainprize

S/C/G: 303/292/180

Height: 5'10

See I was a super active person on these threads, and if someone even mentioned one bad thing about the diet, there would be an uproar....it was pretty sad. Thats why I take caution in how I word things occasionally.
KillerKandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Why don't you try the south beach diet instead. On that diet it costs you nothing but your own grocery bill and its low carb and you learn how to eat properly.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKandy View Post
See I was a super active person on these threads, and if someone even mentioned one bad thing about the diet, there would be an uproar....it was pretty sad. Thats why I take caution in how I word things occasionally.
First off let me say welcome back!!!

I started in Sept. I did well, I lost 45lbs but have gained 6 lbs back since I have been on burnout mode. I like you am trying to restart and lose the last 40 or so

There is a 90% thread that has been like a confessional for so many (me included) I will bump it up so if yu struggle you can post there with out the fear of scolding or lectures or getting "black listed (ignored by others for your own personal struggles)

sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #8  
Member-started IP 3/15/14

S/C/G: 273/183/160

Height: 5' 7"

I too did the same thing. I was on IP in 2011 and lost 80 lbs. I got bored/unmotivated whatever you want to call it even though I still needed to lose 40 more pounds. Fast forward to 2014 and I gained back 70 of the 80lbs. I lost and felt so stupid, ashamed etc. I didn't phase off and just went back to doing what I did before. I hadn't gotten rid of any of my bigger clothes so as I was gaining the weight back, I'd just pull a bigger size out of the closet. I started again in March 2014 and have lost 36 lbs. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting a different result. This time I WILL get to my goal and phase off and have an "after" plan. That never really occurred to me last time. I'm not sure why. I guess I was so focused on the losing weight part. I bought the book Dr. Beck's diet solution that talks about having a plan etc. I'm glad you decided to come back. I think admitting it is time to come back is the hardest part. Hang in there and good luck!!
SophieLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I think "the bad things said about the diet/uproar" part and "scolding or lectures" is because we are all so zealous for things to work right and that we all want to quickly get someone back on track so they can have success too. It is very difficult to write to convey what we really feel, because the emotion & care in our voice and our facial expressions are not there on the page. Words must be chosen very carefully so that they cannot be misconstrued and we aren't professional writers, so often we just pour it out and hit the 'submit' button.

I'm sorry if anyone feels persecuted, but there is also a time for advice, and a time for just acknowledgement and a hug. Don't forget though, that just commiserating with someone doesn't always help them see how to get back on track and have their own victories so they can feel good again.

That said, Welcome Back, to anyone who is trying it again... Please take our posts in the most positive light you can. One thing you can be certain of, is that we all want you to succeed!

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Wishing you all the best in your journey! This is NOT easy but it is 100% worth it! I hope you have a better experience this time with the forum. The ladies here are a wonderful support for me and a kick in the pants when I need it! We are all in this together - Can't wait to see your tracker go down in numbers!!
murphypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #11  
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

I'm in a similar boat Kandy, Don't fret - Im just farting around and not going down any farther, wasting my own time. I don't know why I keep doing this, I havent been serious about this since November. I need to stop kidding myself and get back on track. I've even said that before lol!

I considered restarting new too, but that is more of me hiding from myself. Maybe I'm hoping that me saying

"HEY, I'M ME AND I'M SCREWING THIS UP!!!"

can help me to not be disgusted with myself. I'm not accountable to anyone here for anything, only to myself in the end. I need to figure out how to make me care more about me in order to stay on track I think. Good Luck to you! I hope to see you around!
clbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 157/134.5/125

Height: 5'1"

Wink

Thanks for your post, Kandy. I find your honesty and humility very helpful. I am happy to hear that you are back. I have been on IP for almost two months and find myself eating that one extra bar and skipping dinner or even eating dinner and adding an extra bar. I can rationalize just about anything, so I tell my self that it doesn't matter etc. I seem to learn better from someone admitting what hasn't helped them or what doesn't work for them. I guess it must come from my rebellious, old hippie, mentality. Rules are made for other people. Maybe my "saying it out loud" will help me to refocus my goals.
lynnemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #13  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Kandy - and everyone, It is so true that we all do things we would rather have not done.

While I haven't gained all of it back, I was up 15 pounds from my lowest weight that I was at one year ago. I've gone back on P1 and have now taken off 10 of those pounds, but I still need to get the last 5-6 pounds off. It's a struggle - and its a struggle to maintain. I wish it was easy. I really wish I could eat those foods that I miss and love.

I completely understand your frustration. I know you can do this, though, because you did it before. Just get into the groove and do it. I found that I'm using more alternatives this time around, than IP products, and they work just as well. My daily snack is a Quest bar.

But it's an ongoing process, for sure.

Just check in on these boards every day. Post on the 90% and the what are you eating, daily chat, etc. When you get to your goal weight - or even near it - begin reading the Maintainers thread. Those people there are really vigilant in watching what they eat. They inspire me.

Most of all, be loving and gentle and kind to yourself. We are human beings living in these human bodies. It's a challenge, but a wonderful experience.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #14  
maintaining since 9/2013

Kandy, I've been thinking about your post, not everything you wrote but the tone reflected in your title "failer IPer". I wanted to add my support to your doing IP on your own terms, terms that so clearly reflect your successful experience in losing weight, and that you have thought so carefully about. The generic IP protocol sheets are given to all IPers, whether it's a 22 year old 6'2" tall male who works out everyday, or a 60 year old 5'2" female with a desk job who hates to sweat. (sorry if I seem to be sterotyping, lol!)

IP was never intended to be followed to the letter. Rather, the coaches have been trained to customize it to fit the needs of the individual. That means the diet IS flexible, and in fact SHOULD be tweaked. I learned the hard way that my brain needs more food than is allowed on P1 just to string 2 coherent thoughts together. Yet I considered that extra food as 'cheating' and am pretty certain I was viewed that way when sharing my experiences on some of the threads. So I understand your reticence to be candid.

I just did 4 weeks of P1--my way--and realize what an incredibly empowering tool it can be, if you don't use the protocol sheet to beat yourself up. There's no magic to the diet, really. It certainly doesn't demand perfection to work, as long as you understand and stick to the variations that work for you.

The things IP doesn't have nailed down, imho, are the messier behavioral issues of food/carb addiction, emotional eating, etc. This is NOT a criticism, in fact, they don't even claim to address those things (though the coaches and videos can help). Each of us must figure out a way that works to maintain--it's a steep learning curve and just because there is a regain doesn't mean the dieter has failed.

This is a longwinded way to say that you are NOT a failed IPer, rather an empowered and wiser 2nd-time-arounder. IP works, it worked for you, and can work again. You are a soon-to-be maintainer with a lot more knowedge than you had the first time. I could write a book about my missteps and pitfalls after P1 that made me regain 12 lbs twice in less than a year. Like you, I know how to lose weight now, and how to make IP fit me if I need it again.

Wishing you all the best and hope to see you somewhere in the threads!

Last edited by mars735; 05-24-2014 at 05:33 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Kandy, I've been thinking about your post, not everything you wrote but the tone reflected in your title "failer IPer". I wanted to add my support to your doing IP on your own terms, terms that so clearly reflect your successful experience in losing weight, and that you have thought so carefully about. The generic IP protocol sheets are given to all IPers, whether it's a 22 year old 6'2" tall male who works out everyday, or a 60 year old 5'2" female with a desk job who hates to sweat. (sorry if I seem to be sterotyping, lol!)

IP was never intended to be followed to the letter. Rather, the coaches have been trained to customize it to fit the needs of the individual. That means the diet IS flexible, and in fact SHOULD be tweaked. I learned the hard way that my brain needs more food than is allowed on P1 just to string 2 coherent thoughts together. Yet I considered that extra food as 'cheating' and am pretty certain I was viewed that way when sharing my experiences on some of the threads. So I understand your reticence to be candid.

I just did 4 weeks of P1--my way--and realize what an incredibly empowering tool it can be, if you don't use the protocol sheet to beat yourself up. There's no magic to the diet, really. It certainly doesn't demand perfection to work, as long as you understand and stick to the variations that work for you.

The things IP doesn't have nailed down, imho, are the messier behavioral issues of food/carb addiction, emotional eating, etc. This is NOT a criticism, in fact, they don't even claim to address those things (though the coaches and videos can help). Each of us must figure out a way that works to maintain--it's a steep learning curve and just because there is a regain doesn't mean the dieter has failed.

This is a longwinded way to say that you are NOT a failed IPer, rather an empowered and wiser 2nd-time-arounder. IP works, it worked for you, and can work again. You are a soon-to-be maintainer with a lot more knowedge than you had the first time. I could write a book about my missteps and pitfalls after P1 that made me regain 12 lbs twice in less than a year. Like you, I know how to lose weight now, and how to make IP fit me if I need it again.

Wishing you all the best and hope to see you somewhere in the threads!
I love this post!!! This is so true well said.
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote